Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 5.0 MT. I installed the JLT CAI and put in the Bama 93R tune and only got 9 RWHP more. Does this sound right to any of you guys? The stang is stock except for the CAI and tune. I went to a local dyno and had the car baselined in stock form and it put down 370 rwhp. Two days later, after installing the CAI and tune, at the same dyno shop, it put down 379 rwhp. This just does not seem right compared to what I have read all over the internet for these cars. Please let me know if I am expecting to much from this mod.

It just does not seem right to me.....any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. I also will be installing a Boss 302 intake in the next week or so. What type of gain to you think I will be getting with the CAI and Boss intake w/ a tune. I just want an idea, i know that a lot of factors are involved. Are there anyone on here that has this similar setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
I am about to add a BAMA SCT tune to my Airaid intake in the next month and I hope to god I get better than a 9 RWHP gain with the combo. What was the temperature outside on the 1st day and then the 2nd day? That could defiantly have an impact on the results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am about to add a BAMA SCT tune to my Airaid intake in the next month and I hope to god I get better than a 9 RWHP gain with the combo. What was the temperature outside on the 1st day and then the 2nd day? That could defiantly have an impact on the results.
Both days were in the 40's...and yeah, I am kinda upset about the outcome....lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would not let the dyno numbers bother you. The more important stat is "how does the car feel now to you?" If you can feel the difference in responsiveness and power then the tune and CAI added a lot more then 9rwhp.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
I think it's just a tad low, but you'll get more gains from getting rid of the stock cats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not let the dyno numbers bother you. The more important stat is "how does the car feel now to you?" If you can feel the difference in responsiveness and power then the tune and CAI added a lot more then 9rwhp.
To be honest, the car actually felt better without the CAI and tune in it...:confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
To be honest, the car actually felt better without the CAI and tune in it...:confused:
If that's true there is probably a bad string of code in the tune somewhere, or a file got partial corrupted. Something along those lines would cause lower performance. One of the guys on another forum loaded the Steeda tune and his car wouldn't start after, all it ended up being was a bad file. Steeda sent him a new one and it was up and running again. Not sure if you have called Bama or not yet, but I would.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
It might be a bad tune then. When I got my CAI and 93 aggressive tune from BBR, I definitely felt the difference and the car ran faster and harder than stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's just a tad low, but you'll get more gains from getting rid of the stock cats.
Thats what I am thinking also. I have read nothing but positive outcomes from this mod. I was really disappointed....:(

I am really thinking it may be something with the tunes. I took the 93 tune out and loaded the 89 tune and it actually feels better than the 93 tune. I am using 93 octane fuel too.

As I was looking at the stock and mod dyno sheets, I noticed that at peak power stock (370.5 @ 6641) the A/F was at 12.1, the CAI and tune test peak
(379 @ 6580) was at 12.5. Unless I am confused about this, shouldn't the A/F be a bigger difference than .4 with adding in more air with the CAI?

What A/F ratio are some of you getting with this similar MOD? I am thinking of maybe trying a tune from another vendor. I am also wondering if maybe all of the tests are actually giving you the average WHP in the ads. If that is the case then my numbers are closer to what they say. My average WHP stock was 268 and modded it was 282...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that's true there is probably a bad string of code in the tune somewhere, or a file got partial corrupted. Something along those lines would cause lower performance. One of the guys on another forum loaded the Steeda tune and his car wouldn't start after, all it ended up being was a bad file. Steeda sent him a new one and it was up and running again. Not sure if you have called Bama or not yet, but I would.
yeah, i called them and I was told that it may be the difference between the actual dyno's itself. Theirs will read different than the one I was on. I dont buy that completely.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It might be a bad tune then. When I got my CAI and 93 aggressive tune from BBR, I definitely felt the difference and the car ran faster and harder than stock.
Did you have it dynoed? If so, what was your A/F through the run? Which CAI do you have?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not really sure what you can do if they are refusing to admit the tune they sent might have an error. Bama does free tunes for life I think, you could always just ask for a new 93 tune and see if that fixes it? Wish I could be of more help. I am working with Steeda for a lot of my mods, so that is who I will be getting my tune from once I finally pick up my car.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Did you have it dynoed? If so, what was your A/F through the run? Which CAI do you have?
I haven't had it dyno'd yet with the tune, but it's worked for me for the past few months and driving across country from NC to Cali. I have a JLT CAI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really sure what you can do if they are refusing to admit the tune they sent might have an error. Bama does free tunes for life I think, you could always just ask for a new 93 tune and see if that fixes it? Wish I could be of more help. I am working with Steeda for a lot of my mods, so that is who I will be getting my tune from once I finally pick up my car.
Yes, they do...I actually have another set of tunes from them for my yet to be installed boss 302 intake. Hopefully, this setup and tunes will be worth the money. If not, I should have done the exhaust first....:(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a thought, but they might have sent you two 93 tunes set up for the boss intake on accident. Or they could have named them backwards.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Hmmm, very odd that you had this issue. Did you take it back to the same exact dyno?

A couple things. The stock air/fuel ratio of 12.1 is rich, vs. the air/fuel ratio of 12.5 is perfect for the 5.0L's. The previous years 05-10 3V GT's liked to be up around 12.8 or even as lean as 13, but the newer 5.0's actually respond better around 12.5-12.6. So it sounds like the air/fuel ratio on the tune is spot-on.

More than likely the knock sensors were pulling timing. A CAI/tune combo kit will usually gain about 20-22 horsepower peak, but throughout the curve you're looking at as much as 30+RWHP/RWTQ, not just looking at the peak numbers.

I would give the Bama team a call Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764 and speak directly to Mike Wilson. Let him know that I sent you over. He'll take good care of you and make sure the tune is 100%.

We send out hundreds of 2011 tunes each week and get many datalogs and dyno results back where the gain ALOT more than 9hp, so I'm thinking it's related either to the knock sensors or an error in how the tune was written, which Mike will check for you.

Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hmmm, very odd that you had this issue. Did you take it back to the same exact dyno?

A couple things. The stock air/fuel ratio of 12.1 is rich, vs. the air/fuel ratio of 12.5 is perfect for the 5.0L's. The previous years 05-10 3V GT's liked to be up around 12.8 or even as lean as 13, but the newer 5.0's actually respond better around 12.5-12.6. So it sounds like the air/fuel ratio on the tune is spot-on.

More than likely the knock sensors were pulling timing. A CAI/tune combo kit will usually gain about 20-22 horsepower peak, but throughout the curve you're looking at as much as 30+RWHP/RWTQ, not just looking at the peak numbers.

I would give the Bama team a call Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764 and speak directly to Mike Wilson. Let him know that I sent you over. He'll take good care of you and make sure the tune is 100%.

We send out hundreds of 2011 tunes each week and get many datalogs and dyno results back where the gain ALOT more than 9hp, so I'm thinking it's related either to the knock sensors or an error in how the tune was written, which Mike will check for you.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Yes, it was the exact same dyno. That is why I am so confused about the outcome.

OK, thank you for the info on the A/F. I would assume the stock tune is like that for emission reasons or something like that?

I called this morning and talked to Mike. He is working with me on this issue. He noticed some settings in the tune that for some reason did not save properly the first time.

Thank you for giving me this info Chris.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts