Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know who to believe.... please help

I have a 2013 Mustang V6 Convertible with the Pony package

I am thinking of upgrading my rims from the stock 18 inch to 19 inch when my turns require replacing

The agency guys told me not to upgrade them as that might damage my transmission although from what I know from working in an accessories shop 3 years ago, you can always upgrade the rims by 1 or inches safely without hurting your transmission

My friend tells me that I can upgrade the rims, but I need to change the gear ratio to match the rim size, and that would void the warranty

He said that if I upgrade the rims and don't change the gear ratio, the car will run fine but in bout 3 years the transmission will break

I don't know who to believe, and with that said, it seems it is best to stick to the stock rims or just get a diff. model 18 inch rims ?

Please explain with some details

thank

These are the current rims that I have:

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
It's not going to hurt your transmission. Go for it guys go from 18 to 20 all the time it will be fine

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
You can go up to 20" just fine. That all sounds completely ridiculous.

·
Zippy Zip Custom \/
1,167 Posts
The only thing that could change is if the outer diameter of the new tire is different than the old the speedometer will not be accurate. Otherwise its fine.

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Holy crap. I don't know where to begin with the advice that's been given to you.

I thin you need to stop listening to your friend when it comes to car advice.spasegohst is correct.
THIS!

Your first question to the guy saying it would damage your transmission would first be: HOW?

I wonder what kind of answer he'd give you.

In any case, you are completely safe in swapping wheels out.

For what its worth, I went with 19" shortly after I bought my car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
changing your rim size will not affect anything on your car except your mph on your speedo and it wont be by much maybe 5 mph the most (but who pays attention to speed limits , jk). not sure if the new stangs have tire pressure monitoring systems but if yours does you will have to by new bands and have your current system swapped to the new rims (its not expensive). i work at sears auto center and i see people do this all the time.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
^True, if you get different wheels and go with an oe set with monitors it shouldn't matter, but an aftermarket set will need the sensors or the light wil always be on. If the light is on that's it, it won't affect anything else or make your car catch fire, lol.

I thin you need to stop listening to your friend when it comes to car advice.spasegohst is correct.
Agreed. Whoever told you all this **** is on drugs. I'm a licensed mechanic with about 15 years in the trade btw.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
In order to keep the speedo calibrated, if you don't have a tuner, use a tire/rim calculator to figure out what size rim and tire combo create the same overall tire diameter in comparison to stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts