Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got an 1989 gt. it has the typcal ford power steering groan, is there any way to get rid of that noise? i put rebuilt pump on but still there. i'm so frustrated with it. is there an after market pump or maybe changing the rack and pinion, any help please. thanks

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck would?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
pull vacuum on the cap, the pumps have a flaw in design and have a small pocket where air catches, pull vacuum for a few minutes and it will go away

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Mine p.s. pump whines but has fluid i think its just bad. You said you changed it tho. It's possible that you got a bad one, but the chance of that is slim.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Jack car up in the front and let it run to operating temps.. with the car jacked up, slowly turn the steering wheel full lock to full lock. This will get any air bubbles out that maybe in your system.

Also are you using ATF? if not that's your problem

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Also are you using ATF? if not that's your problem
That only applies to stock pumps. If your pump has been replaced or replaced DO NOT use ATF. I didn't realize my pump has been replaced until I ran ATF through the system and now it leaks like no other. I had to flush it 3 times and I have to re-fill it every 3-4 days.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
That only applies to stock pumps. If your pump has been replaced or replaced DO NOT use ATF. I didn't realize my pump has been replaced until I ran ATF through the system and now it leaks like no other. I had to flush it 3 times and I have to re-fill it every 3-4 days.
hmm never ran into that myself but thanks for the heads up

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
I know that, but mine is loud. not a little whine.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
hmm never ran into that myself but thanks for the heads up
No prob. New pumps and pumps that have been rebuilt have different seals that require PS fluid. It's thicker and with ATF they will leak. And I also remember reading something about the stock pumps requiring Type F and not ATF.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I know that, but mine is loud. not a little whine.
When mine gets low on fluid it gets really loud. Does your fluid in the resevoir have bubbles in it or look brown? Drive your car for a little bit and shut it off and check. If it has one of those two things, it needs to be flushed. When was the last time it was flushed? I know when mine gets low it will be obnoxiously loud and when I turn the wheel at a stop the car will shake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts