Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when im driving and i need to come to a stop, i press the clutch in then neutral, clutch out and just brake. when i come to a complete stop with my foot just on the brake, the rpms go up a little to about 1500-2000 then come back down, is this normal? am i doing something wrong? im new to driving stick, my first week. thanks guys

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
when your rpms come up is your car in neutral or do you have the clutch in and are you coasting for a ways? Cuz i know that when i go onto off ramps on the insterstate i just hold the clutch in and coast and the rpms bounce all over. also do you have the a/c or defrost on, my car when i do spikes the rpms when i push the clutch in. and as far as shifting that works, i just tend to down shift to second or first after braking a little ways and slowly let the clutch out to help slow the car down.. just saves on the brakes a little. you will figure it all out in a bit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch in-neutral-clutch out-then brake and stop, just foot on the brake, no clutch and gear in neutral. yea my ac was prob on too. so this doesnt sound like a problem? is there a better way i should be stopping? im not good at down shifting yet. thanks

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
That's really the most basic way of stopping. Downshifting helps slow you down but in the end at the stop you end up just like you're already doing, neutral with no clutch.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
My car does the same thing at times, I think its a sensor in the AC system. It hasn't occurred often enough or done enough to make me search it out. Not like you're doing anything wrong.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
When stopping it is best to use only the service brake.

Using the trans to brake or slow your vehicle can wear out your syncros a lot faster. Unless it's an emergency situation I would avoid downshifting for the purpose of braking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts