Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got any solution for making these things not leak at the factory manifolds? it also leaks where it clamps together was going to buy another one but trying to fix this one instead weld bend it hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?:mad:

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Grinder, welder, and weld through primer, problem solved, it will still have a ticking noise to it due to the design of the x though.

1. remove your factory studs and grind off the "lip" around the non threaded area, that lets the flange fully slip onto the studs, or do it the ghetto way and replace the stud/nut design with some bolts.

2. Ditch the clamps and weld it

3. scrap the junk, and build your own mid pipe---thats about all this thing is good for (scrap pipe).

·
Registered
638 Posts
well i was gonna buy this....

ive herd nothing but problems with the fitment.

Anyone tried UPR? they seem to be decently priced

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mines welded sounds great and finally trouble free hahaha.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
im sure glad i have the old style pypes mid. I never had a problem at all with it

·
Registered
817 Posts
well pypes claim that it fits without leaks and no modification is required. thats complete bullshit. whenever you get something, modify it to your specific application, but be careful in the process. in the fabrication process.... fit, fit again, and refit before any welding. tack welds are acceptable. idk if u need to weld but the same goes for chopping. chop only what you need to take off and then fit, its important to take only small increments, you can take more off but you cant put more back on. ;)

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
well pypes claim that it fits without leaks and no modification is required. thats complete bullshit. whenever you get something, modify it to your specific application, but be careful in the process. in the fabrication process.... fit, fit again, and refit before any welding. tack welds are acceptable. idk if u need to weld but the same goes for chopping. chop only what you need to take off and then fit, its important to take only small increments, you can take more off but you cant put more back on. ;)
sure you can, you already stated welding, you can always weld a little bit back on if you cut to much off

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Back when I was running a pypes o/r x, I had zero issues with leaks, other than where the clamps are, which I just had to tighten them down a lil.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
i have both the pypes cat'd x and catback with no leaks since day one (after 1 readjustment). double and tripple check that you have the joints fully inserted into each other before clamping because they are slotted! Make sure and use the reducer on the drivers side that comes with the kit (at least it did with the cat'd one) and a new gasket on the right.

I did this writeup for AM :

Pypes 409 Stainless Steel Catted Mustang X-pipe (1999-2004 GT) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts