Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the reason I asked about the Z3 Fenders is I am installing a 03/04 Cobra front bumper facia and I was thinking about doing both at the same time. I dry fitted the bumper today and the stock GT hood hits the top of the bumper facia when attempting to close the hood. I read somewhere that this was an issue, but I thought I read that it was only a 01/02 issue. It looks as though I can modify the core support so both fit, or should I buy another hood...maybe a 2000 R Model Cobra hood? Can somebody educate me on the problem? Oh, I decided against the Z3 fenders. I didn't want you guys calling me a Ricer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Giving it a harder look, it doesn't appear that you can adjust the difference out of it. It looks like I need a different hood, or like I said, I think I could modify the core support in that area to make it work. I'm hesitant to do that because there is no going back and I need to consider that if I plan on changing hoods at anytime in the future. Or should I just change the hood now and if so, which hood will handle the Cobra front bumper facia?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I believe the cobra bumper requires a cobra hood to fit up correctly. get a carbon fiber cobra r hood if ya gotta buy a new hood...save a bunch of weight.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
The holes where the bumper fastens to the top need redrilled back about 3/4 of an inch closer to the engine. You also need to remove material from the header panel to allow the top to angle back toward engine.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I decided not to modify anything and bought a 2000 R Code Cobra carbon fiber hood this afternoon. V.I.S. is an hour away from me, so I drove my truck down there and picked one up. Nice piece, except it is not functional. I'm thinking that I will cut the extracter slits in it myself. Gotta study it somemore.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
jivepepper, i have the full 03/04 front clip, and there is about a 3/4" space between the headlights and the hood, all along the front even where the bumper comes up to meet the hood its there, however the hood is exactly where it needs to be, the lines with the fenders are perfect, do you know how to fix that gap? is that what you were talking about?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Okay, I decided not to modify anything and bought a 2000 R Code Cobra carbon fiber hood this afternoon. V.I.S.
I hope 2000 cobra hood matchs the new bumper as well as the as 2003 cobra hood would.

You still might have the same problem. I think most of the problem is the gt's header panal. Thats the pastic bracket that fastens the bumper cover to the radiator support.

The top holes that the push pins for the bumper cover go through are in the wrong posistion on the GT for the 03 Cobra bumper. This causes the top on the bumper to come in contact with the hood when closing.

jivepepper, i have the full 03/04 front clip, and there is about a 3/4" space between the headlights and the hood, all along the front even where the bumper comes up to meet the hood its there, however the hood is exactly where it needs to be, the lines with the fenders are perfect, do you know how to fix that gap? is that what you were talking about?
Well with a hood designed for a gt the hood actually hits the top of the bumper enough that you can't close the hood. So the holes for the push pins need to be redrilled farther back. Mine still touchs a little, But there's no gap.

Since yours is the whole kit I'm not sure why yours has a small gap. Did you change the header panel also?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
it was a gt header pannel, the body shop did all this

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope 2000 cobra hood matchs the new bumper as well as the as 2003 cobra hood would.

You still might have the same problem. I think most of the problem is the gt's header panal. Thats the pastic bracket that fastens the bumper cover to the radiator support.
You could be right and I thought that could be a possiblity. My reasoning was that I'm prepared to do whatever modifications needed to fit the R hood, but I would hate to operate under that same premise with the stock GT hood which I wasn't going to keep over the long haul. That's why I just bit the bullet and bought the R hood now. Are you saying that the header panels are different between the GTs and Cobras?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Are you saying that the header panels are different between the GTs and Cobras?
I'm not totally sure but it seemed that way on mine. Of course I had a stalker hood designed for the 99-04 GT

is this problem re: 03/04cobra front bumper and gt hood still eveident/existent if one goes with a 99/01 cobra front (not cobra r)
Well I know people with the 99-01 Cobra bumpers and never heard them complain about fitment. Just GT's with 03-04 Cobra bumpers and GT hoods. I think either the hood or the header panel is different on the 03 Cobras from all other New Edge (99-04) Mustangs

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure if we have determined whether the header panel is different, or the hood is different, or both. It does appear that it should take a different header panel when comparing the two bumper facias and how they mount to that header panel, but this has not been confirmed. It will probably take a call to your local Ford dealer to find out as it appears nobody here knows for sure. It also appears that the current GT header panel can be modified to make it work as well. I let you know as I get into it more.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
so if i were to buy the 03/04 cobra front...should i buy a hood meant for a gt or for a 03/04cobra....been looking at a cervinis cowl hood
I asked this same question to VSI before purchasing my hood and they stated that all of the hoods are the same. Interestingly enough when looking at FRPP's catalog, they list the 2000 R Model Cobra hood and it clearly states, "Fits 1999-04 Mustang and 1999-01 Cobra".

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I asked this same question to VSI before purchasing my hood and they stated that all of the hoods are the same. Interestingly enough when looking at FRPP's catalog, they list the 2000 R Model Cobra hood and it clearly states, "Fits 1999-04 Mustang and 1999-01 Cobra".
So maybe it's the hood and bumper, and not the header panel?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts