Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im headed to pcs to japan for 3 years. Gonna be making some goooooood money thabkfully. So i am planning on buying mods a little over time. Big plans are forged internals and a nice turbo kit, yada yada yada.

But I was looking around and noticed a 5.0 stroker kit.

Hoe much of a difference does it make than just getting forged internals for the 4.6? Do you have to do work to the actual block in order to run them?

Im just curious on this.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
More power all I gotta say, more torque and HP capable because its a bigger motor essentially. But there are two ways to increase liters. You can stroke the motor, or bore it. I dont know how people do it on the 4.6 because I havent really looked at it because I plan on just going stock block with forged internals.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
If you just stay with the 5.0 then no machine work is needed on the setup. Pistons are the same as your 4.6 just the stroke changes. If you do go this route just make sure you keep the same comp as close to stock as possible or a little higher. These mod motors are a fan of the higher comp ratio. In the end the biggest thing you will achieve is the ability to boost the hell out of it once your said and done. Not to dramatic of a power gain from just the kit.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah im not spending that much... If I want an engine, then id go all out. I am planning on internals, suspension, cam, turbo, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
196 Posts
You'd be surprised how much machine costs can add up, as well as the time it takes.

A buddy of mine did the B302 internals, and it came out to more $$$ to have everything machined and assembled, than if he just got the B302 shortblock.

If you do the work yourself, different story. Then you can also sell your stock shortblock and make some money back.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I did the JDM 302 stroker shortblock, stock compression ratio, upgraded billet gear oil pump. Can handle 1000hp. You are better off with a completed shortblock unless you have access to a modern machine shop.

·
Turbo Maniac
437 Posts
I dropped the Coast 302 stroker kit in mine. My stock block was fine and I wanted to keep it. Prices have gone up on the various shortblocks lately, stroker rotating assembly a good way to go. Make sure you have a shop you trust. If you don't, complete shortblock might be a better way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts