Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when im driving and i need to come to a stop, i press the clutch in then neutral, clutch out and just brake. when i come to a complete stop with my foot just on the brake, the rpms go up a little to about 1500-2000 then come back down, is this normal? am i doing something wrong? im new to driving stick, my first week. thanks guys

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
when your rpms come up is your car in neutral or do you have the clutch in and are you coasting for a ways? Cuz i know that when i go onto off ramps on the insterstate i just hold the clutch in and coast and the rpms bounce all over. also do you have the a/c or defrost on, my car when i do spikes the rpms when i push the clutch in. and as far as shifting that works, i just tend to down shift to second or first after braking a little ways and slowly let the clutch out to help slow the car down.. just saves on the brakes a little. you will figure it all out in a bit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch in-neutral-clutch out-then brake and stop, just foot on the brake, no clutch and gear in neutral. yea my ac was prob on too. so this doesnt sound like a problem? is there a better way i should be stopping? im not good at down shifting yet. thanks

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
My car does the same thing at times, I think its a sensor in the AC system. It hasn't occurred often enough or done enough to make me search it out. Not like you're doing anything wrong.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
When stopping it is best to use only the service brake.

Using the trans to brake or slow your vehicle can wear out your syncros a lot faster. Unless it's an emergency situation I would avoid downshifting for the purpose of braking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.