Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The conclusion that I draw from this info is the 03-04 Cobra front bumper facia is different and is the problem. This may even go so far as having a different upper core support piece. Ford and VSI are all stating the hood will fit all 1999 thru 2004 Mustang GTs. And Ford goes onto to state that it will fit all of the Cobras except the 03 and 04. That tells me that all of the hoods are indeed the same and shouldn't effect your decision on what hood you select. It's the 03/04 Cobra bumper facia that is the problem. We just need to know if it is the header or the bumper facia that is the cause...or maybe both. This also means that I will have this same issue despite buying a 2000 R Model hood.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i work on cars for a living...and yet im lost for once....where is this header [panel located?
There is a plastic fiber based upper core support piece that the two upper bumper facia sections mount to. This is the left & right extensions of the bumper that surround the grill. They are held on by two clips, one on each side. They are exposed when the hood is open. It appears the GT upper core support is stepped to accomodate the GT bumper. When looking at the Cobra bumper facia, there is no step to match the core support step and it makes it appear that the core support is incorrect. What everyone is saying, is to redrill the two mounting holes in the core support to position the Cobra bumper so it doesn't interfere with the hood. Because of the step in the core support for the GT bumper, it makes me think that the Cobra core support is different. Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If thats the case, then there would only be one core support for all Mustangs including Cobras in 03/04?

·
Registered
748 Posts
well per latemodelrestoration.com there is only one core support and header panel available which fits all 99-04. same goes for bumper support, insulator and hardware. no hood lists saying it fits only a specific car.

headrer panel
Header Panel - Latemodel Restoration Supply

core support
Radiator Support - Latemodel Restoration Supply

front fascia/bumper cover
Bumper Cover - Latemodel Restoration Supply

bumper support
Bumper Support - Latemodel Restoration Supply

bumper insulator
Bumper Insulator - Latemodel Restoration Supply

bumper reinforcements and other hardware
Bumper Hardware - Latemodel Restoration Supply

hoods
Hoods - Latemodel Restoration Supply

·
Registered
748 Posts
Read....more Proof??

upon some research/general reading....during my insomnia

(source MM&FF June 2007 issue)
Mike Jonas of SSBC owns/built a 99-04 Mustang GT. i bring this up because he used the stock GT front bumper cover(fascia) and used a OEM 03/04 Cobra Hood.

direct quote from article

"installing a cobra hood presented a minor challenge, though, because its shorter than the GT unit, so Mike added some material at the fascia using urethane body filler which filled in the gap for a more sculptured look."

this further supports mynew belief that it is the hood and bumper which are made to match one another. This also supports the basis that the core supports and header panels and bumper supports and so forth are all the same for all 99-04 mustangs. The use of one part and not the other (03/04 cobra hood/bumper) will cause issues/require modification.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
^ exactly.

the basic issue is:

on the GT bumper the part circled in red is too short to meet the hood properly.

there is about an inch gap. it will in fact fit on there but it leaves a unclean gap between the 03-04 Cobra hood and the stock bumper.
if you were to do it the other way around and get the bumper and try to keep the stock hood those same pieces circled in red would be too long and you would need to adjust the stock hood about an inch.
so in conclusion.. just get both unless you want to do some fab work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, the reason I asked about the Z3 Fenders is I am installing a 03/04 Cobra front bumper facia and I was thinking about doing both at the same time. I dry fitted the bumper today and the stock GT hood hits the top of the bumper facia when attempting to close the hood. I read somewhere that this was an issue, but I thought I read that it was only a 01/02 issue. It looks as though I can modify the core support so both fit, or should I buy another hood...maybe a 2000 R Model Cobra hood? Can somebody educate me on the problem? Oh, I decided against the Z3 fenders. I didn't want you guys calling me a Ricer.
I believe the cobra bumper requires a cobra hood to fit up correctly. get a carbon fiber cobra r hood if ya gotta buy a new hood...save a bunch of weight.
Do you have to change heading pannel when putting a cobra bumper on my 2004 gt

21 - 33 of 33 Posts