Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put it in 1st gear, 2nd gear, 4th, and 5th gear its a smooth shift but when i put it into 3rd, the shifter doesnt go in smooth, like the others, its like i can feel something when putting into 3rd, it still drives smooth, just putting it into the gear isnt like the others. anyone know what this is? should i be worried?

also when im driving i had my windows down, and i can hear a squeaking noise, not when im breaking but driving. it doesnt really go away, any ideas?

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Do you usually downshift into 3rd? and does the squeak sound change while accelerating, turning?..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah i dont really downshift too much at all. the squeal happens all the time, while driving. i dont know where its comming from

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
How many miles on the car? Have you replaced the clutch already?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ Sounds like.

You're gonna have to narrow down the squeaking though, so many things on this car will squeak... one thing that many people overlook that actually will cause a horrendous noise are the side mirrors. If you take the black plastic cover off of the inside on the door, it will expose the 3 bolts and nuts that hold the mirror on. Tighten these. I guess it's the wind and vibrations and all, but they loosen over time. Maaaybeeee your problem. Maybe.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd gear synchro starting to go?

Is that expensive to fix?
thanks

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Honestly might as well have the trans rebuilt with 100k miles, but thats upwards of $600.00. Call Ford dealership first, they'll give you a space station high price. Then call some Trans shops to see. If you can get the trans out yourself and bring it in you may save some loot, but it's not the cheapest thing to fix. I'd have it checked out by a shop first, may not actually be the synchro, hard to say not being in the car.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
LoL BDS who cares man? Reps aren't that important, especially when said person doesn't even put their name. That to me is a neg rep on their part more than yours. Don't stress it. Just give solid, sound advice and it'll be alright, don't feed the fire.

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
LoL BDS who cares man? Reps aren't that important, especially when said person doesn't even put their name. That to me is a neg rep on their part more than yours. Don't stress it. Just give solid, sound advice and it'll be alright, don't feed the fire.
I just find it annoying, and even more when theres no reason. Is just to put me down, but I just figured out who did it he drives a red car....

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Granted its annoying but whoever it was probably doesn't carry much weight for him/herself around here or anywhere anyway, I was just sayin' don't stress.

Red car? ... was it me?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ LoL no one else has even posted here, it was somene who isn't even in the thread?

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
is it a squeak squeak like a mouse or a whrring sound, if it is more of a whrring sound look to your wheel bearing, the hard shift could be a synchro, change your fluid first see if that helps

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yeah go to a shop and have them verify, but it is probably your wheel bearing

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i had 3 mechanics look at it and none of them really know what the squeak is. tonight one said it could be the ball joints. he said there is no play in them but he said something about the lube on them he couldnt do. could this be the problem? replace the struts and ball joints?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts