Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my car has been down for a few days while I changed the heads. Before starting the motor I crank it for 30 seconds w/ no plugs or injectors wired up to prime the motor. At first when I do this it sounds like when you try to start a car when the motor is already running. I let off, and re-try and its ok and prime for 30 seconds. Put in plugs hook up injectors and fire up and makes same bad noise so I shut it down.A minute goes by and wtf fire it up again and everything is fine. Drive it for 2 days and all of a sudden it sounds like something is ricosheting (sp?) off my flywheel against the bellhousing and back and forth. It will go away and then 10 miles later come back. Run the piss out of it snagging 2nd and 3rd no noise, drive 3 more miles home and it sounds like a 3 man band in the bellhousing area any ideas? 5speed manual 83,000 miles

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Had broken a tooth on my flywheel before and symptoms are exactly like what you're experiencing. When the gap in the flywheel teeth were in the right position the starter would not crank the motor and you would get that awful metal screeching, raspy whiring noise. And then sometimes when the gap was in another spot the starter would grab the flywheel on it's good teeth and be able to start/crank the engine. This same thing can happen when your starter fails and doesn't kick the gear out far enough to fully grab the flywheel. But your clanging metal rattling noise you hear in your bell housing is the broken tooth/teeth/piece of the flywheel getting caught up in there and bouncing around. It gets quiet when it eventually settles in the bottom, just till you go over a bump the right way again and start being bounced around again.

Time for a new flywheel. Might as well get the clutch too.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
For what it's worth, cranking it to prime the oiling system is pretty much futile.
I was gonna say something about that but figured the motor is been running already so it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found the problem, I dropped a 13mm socket doind the head job on the driver side of the motor that never hit the ground(hate it when that happens).Somehow it must have gone in the starter hole in the bellhousing because when I seperated the dustcover and looked up in the bellhousing thats what I found between the flywheel and block. I was able to come through a grommet on the side of the trans w/a magnet and get it, now off to the dyno to see how the heads helped out the motor. Thanks for the feedback

1 - 7 of 7 Posts