Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quoted $1325 dollars by a shop to have a 31 spline FRPP diff, 31 spline Moser axles, Moroso studs, 4.10 FRPP gears and royal purple fluid, all new bearings also. I am paying 1325 parts and labor, is this deal worth it?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hell no

EDIT: I spent around 700 for parts (all brand new) and install was $225 from a reputable shop in my area. But stuff like this also depends on where you live, IMO.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured 274 for the axles, 259 for the diff and 274 for the gears with the install kit. it seems alittle high

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
gimmie a sec........... *runs off to search*

EDIT: My axles came in with the bearings so you wont need that when you order the install kit for the gears so you should be able to get the basic install kit. that should save you like 30 bucks or so if im not mistaken. That should take away from the total cost but install after install they might be askin for a lil more than I would pay.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm thats a much different price, thank man, I ddnt realize the install would be that cheap

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
remember its going to vary depending on location but damn near 1400 bucks for everything seems high to me :dunno it is considering what I paid anyways

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,541 Posts
If I remember correctly it was roughly: $250 for axles (no bearings), $150 for a complete bearing kit, $150 for gears, $75 for used Explorer differential, $110 for new clutch pack, and $300 for installation. That would be around $1,035 with a used differential. That was a couple of years ago. Prices may have gone up.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
^^ :eek:

Thats expensive for used parts, isnt it? If anything prices have gone down.

·
Registered
890 Posts
That seems a little high. I paid a little less than that for everything including a Detroit trutrac (almost $500 diff). With that said, I regret not doing the work myself as I knew I would.

I didn't know anything about rear ends and took the easy way out, or so I thought. I just had to replace the pinion seal myself after 6 months; it was leaking, probably due to poor install. I would do the research, and do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Regarding the OP, $1300 is reasonable for parts/labor. I have noticed that some here are cheap and will skimp when they should not. Labor is worth paying for if it is high quality. Of course cheap high quality labor is better and free is...

I installed FRPP 31 spline axles and cobra diff 373 with all new bearings, races, and seals. Since it was my first rear end rebuild it took me much longer than it would take for a professional. I can see where paying that much, for quality work, would be worth if for some people.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I installed FRPP 31 spline axles and cobra diff 373 with all new bearings, races, and seals. Since it was my first rear end rebuild it took me much longer than it would take for a professional. I can see where paying that much, for quality work, would be worth if for some people.
Ditto. I just finished up building my rear with the aid of my father. Neither one of us had set up a rear before but we had someone there to give us tips, like what pinion shim to start out with, and a couple other useful things. The new gears were easier than i thought they'd be to set up.

I spent roughly 8-9 hundred on parts, and that included a used 31 spline carrier. If you have patience and access to the proper tools I'd say give it a shot, but for all new parts and guaranteed proper install I don't think the 1300+ is raping you too bad. 1100-1200 would seem more reasonable imo

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
We put everything in and had a friend come out and set the backlash and pinion depth for 700 bucks. Since I already have this done, seeing this makes me want to keep my car and not trade like I wanted to.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,541 Posts
^^ :eek:

Thats expensive for used parts, isnt it? If anything prices have gone down.
No it isn't. That was only $735 for parts including a complete bearing kit and clutch pack which a lot of people don't replace. All the parts were new except the Explorer differential. The shop gives a satisfaction gaurantee. I had originally purchased used gears. They whined. The shop not only gave me a complete refund for the used gears but then put in the new FRPP gears for free. I don't think I paid a high price at all. In fact, even though that shop is over an hour from my house, I've gone back to them several times.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm doing the 31 spline axle change now. I bought a used 31 spline diff for $175 (I think the are about $275 or so new), $229 Summit Racing 31 spline axles (includes bearings), $149 for 4.10 gears, $80 for 8.8 rebuilt kit, and $300 install. Approx. $930 total for everything. I could save the $300 and do the gears myself but after doing them the last time I'll pay this time (major PITA w/o the proper tools!). $930 is a lot of money but $1325 is outrageous in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Seems about right. You figure

31 Spline Cobra Differential - $220 (buyfordracing)
31 Spline Axles Moser for example - $275
4.10's - $150

Parts = $645

Ratek Complete bearing Kit - $100

Fluid - $60

Total in parts = $810 Say $850 to be safe.

So your looking at about $475 in labor. Ive gotten quoted $550, $300, and I got it done for $250. So Seems right to me.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shaun, this is the mustang shop in Fall River, do you know about him?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Lol noo. You see that guy always posting on CL? He sounds like a tool.

It was a guy named Kevin. He used to work at MPE Racing in Whitman MA (now in Taunton) And he builds all the rear ends for Factory Five Racing. If you want man, send me a PM and Ill give you his number. He has his own garage he does side jobs out of there. My rear end came out awesome. And it was destoryed in there because Dez Racing ****ing sucks.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup thats how I found him actually, pm being sent

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
That price seems high to me too... For that price I'll pull the rear, weld the tubes for you and replace everything. Smoking deal for the shop, not a good deal for you. One thing to remember here, ring & pinion swaps are not for the inexperienced. When you throw a new carrier into the mix it complicates it even more. This isn't a hard job but it does take the knowledge of how to set up a rear and YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If the shop that quoted you that price stands behind their setup you will have no gear noise and it will last forever. I'd do the install for $250 and still make money(labor only). Make a few phone calls and don't be afraid to ask if they are going to guarantee no gear whine. A lot of shops won't guarantee it and that's a sure sign that they aren't doing it the right way and you won't be a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts