Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

My dad and I are going to look at a 4runner today that is about an hour and a half from us. The guy is not very good with english, but everything on the car looks good so far.

Aside from that HERE is the real question.

The guy said that he made the last car payment to the bank last week (then presumably listed it right after). His bank is in Ohio ~8-10 hours from us and they have the title, from what we understand.

What is the safest way for us to purchase the vehicle today if the mechanic gives us the ok? Can my dad just have him sign on the Bill Of Sale and that be enough to trust him to send us the title after the bank mails it? What do we need to do? We've never purchased a car from a private party. We don't want to risk anyone trying to jerk us around.

Be detailed! I will rep.... Thanks MM

·
missippi roolz
9,242 Posts
Do the entire deal between your bank and his if possible. You want to verify for certain the his bank truly does have the title on hand and that they will send it to you/your bank when your funds clear. Will make the whole process much smoother/trustworthy for both parties if the banks do all the work.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
How much $ are we looking at?. I would assume it is fairly new if it's not titled yet. Normally when you pay off a car the title arrives in the mail promptly after. I would talk to the guys bank and see what is going on. Doesn't speak English, no title, selling it right after he paid it off is raising some red flags. I would look at it and if everything seems legit tell him you will buy it pending a title in hand.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the entire deal between your bank and his if possible. You want to verify for certain the his bank truly does have the title on hand and that they will send it to you/your bank when your funds clear. Will make the whole process much smoother/trustworthy for both parties if the banks do all the work.
Ok, thanks for that advice. The guy said that we could go to his bank's location in bowling green and talk to them about setting it up. We're meeting him in 2 hours at his local Toyota dealership.

How much $ are we looking at?. I would assume it is fairly new if it's not titled yet. Normally when you pay off a car the title arrives in the mail promptly after. I would talk to the guys bank and see what is going on. Doesn't speak English, no title, selling it right after he paid it off is raising some red flags. I would look at it and if everything seems legit tell him you will buy it pending a title in hand.
It's not that new. My dad wanted a 2004-06 4wd one for hunting and fishing. I think it's a 2005 or something. So, it's just a $14,000 vehicle. The guy just said he's from Ohio and he had been making payments through his bank in bowling green, but it's the same bank that he said the title is with in Ohio. He must have taken the loan out with the company in Ohio. He said he has paid off the title, but it's only been a few days since he has. He speaks english, just not like us and not as clear lol.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

We just went to our bank and they said if his bank notarizes the bill of sale and we pay with a cashier's check, it would give us legal hold on the vehicle and he'd HAVE to send us the title or face legal action. Thoughts?

·
missippi roolz
9,242 Posts
People have loans on vehicles of all ages :dunno

We just went to our bank and they said if his bank notarizes the bill of sale and we pay with a cashier's check, it would give us legal hold on the vehicle and he'd HAVE to send us the title or face legal action. Thoughts?
Like I said, if the bank has got you covered and they are able to be in contact with the other bank, I wouldn't even worry about it. Either the owner has the title or the bank has the title. If the title is in the mail on it's way to the owner then I would hold off until he shows proof of it.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Ohio doesn't send new titles. They release the lien and then the owner of the vehicle can go to the BMV and have a title printed without the lien showing on it. It's all digital there now. I bought my mustang in a similar type of deal. He paid off the loan. Couple days later, we went to BMV, they printed a free and clear title, he signed it to me and the lady at the BMV even notarized it for me.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the 4runner is immaculate. Waiting on an inspection to make sure everything is good mechanically. It doesn't look like a 10 yr old vehicle. Next is dealing with the title if the inspection comes back ok. Thanks for the comment, slik.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts