Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few months ago that when i drive my car it studers if i accelerate fairly hard. When i step on it it sounds liike it misses a few times then takes off, mostly noticeable when in 3rd or 4th gear around 1500-2000rpm. Its not near as bad once engine temp comes up. It has been colder outside, so i figure it just needs to warm up. I never noticed it when i bought the car in the summer thoug.... Should i be worried, or does she just need time to warm up? And im assuming its because of the carb

·
Registered
990 Posts
What carb, on what? Have you checked for leaks?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey I'm no mechanic, so take my opinion as someone who just paid someone else to tune their 650dp, because I did. :)
Is it a stock 5.0? If so You won't really be able to just punch that carb ,especially in 3rd or 4th at 1500rpm, you more need to roll into it. It's really quite a bit of carb for a 302.
I would check for leaks at the manifold , and the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
if you punch it does black smoke come out the tail pipes?

could be your just bogging it down in 4th gear at 1500rpm

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its not stock. Ive got a performer 302 intake, 650 DP carb, hyperteuctic KB pistons, trick flow cam, shorty headers blah blah blah... and yea, i know the 650 is overkill lol, but it came with the car and works so im not gonna bother with it haha. and i've never noticed black smoke out the tailpipe when i punch it, im usually keepin an eye out for whats blazin by lol. And i dont PUNCH it, i just give it maybe 1/3 throttle, or less when it sputters. it only sputters till around 2000-2500rpm then takes off. ill check for leaks, but im almost 100% positive it doesnt... do ya'll know of any other possible causes??? I still think it just needs to warm up and it was 10 degrees this morning!!!
Edit: it never sputters when im doing normal driving unless it JUST started it and its been cold.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Cool, glad to hear it's running good. I've had a couple leaks in my days....

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
67 does this. I need to check it out.

Okay, since this thread is done, I have a stupid question. What exactly do carb sizes mean and how do you tell? I feel so stupid but someone just help me out :lol

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Carb sizes are the flow rating in cubic feet per minute (CFM)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Ahhh okay. I gotcha. It all makes sense now.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out this wasnt the the whole problem... still misses a bit but not as bad... do you just think im bogging it down or it just needs to warm up? Cause i said it ran like a dream today, but it was warm. Tonight it stuttered a bit when it got colder

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My car spits and sputters when it's cold. But it's a whole new animal when it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
You can check for leaks again by taking a small LP gas torch and turning on the valve but not lighting it. Run it around the intake and carb base, and even vacuum lines. If it finds a leak the car will rev slightly by burning the LP entering the engine. No messy sprays or ruining paint. Also, check to see if you see the idle transfer slots in the carb throat. If you have a decent size cam and low vacuum at idle, you will turn up the idle enough to close of the transfers and it will idle on the main well and not the idle well circuit. Just my two cents.

Jerry

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My car spits and sputters when it's cold. But it's a whole new animal when it warms up.

Thats EXACTLY like mine. Sputters till it warms up. Thanks again everyone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts