Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have an 86 Mustang and am thinking about deleting the quad shocks. What do I need to do/get to do this job?

You shouldn't have a problem taking them off, should you have wheel hop, just get some better control arms and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i can just take them off? I am gonna be honest here and say that I know nothing about suspension systems, wont the back of the car sag down or is the spring strong enough to hold it up? I am getting aftermarket upper and lower control arms very soon

·
Registered
371 Posts
So i can just take them off? I am gonna be honest here and say that I know nothing about suspension systems, wont the back of the car sag down or is the spring strong enough to hold it up? I am getting aftermarket upper and lower control arms very soon

no it wont sag it isnt the main shock back there, its accually tiny, someone else can answer you and the differences in driving without them as mine are still on, but mine must be junk as it still wheel hops sometimes

·
Registered
698 Posts
Shocks don't supply any support for the suspension, they just dampen movement. You can remove the horizontal shocks in the rear with no noticable changes during normal driving. They just dampen axel wrap. You can not, however, remove the vertical shocks. It is dangerous to drive any vehicle without suspenion shock absorbers.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I had a 73 Grande that the rear shocks pushed into the trunk when the upper mounts rusted out (basically, no rear shocks). It was quite entertaining driving around like that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think im not going to delete my quads, ive been readin around and the wheel hop issue doesnt sound like too much fun

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think im not going to delete my quads, ive been readin around and the wheel hop issue doesnt sound like too much fun

if you stiffen up the rear end it wont wheel hop, the thing i was wondering is does it still corner as good...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i've also heard that without them the cornering wont be as good, thats not a concern for me caue I already took my front sway bar off and I'm only really looking for straight line performance

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
if you stiffen up the rear end it wont wheel hop, the thing i was wondering is does it still corner as good...
The rear solid axle is located by the upper and lower control arms. The quad shocks have little to do with dampening up and down axle movement so removing them will not effect handling much.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The rear solid axle is located by the upper and lower control arms. The quad shocks have little to do with dampening up and down axle movement so removing them will not effect handling much.

ok thanks ryan

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
like it has been said as long as u put on some aftermarket control arms you should be able to remove the quad shocks with no problems......if you remove them without aftermarket control arms you will have wheel hop

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
just gonna go ahead and throw the old +1 up here on wheel hopping with out quads. Cause my car does it really bad, but my car is a 79 model and they had slapper bars back then.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
yeah, the quad shocks were designed to dampen wheel hop and don't really have much other function. With upgraded control arms and especially bushings you shouldn't need them. Although I still have them on my 89...

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
i know this is old, but i used the search function and it helped! other people should do this too. my quad shocks are removed i have lakewood upper and lower and i have no hop at all. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts