Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat new to engines and I was wondering, when one gets their heads ported and polished do they need to get new rocker arm's? I could be mistaken but the way I understand heads it just seems like you would if you went too big with your porting. It would also seem that with ported heads a new camshaft might be necessary. Also, another term I've seen on some other automotive sites is a Valve Job. What is a Valve Job? I'm pretty new to performance engines and whatnot and I want to learn this stuff.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
with porting you won't need new rocker arms. 4.6's don't have rocker arms anyways, they have cam followers. you might on a 5.0 for increased valve opening to take advantage of the porting. new cams also aren't necessary, but will exascerbate the effects of the port work. a valve job is simply grinding the valve pocket on the head and the valve's to ensure a perfect, leak free fit. also some valve jobs have certain angles that are performance minded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now if I were to get my heads ported how would I know which cam to get? If I went to a reputable show to get my heads done would they be able to make a solid recommendation?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Theres many types of cams, all depends what you want to get out of your motor.

Do you want to stay N/A or go boost in the future or possibly nitrous. All depends.
I recommend Comp cams, Hi Techs, Cushman Motorsports, theres more some can chime in.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Also a note, best thing to do is find performance shops around you. Decide who you think is the better or well known and most of the time I think its best what they use since they will know more about the parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to assume that based on the context it is used in, N/A is Naturally Aspirated. If that's the case, then yeah I'm keeping her N/A.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also.. I've started looking into the 4.6L and I've noticed that the traditional model of engine that I'm used to doesn't apply... I'm used to dealing with a pushrod engine with rockers and lifters and whatnot... but as has been said in this thread so far the 4.6 doesn't have rockers but has cam followers and since its a SOHC design it doesn't have pushrods either... I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good diagram or exploded view of the 4.6 so that I can familiarize myself with the parts that are in my engine.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Stock rockers/followers are fine.

Have an experienced company do the porting. Bigger isn't always better, velocity has a lot to do with the performance of the heads. I recommend over sized SS valves, bronze valve guides, 5 angle valve port, high pressure valve springs, Viton valve seals, and titanium retainers. Maybe have the heads check for small hair line cracks and any warping if reusing your own..

I bought patriot stage 2 ported stock heads with all that already done for me. The company has had problems in the past but they have since seemed to have resolved them. I have been very happy with mine. They have always made good power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts