Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. My girlfriends sister has a 97 mustang v6 automatic. It stopped running and I can buy it for $1000. here's the problem with the car.

It runs fine, however, there is water in the oil and will overheat and die after 10-20 minutes. (she's only done this twice to it)

I'm assuming head gasket but figured i'd ask you guys here before i wasted money on the car.

Also if it is a head gasket, are they a PITA?? I'm mechanically inclined a little bit and can handle most things.

Car is in excellent condition interior and paint wise and shifts good with 118,000 miles on it.

Was basically wondering if this was only a head gasket issue or if it's a cracked head etc??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
welcome to the forums.
if there is water in the oil and visa-versa you more than likely did in fact blow the head gasket. it's not too hard of a swap to do honestly but your probably better off replacing the motor entirely while your in there. there may be some other damage as well such as warped/cracked heads

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so with a blown head gasket it requires a whole new engine???

I was wondering if the over heating would hurt anything severely, but they say that it will run great but will over heat?

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
not always would it require a new motor.

It might need new heads since it was overheated a few times though.

I was just saying you should upgrade while you can since it's a tired motor and putting in a newer one would not only yield more HP but it would also cost around the same as it would to repair the current one.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
so with a blown head gasket it requires a whole new engine???

I was wondering if the over heating would hurt anything severely, but they say that it will run great but will over heat?
He said you can replace the head gasket. But he recommended that you just replace the whole engine since you will have to do about as much work anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was just looking to get it back to running good so i could sell it and make money on it. But if it's going to require a new motor, not worth my time.

I'm not being a jerk or anything, but any other car that's had a head gasket problem has been fixed with a gasket.

I'm not worried about a tired engine (good for more miles) or more horsepower as that's not what i'm going for. I appreciate the quick responses. Very good site here!!

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
it's not going to need a new motor if your just looking to sell it.

I was thinking while bearing performance in mind since this is "modded" mustangs .com is all :)

if you just want to replace the gasket that'll work as well as long as the heads aren't bad.
But it'll be a slow turd just like all the 96-98 6ers. 140 HP I believe

·
Registered
151 Posts
it's not going to need a new motor if your just looking to sell it.

I was thinking while bearing performance in mind since this is "modded" mustangs .com is all :)

if you just want to replace the gasket that'll work as well as long as the heads aren't bad.
But it'll be a slow turd just like all the 96-98 6ers. 140 HP I believe
Hey now! My car may be a slow turd....but its still a damn good looking turd!

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
you said its overheated, twice... i would stay away from it, probably has warped heads... unless you want to spend about a grand fixing it i would look into something else...

but if you do want it and want to fix it here is the best idea... Get in touch with CRT performance and see if he has any split port swaps... also tell him what you told us, that there is a car with a blown head gasket and you want to get new heads cause chances are the current ones are warped do to the over heating... and get the split port swap, this will increase power and you will be replacing the head gaskets at the same time... win win... and only about a grand spent

anyways best of luck if you have questions ask

thats the route i would go,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry, i know it's modded mustangs .com but ya'll know more about this stuff that a 18 year old kid with only a fart can and stickers on it thinkin it's fast.

So would I be stupid to but the car for $1000, put $235 in head gaskets on it and re sell it for about $2500??

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
if your just looking for resell then just fix the heads and sell if for 3k ... im assuming it has about 85k miles?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Any way to tell if the heads are warped before buying the car???
yea take the heads off and check them with a straight edge and a ... uh what is it like micrometer or something like that ... for variances in straightness

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It has 118K miles roughly.

As long as it's only the head gaskets and not a cracked head or something I should be able to make a little money on the car, I would think

1 - 20 of 30 Posts