Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i discovered i have the 2 step program on my SCT tuner. i changed the neutral rev limiter to 2500, just enough to see if its working. and it works, but i cant drive over 2500rpms also. so i went back in and made sure my driving rev limiter was at 6k. tried again, same issue. so now i have come here. i havent been able to find a solution in search. anyone know what my issue is? i searched googled earlier today and saw someone removed the neutral safety switch that makes u have to engage the clutch to start, and that fixed the issue, but i wouldnt think you would have to do so if its a program on SCT tuners.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did u every try it on the strategy tune? im thinking maybe its something to do with the person who tuned it, which is in my case Bama tuning.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Those parameters are set up by the tuner.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Now that you mention it, I never thought about trying that. I noticed the option to have different rev limiters for drive and neutral, but never knew why. I'll have to try it on my diablosport and see what happens. But like you guys are saying, I'm not sure how it would recognize drive vs neutral in a manual car..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those parameters are set up by the tuner.
yeah i think i read that somewhere, you have to have the tuner open is so your allowed to use the 2 step.

just tried on the strategy tune, same thing, so i emailed Bama asking how to use it, also emailed SCT with the same question. so hopefully i will have an email tomorrow letting me know. i just dont want to buy the MSD 2 step because to be honest it wont help me out enough on my na setup to buy it, when i go f/i yeah it will help build boost, but if its on my SCT and i can use it, then i will, should help making consistent launches

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yeah, you can't just set it with your handheld. The 2-step limiter is something that has to be done by someone with full access to the SCT software like a custom tuner at a dyno shop.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you can't just set it with your handheld. The 2-step limiter is something that has to be done by someone with full access to the SCT software like a custom tuner at a dyno shop.
well the handheld lets your adjust the setting/rpms, hopefully once Bama gets in touch with me, and send me a new tune to be able to use it, i will be able to adjust the rpms still.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The sct tuner 2 steps are really not good for the cars ... The launch control "2 step" what it does is cut fuel which leans the motor out hook a wideband up to your car and hit the 2 step if you don't believe me ... The best way to have launch control is the msd box which cuts spark , and if you have a boosted car I was ABSOULUTLEY not use sct 2 step function

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The sct tuner 2 steps are really not good for the cars ... The launch control "2 step" what it does is cut fuel which leans the motor out hook a wideband up to your car and hit the 2 step if you don't believe me ... The best way to have launch control is the msd box which cuts spark , and if you have a boosted car I was ABSOULUTLEY not use sct 2 step function
Sorry but that is wrong. There is no fuel so no ignition, so the cylinder is not under a "lean" condition. I've ran a SCT 2-step for about 7 years and hundreds of launches with no engine damage. don't be taken in by internet myths. If a 2-step cuts spark and not fuel does it wash the cylinder and damage the rings?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
This is wrong......

Sorry but that is wrong. There is no fuel so no ignition, so the cylinder is not under a "lean" condition. I've ran a SCT 2-step for about 7 years and hundreds of launches with no engine damage. don't be taken in by internet myths. If a 2-step cuts spark and not fuel does it wash the cylinder and damage the rings?
This is right

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
while I personally have never seen anyone I know have much sucess with the SCT 2 step function apparently it does work in some cases.

as to the MSD cutting spark this is true, but it continues to supply fuel so it's not gonna be a good idea if you still have cats.

bottom line is unless you just at a test & tune event or something to that effect, a 2 step will be illegal at most events the aveage car will fit into et wise anyway, so I personally don't recomend them to anyone who isn't a hardcore bracket racer in a pro/electronics class

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
My prob is it works fine in neutral, but when I put the car in first with the clutch in it stops?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
while I personally have never seen anyone I know have much sucess with the SCT 2 step function apparently it does work in some cases.

as to the MSD cutting spark this is true, but it continues to supply fuel so it's not gonna be a good idea if you still have cats.

bottom line is unless you just at a test & tune event or something to that effect, a 2 step will be illegal at most events the aveage car will fit into et wise anyway, so I personally don't recomend them to anyone who isn't a hardcore bracket racer in a pro/electronics class
well thats all i do, test n tune. i have no desire to get hardcore into drag racing, its just something i do on friday nights or a saturday at the track with my buddies. just would like to have that consistant launch without looking at my rpms

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if anyone is haveing issue, contact your tuner. in my case i have free tunes with BAMA tuning that came with my SCT tuner from American Muscle, they are setting up my tune so i will be able to use this feature.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm a little late to this party, but I'll throw in my 2c.

JayC and tbird are correct. The SCT 2-step does cut fuel completely. With no fuel, there's nothing to detonate. I wouldn't bounce off the limiter for an extended period of time, but it works well for a second or so at the tree. I use the SCT 2-step and it works acceptably well (although I do plan to go to an MSD 2-step in the future).

Your tune has to have all the options set correctly before the 2-step will work. Otherwise, it will perform exactly as the OPs did. I had this exact problem when I first got my handheld. I contacted SCT and worked with them to correct the problem. Once they've set up the correct options in the tune, you will be able to fine-tune the 2-step RPM in the handheld's options.

This information was particularly helpful for BAMA in getting mine to work correctly:

Two-step Rev-limiter

With appropriate tuning software, such as Sniper's Delta Force/Commando, (AAA+, my preferred system), twEECer, and SCT's Ford Advantage, it is possible to program the EEC-V Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to provide a 2-step rev limiter. The scalar values that need to be modified are shown below:

Set Clutch Disengage/Neutral Switch to 0;

Set MPH/Disable Neutral Rev Limiter to 0.5 (mph);

Set Rev Limit Neutral On to the desired "step-1" RPM
Some tuning systems, like my Sniper Commando provide this scalar as the set rpm
divided by 4 (I.e. for a 2800 RPM step-1 limit you would set this value to 2800 / 4 = 700).
Some show it as the actual rpm. Set the value as required for your system.

Set Trans Load Switch to 1;

Set Trans Neutral Switch to 0;

That's it, load the tune and go have fun!
Taken from: PaladinMicro

1 - 20 of 22 Posts