Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get a QA1 member, do I have to run a coil overs or tubular a arms with it? I know there's a few k members you can use with stock a arms and that stuff.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea true. Didnt know if I could get by on the stock stuff. What about stock struts Nd springs? Do the coil overs replace the springs or something? Idk how that works to be honest

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yea true. Didnt know if I could get by on the stock stuff. What about stock struts Nd springs? Do the coil overs replace the springs or something? Idk how that works to be honest
Your gonna have to find a coil over kit you like then get some struts they will work with. Yes it will eliminate your stock springs and you would have to pick up some aftermarket shocks/struts. Unless theres a C/O kit that works with the stock shocks/struts that I havent seen.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The only reason I see anyone wanting a tubular K is for the weight for racing, if you race why would you put stock style springs back in? Coil over's enable you to lower or slam (in my case) the car and still be great at the strip if setup right. You can not fit a pinkey finger in between my fender and tire and it never rubs or bottoms out and launches great. Plus Coil overs shed even more weight vs the standard thick heavy springs, add some tubular A-Arms and that sheds even more weight.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay cool thanks, how did you modify your stock struts?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
The QA1 is a 1/4 mile and MODERATE only DD "K" :yes

It is NOT to be used for open-track/AX/hard-cornering, as it is just not strong-enough for these activities. IMO, to install OEM "A" arms and an aftermarket "K" is just plaiin :crazy

As for running an OEM located spring, you would need to address the upper perch, as the OEM "K" has this and the QA1 does not. There must be someone who makes an upper perch, but CO's are all but mandatory going aftermarket "K"

Shaun... What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?*

Jazzer :)

*eat it, john :p

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lmao true, very well put sir. I guess I just wasnt sure on everything I need. But makes more sence now.

So basically, the coilovers are now the front springs. Which I can adjust it however I want pretty much? What would be a good spring rate?

Then, I can use the stock struts, but need some modifications, like what?

As far as the ultimate goals for the car, a reliable DD, and decent setup for the dragstrip. Not looking to get every little thing out of it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Okay cool thanks, how did you modify your stock struts?
the top of the top struts have a piece of metal that sits on top like a dish. all you do is grind or drill the spot weld out and it comes off the top. You do this so you can slide the sleave over the strut so the spring has a place to sit. If your struts are off, you can see what I am talking about. They give complete instructions in the kit when you buy it.

I like the kit k-member alot for the reason of room that it gives. You can even get to the back bolt on the starter really easy:). I don't drive my car as a DD but I wouldn't be afraid of doing it with the QA1. They are not as strong as some of the more expensive kits but if your not doing Road Race Courses you will be fine.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh okay cool thanks man. Easy as **** then.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ there you go.... :yes

I knew someone had to make such an item and the bird's got the werd!

I used to run 300# front springs on conventional CO's. Were great on the street, but not nearly heavy enough for AX or open track. They will, however, be too heavy for a 1/4 mile focused ride. Therefore, you must make a decision, grasshopper.

PS. STILL would not go OEM located springs, though :no

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll just use the coil over kit that comes with the kit. I'm just not sure on the spring rate

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Just remember that 300# is very similar to your average lowering spring, in terms of ride quality :yes

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks jazzer

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
since your on a limited budget, IMO spend the money on something that counts.

on a d/d that sees the track once or twice a year, the whole k member/coilover set up is a noisy waiste of money.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definatley agreed with that. But I have come up with plans I want to do to my car this winter. So I want to get the car ready. K member with coilovers, bigger brakes, etc...

I will be making for track passes, I'm just a bit worried with the input shaft, and gay vortech throwing belts.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Definatley agreed with that. But I have come up with plans I want to do to my car this winter. So I want to get the car ready. K member with coilovers, bigger brakes, etc...

I will be making for track passes, I'm just a bit worried with the input shaft, and gay vortech throwing belts.
my point exactly, the money you'll spend on the k member/coilovers & brake upgrade (not needed in your case either IMO, I've seen stock brakes haul down cars that are much faster than you'll ever be shooting for) will pay for the input shaft & fixing your belt issue.

that said, if your mind is made up & you have the money to do all your plans, then by all means do them & have fun with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts