Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with Pypes 3 piece design of their x-pipe? Its a decent price and cool that it can be converted to on/off road but the picture nor description says whether it comes with straight pipes. It only shows the CATS.

Item Detail

Pypes Performance Exhaust - Crossovers

Thanks,
Kody

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know where to find "racing pipe" inserts for either the Pypes or SLP "modular" x pipe exhaust? Neither site sells them but says you can interchange them. Also i was wondering if i could just go to a machine shop with measurments and have them cut me a piece to clamp in place of the racing inserts. I cannot find those "racing pipe" inserts to save my life :/

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
What is a racig pipe insert? I have the pypes O/R x-pipe. Its 3 pieces, 2 pipes coming from the manifolds and then the actual X. No cats. But you can buy the cats seperately and add them later if you wanted. The only thing is that when you add the cats you have to cut the pipes coming from the manifold. So if you wanted to go back to no cats you're kind of SOL. I'm not sure if that answered your question about the straight pipes but yeh....................

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
ive had 2 friends have horrible luck with pypes o/r x pipes. couldnt get them to stop leaking, and poor fitment. one went with a bbk o/r x, and the other to a summit racing o/r h. both much happier.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at the SLP designed 3 piece one which is a catted x pipe but the cats are held on with clamps. In the description it says you can swap the cats out for "racing inserts" which turn it into an o/r pipe. Both the Pypes and SLP come with cats with clamps but no straight pipes to take the place of the cats.

Catted 1996 - 1998 V8 Mustang SLP X-Pipe

I did some research on the racing inserts and on a forum they said that the companies stopped making inserts because they were getting grief from the law that it was "too easy" to swap between legal and illegal. idk whats true or false.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got one on my car, and for the price its Not terrible...but when i get the money I'll be swapping it out for probably the bbk. Not happy with the fitment and it does leak a little. Not much, but enough to annoy the piss out of me lol. So basically, again, not bad for the money, but if you've got the extra cash, I'd go with a different choice

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If all you want is to be able to swap from catless to catted, then just buy the setup that comes with cats. Cut the pipe so the cats can be put on. Now go to an exhaust shop, tell them that you need a piece ----- long (should be the same length as the cats) and get them to expand the ends of the pipe on each side so it will slip over the aftermarket pieces. Go home, pull the clamps off, pull the cats out, put your new tubes the exhaust shop made on the pipes, but the clamps on, BOOM you done!!!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Reps to you newb :lol

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
i know the old x was crap. i just pulled one off a mach and it was actually a good fit :dunno its an o/r x, he is wanting to sell it as well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I think they really do carry EVERYTHING!!!!!! I have yet to need something and them not have it.
yea i just about order everything i need from them some prices are more some are less but I've never had a problem with them, great service lots of parts!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rusty- you are a life saver!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts