Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm doing a simple "budget" build, don't want anything crazy since this is my DD just make it a bit more fun. But I have a few questions.

1. I'm looking to go with either GT40 heads or GT40p's, I know about the spark plug wire issue some have and that some headers don't fit. But I heard BBK LT's fit which was my first choice anyways. Is this information true?

2. What cam do you guys suggest? I thought about going with an alphabet cam for budget purposes, which one would be best for my setup? I'll also take suggestions for any other cam that would work best.

3. If the heads I get are already assembled, and I went with say the typical E303 cam. Would/Should I change the rods? Or would I just have to upgrade the springs? Or could I get away with not changing anything except for the cam?

4. I already have GT40 lower and upper intakes, if I end up with GT40p heads should I port match the lower intake?

Sorry for such noob questions, this is actually my first build at all and I know I'll forget some parts along the way but I'm trying to avoid that as best as possible.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can answer a few, at least with my own opinion.
1. Gt40p's flow better i believe, but less compression that regular gt40s. Big deal.
2. budget build, E cam. Forget what people tell you about letter cams, it will work just fine. They are cheap and can be found anywhere. My friend picked one up for 30 ****in dollars. Thats a budget cam.
3. You dont need to change anything on the gt40P's. Should you? Yes, but do you have too? No. Just being honest here, the E cam is what? .498 lift intake and exhaust? And max spring lift on gt40ps is like .512 some ****. But the springs may or not be old as hell, who knows how it will hold to high revs. Miss a gear you better pray it doesnt bind up. Whatever, it will work just not the best choice.
4. I honestly dont know about this one, but if you can port match it, why not? Extra flow. If it will fit normal, you can do that too. Personal preference here.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I can answer a few, at least with my own opinion.
1. Gt40p's flow better i believe, but less compression that regular gt40s. Big deal.
2. budget build, E cam. Forget what people tell you about letter cams, it will work just fine. They are cheap and can be found anywhere. My friend picked one up for 30 ****in dollars. Thats a budget cam.
3. You dont need to change anything on the gt40P's. Should you? Yes, but do you have too? No. Just being honest here, the E cam is what? .498 lift intake and exhaust? And max spring lift on gt40ps is like .512 some ****. But the springs may or not be old as hell, who knows how it will hold to high revs. Miss a gear you better pray it doesnt bind up. Whatever, it will work just not the best choice.
4. I honestly dont know about this one, but if you can port match it, why not? Extra flow. If it will fit normal, you can do that too. Personal preference here.
Actually the gt40ps will increase compression due to smaller combustion chambers. And the stock exploder cam is smaller than the mustang cam. (Upgrade the springs or you will have valve float)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
valve springs get the upgrade. go for a used n41 anderson wait till you find one on corral.

YOU will need push rods if you change rockers

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Well I'm doing a simple "budget" build, don't want anything crazy since this is my DD just make it a bit more fun. But I have a few questions.

1. I'm looking to go with either GT40 heads or GT40p's, I know about the spark plug wire issue some have and that some headers don't fit. But I heard BBK LT's fit which was my first choice anyways. Is this information true?
Long tubes will bolt on P heads, but changing plugs out can be difficult, and special wires with small 90* boots may be necessary. Reg 40's flow better and if they are milled .020 will bump the compression up for more power.

2. What cam do you guys suggest? I thought about going with an alphabet cam for budget purposes, which one would be best for my setup? I'll also take suggestions for any other cam that would work best. stage 1 trickflow, best bang for the buck. Letter cams work, but they are not optimum, a B cam is the best fit for gt40 heads out of the letter cams imho.

3. If the heads I get are already assembled, and I went with say the typical E303 cam. Would/Should I change the rods? Or would I just have to upgrade the springs? Or could I get away with not changing anything except for the cam?
yes, replace the springs, retainers, locks and seals. This is your dd, dont scimp and **** up your driver. They are called pushrods, get your terms straight. And yes, measure to make sure they are the right length.
4. I already have GT40 lower and upper intakes, if I end up with GT40p heads should I port match the lower intake?Doybt there will be much of a mismatch as the gt40 ports arent that big, but having a nice fliw from intake to head port always helps.

Sorry for such noob questions, this is actually my first build at all and I know I'll forget some parts along the way but I'm trying to avoid that as best as possible.
See the bold type.

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
I dont know much, but i agree with nxcoupe about the cam selection. I have the trick flow and its just enough for fun or daily driving. I believe i have the stage 2 though, guy i bought my car from still hasn't sent me the specs on it :mad:

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
The B has a very good amount of lift for gt40s and it's duration is decent. An e has less duration and more lift... I don't like any of the letter cams except for their sound. I have a B cam and wish I didn't have it. I should gone trick flow stage 1 honestly.

The trick flow and letter cam are the same price new so why go with 20+ year old junk?

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
257 Posts
Because sometimes you can find letter cams used and incredibly cheap. They are way more common than tfs1 used also. An E or B cam will be plenty street worthy, it will be just fine if thats what you decide to go with. If you are buying a cam brand new, then go right for the tfs1. I am just giving you "used cam" answers because to me, that is a real budget build.

I am giving you real answers, not what you should do. The valve springs can handle the E/B cams, but for who knows how long. It is not recommended to do so, but it is very possible. Plenty of people have done it, again not recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts