Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so my brother in law is dead set on wasting money getting one of these kits for his car. Its not a mustang (charger) yup he sucks. But im wondering whats the real deal with these.

HERE IS LINK

What im wondering is if i bought the kit and installed the parts. Would this be a good choice and i just swap the turbo for a better one?

I dont plan on cranking to the 100000000hp with my car just a little boost ~5 to give her some extra kick. Im trying to save as much money as i can right now( since the car isnt paid off yet ) and then more power comes later.

Thoughts plz?

Only post known facts not assumtions like most people do please. Im not looking for a hellion install :)

Thanks guys & girls

·
Registered
985 Posts
OK so my brother in law is dead set on wasting money getting one of these kits for his car. Its not a mustang (charger) yup he sucks. But im wondering whats the real deal with these.

What im wondering is if i bought the kit and installed the parts. Would this be a good choice and i just swap the turbo for a better one?

I dont plan on cranking to the 100000000hp with my car just a little boost ~5 to give her some extra kick. Im trying to save as much money as i can right now( since the car isnt paid off yet ) and then more power comes later.

Thoughts plz?

Only post known facts not assumtions like most people do please. Im not looking for a hellion install :)

Thanks guys & girls
I think a little more information is needed.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
NO! Those kits are a waste. The piping is no good. It's not even pre-cut to your car so expect a bunch of extra cost in getting proper fitting piping. The turbos are horribly cast won't last long at all. The couplers are horrible material and blow off the piping all the time. The wastegates are known to lock up and not open resulting overboosting and blowing engines. They are cheap, Chinese knockoff parts that don't last at all. The manifold and downpipe are junk and crack at the slightest abuse.

A friend of mine was dead set on one of these kits as well. He bought one from Ebay for $1,200 thinking how awesome it was that he'd just saved $2,000+ for a turbo kit. He had the same intentions, just low boost and a little kick. Well, a month later and he finally got it up and running after having to dump over a grand into it just to make it fit and work and then over $600 just to get it tuned the best the tuner could due to the horrible intercooler causing lots of boost drop and the crappy blow off valve leaking boost. Well, the car ran ok for 2 days before blowing up on him just cruising around. The crappy seals of the turbo made it go out of balance with the slightest bit of abuse and the fins hit the turbo walls shattering them. The pieces of metal made it through the intercooler and found their way into the cylinders jamming in the piston rings. A year, $3,000, and an engine rebuild later, he has a stock car that he started off with and enough money wasted to buy a legit turbo kit and then some. He kicks himself for it everyday.

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
The least expensive turbo kit worth a **** is the on3 kit. Even then, you get what you pay for . I was quoted about $2200 shipped for what is basically a tuner kit. Comes with MAF flange (Not welded in), 70mm "On3" turbo (basically a fairly cheap knock off) and a small intercooler. Its basically a clone of the Hellion kit only set up for blow thru.

Link: (Ignore the icons at the top and scroll down) Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs

IMHO the best turbo kit is the Powerhouse411 kit. It goes through the A-Arm's so you don't have any ground clearance issues. Starts you out with quality parts and has probably the best fitment. For the price its the best kit out there. If I had the money to do it right the first time this kit would be on my car. Its around $6000 shipped ready to rock. That includes fuel, basic tune (Good enough, but not dyno tune quality) and all the parts needed for the install.

Link for PH411: Turbo SystemsPRIMARY_SECTIONPowerhouse411

Don't waste your time with "Universal" kits or the boost brothers/relentless performance horribleness.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The least expensive turbo kit worth a **** is the on3 kit. Even then, you get what you pay for . I was quoted about $2200 shipped for what is basically a tuner kit. Comes with MAF flange (Not welded in), 70mm "On3" turbo (basically a fairly cheap knock off) and a small intercooler. Its basically a clone of the Hellion kit only set up for blow thru.

Link: (Ignore the icons at the top and scroll down) Turbo Kits for Ford Mustangs

IMHO the best turbo kit is the Powerhouse411 kit. It goes through the A-Arm's so you don't have any ground clearance issues. Starts you out with quality parts and has probably the best fitment. For the price its the best kit out there. If I had the money to do it right the first time this kit would be on my car. Its around $6000 shipped ready to rock. That includes fuel, basic tune (Good enough, but not dyno tune quality) and all the parts needed for the install.

Don't waste your time with "Universal" kits or the boost brothers/relentless performance horribleness.

That sucks you said that because im looking at the Boost Brothers kit. Ive heard good things from the SN95 guys but nothing about our cars. I was kind of suspicious because even their ebay dealer said just look on forums for the reviews (which I cant find) and sent me another guys email for dyno charts and install pictures which he said where on his phone. Haven't gotten any info back yet.

My local dealer may hook me up with an On3 kit which for its price is decent. I haven't heard anyone complain after they bought one but yeah you do get exactly what you pay for.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

sux i have to remove my full duel exaust. But nice find. It would keep me happy since i dont wana spend my years salary on my car lol.

Do you have any pics install for this kit? Also they said i would have to buy injectors, maf, and a bap. Whats a bap? Boost a Pump? took me all day to just figure it might mean that. So if this is true this kit will still cost about 4-5grand if i have to buy a new exaust, extra parts they said. Correct?

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
That sucks you said that because im looking at the Boost Brothers kit. Ive heard good things from the SN95 guys but nothing about our cars. I was kind of suspicious because even their ebay dealer said just look on forums for the reviews (which I cant find) and sent me another guys email for dyno charts and install pictures which he said where on his phone. Haven't gotten any info back yet.

My local dealer may hook me up with an On3 kit which for its price is decent. I haven't heard anyone complain after they bought one but yeah you do get exactly what you pay for.
There are two things wrong with the Boost Brothers kit IMHO. The turbo is even cheaper and more fragile than the ON3 turbo and its going to be a bitch to tune because of the "Turbonetics" like design. Turbonetics even went through like 5 design changes before they could get their cars to a decent tuning point. I can't imagine a cheap knock of will be any better. They are really attractive because they are SO cheap. But I wouldn't buy one. A friend of mine has the BB kit on his SN95 and he likes it, but he still hasn't gotten a good tune on the car and I have a feeling if he does he is still going to be seeing quite a bit of lag. The SN95 kit is totally different, however, and has nothing to do with how the 3 valve (S197) kit will perform.

sux i have to remove my full duel exaust. But nice find. It would keep me happy since i dont wana spend my years salary on my car lol.

Do you have any pics install for this kit? Also they said i would have to buy injectors, maf, and a bap. Whats a bap? Boost a Pump? took me all day to just figure it might mean that. So if this is true this kit will still cost about 4-5grand if i have to buy a new exaust, extra parts they said. Correct?

I do not, but you can find pic's of the On3 install's all over the net. Just search google. Also, it is almost identical to the Hellion kit. So, if you have seen a Hellion kit installed, you've seen the On 3 kit basically. If you want install directions, I would try to find install instructions for a hellion kit.

As far as what you would need;
1. Either a extended range MAF such as SCT's BA5000 or a MAF extender like Diablo's MAFia.
2. Boost-A-Pump or GT500 pumps. I recommend the latter because I hate the idea of overdriving factory hardware that I already don't trust that much.
3. Injectors. I subscribe to the "Do it right once" philosophy as much as I can. So would recommend going a bit overkill, as I would with fuel pumps, and either get 60 pound hour injectors if you plan on running pump gas or at least 80's if your planning on trying E85. The reason I say at least 60's is because the 39's will peter out near the 500-550RWHP range unless you mess with rail pressure and at that point its just a band aid you'll need to fix later. Why buy parts twice?
4. As far as exhaust, you don't need to change anything if you have factory manifolds. Factory Exhaust manifolds are the most ideal for this type of turbo setup (Remote). Ideally you are going to want some type of "straight through" design muffler. Such as Magnaflow Magnapacks for example. But this is not a requirement. Turbo systems work better with lower back pressure and straight through mufflers are ideal for that. If you have long tubes already installed you'll need to get a set of factory manifolds or ceramic coated shorties. But you can sell your LT's, should you have them, and recover some of that money.
5. One Heat range colder Spark plugs. Brisk or HT0's are about the only way to go in my opinion. With Autolite HT0's being preferred.

You can put the kit together and run it for less that 4 grand if you are doing the laber. But its going to be close to that as long as everything goes "right". Also, this would be with a Diablo Mafia, a Boost-A-Pump and 39lb/hr injectors to save on cost. Which is fine on low boost (8 PSI and under) but if you have ever driven a boosted vehicle you already know that once you get used to the boost you want more. Also, eventually you are going to want to upgrade the turbo because the On3 turbo's aren't the best and you will be leaving some spool time on the table if you stick with that turbo. Anything with a billet wheel and a T4 (I think, I'd have to check) flange that is 76MM and under will work on the On3 kit with Precision being your best option. Hopefully this is the kit that will be going on my car and I plan on running a Precision Billet Wheel 6265 with a .81AR hotside. Which should be fully spooled by around 2500RPM's and hold that boost to redline because of the large exhaust housing. In my opinion, the perfect street turbo as long as you don't plan on making more than 600RWHP. If you are careful, you can almost do most of the parts I recommended as "overkill" for $4000. But that would require some luck and some getting some of those parts used. I believe one person on S197forums ended up getting his together for around $3500 with a BAP, 39lb injectors MAFia, Spark Plugs and a Tune. But he did all the labor himself and found some of the parts used.

/rant

P.S. I've done a lot of research on using the On3 kit over the past year or so. If you have any other questions let me know. I spoke with the owner over on Corral and right now he is trying to get some Ceramic Ball Bearing turbo options together branded as On3. Also, I have heard rumor that On3 is on backorder right now. Although, he said he could get the standard kit shipped to my door for around $2400.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts