Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all know changing out belt sucks for 2 reasons. 1) the tensioner is behind the bracket and two the belt is behind bolts. I was hoping to at least make it easier to loosen the tension on the belt instead of using vice grips, or pushing the tensioner from under the car. My vice grips dont work to well either.

Has anyone used a tool like this before? The smaller one looks like its more suited to fit in there. Has anyone ever tried to use this type of tool on the tensioner with a vortech installed? there enough room to get it to work?

I figured worst case if you just loosen the bolts up some you should be able to fit it on there eventually.

Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648451 Serpentine Belt Tool Kit: Automotive

or this from napa
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7769078_0006537119#

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
You know what the easiest way is? Go on the driver side, and pull the belt as hard as you can. Might want to use some rags so its easier to pull, then the tensioner will pop out from behind the bracket, throw a 3.8 ratchet in there and done! Thats how Ive been doing it to put a new belt on. When my old belts kept tossing a rib, I would just cut them rather then messing with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what the easiest way is? Go on the driver side, and pull the belt as hard as you can. Might want to use some rags so its easier to pull, then the tensioner will pop out from behind the bracket, throw a 3.8 ratchet in there and done! Thats how Ive been doing it to put a new belt on. When my old belts kept tossing a rib, I would just cut them rather then messing with it.
Haha i never thought of that. Are you able to do that on your own? It sounds like you need to have a partner to help.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
If I had to, I could. But I usually have someone to help me. If you had a 3/8 ratchet right next to you, pull the belt as much as the tensioner would let it, keep the pressure with one hand while you throw the ratchet on the tensioner. Its definatley doable, just a pita.

Also yes, it sucks putting a belt on these cars with a centri. Have to back out the bracket, feed the belt in a pita spot, ughhh I dont even want to think about doing it. I was changing belts once every other week because it kept tossing them. Then finally replaced the tensioner, and no more. Now just have belt slip FML!!!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Use some muscle! You should be able to max the tensioner out by just pulling the belt from the driver side. Use your right hand to pull the belt and use your left hand to work the belt off your alternator pulley.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
that tool still wont fit, i went a bought a nice set if channal locks and its easy. i cut the stop on my tensoner and used a real tight belt so there was no muscleing it back. hell my tensoner was so tight the pulley was a half inch away from the water pump.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that tool still wont fit, i went a bought a nice set if channal locks and its easy. i cut the stop on my tensoner and used a real tight belt so there was no muscleing it back. hell my tensoner was so tight the pulley was a half inch away from the water pump.
So you actually bought and tried the tool? I'm not talking about the long one really, just that short one. It looks flat enough to fit in between the bracket.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I used the longer of these pry bars... stick the head betweent he tensioner pulley and tensioner body. The angled head of the pry bar will hook the back side of that pulley, and you just push down on the pry bar. I put quite a few belts on my car by myself with no issues.... i think that is the absolute easiest way, because you have lots of leverage so its easy to hold the tensioner back and it doesnt slip off or come out....

·
Registered
305 Posts
i actually have a tool that Reinhart racing makes for the vortech/mustang. it was kinda expensive, (i think around $50-60), but damn, worth all of the money because i can change a belt with one hand and in about 30 seconds. I hated my vortech system that i was thinking about switching to procharger just for belt change ease, but then i found this tool and couldnt be happier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts