Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if removing the boot that goes into the fender well will help my car breathe better or cause me problems.

I took it off to clean it and noticed how small the opening is at the end and figured it cant really be doing much good and thought taking it off may give better results.

Has anyone done this?

Are there any problems that may come from doing this? Heat issues/ water?

·
Penetration before detonation
2,189 Posts
Not worth much, if at all. I don't even think it has any sort of effect on performance. Drop in a CAI and call it a day, the stock piece is restrictive and downright ugly.

I highly doubt it will do any damage (heat, water, etc.) just don't drive into a lake and you should be fine.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
air silencer is what you are talking about,it was took off my car as soon as i got it, get a drop in filter if u dont want to spend money on the cai,and a drop in will give u the same gains ans a cai unless ur goin to do fi later on,me i just kept the factory air tube,bought a maf adapter and got a cone spectre filter.works just like a cai but only costed 30 bucks

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my view, though my dad figured filter being open meant a chance of water getting into the engine.

I just figure it may help having a slight bit more air going in since i got a K&N filter which supposedly already increases air flow.

i didnt see a difference in gas mileage with the filter alone, so maybe the open filter will help? :dunno

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
air silencer is what you are talking about,it was took off my car as soon as i got it, get a drop in filter if u dont want to spend money on the cai,and a drop in will give u the same gains ans a cai unless ur goin to do fi later on,me i just kept the factory air tube,bought a maf adapter and got a cone spectre filter.works just like a cai but only costed 30 bucks
Well on that, I ave a K&N filter. paid 60 for it. if i take the silencer or whatever off, am I doing the same as you did with the spectre?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
your not going to gain much of anything...like op said...just put a k&n in it or buy a cheap cold air...i bought a nice 1 on egay for 35 bucks shipped and it was new...i have a pic here...the guy was selling them for 35 bucks shipped with everything including a filter....
heck he even reimbursed me 10 bucks because the filter was a little damaged in shipping, so i paid 25 shipped for what you see with filter and all hardware you see..i'm not sure if he still sells them on ebay, but it's worth the money...

that's an old pic, i'm blown now..:)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I took it off, and well, the engine sounds different around 35k rpms. Is this causing my engine to work for air or is it suppose to sound different?

the silencer/boot as i call it is gone and well it has a bigger opening to breathe from just dunno if it can harm anything. personally it sounds better.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet. i like the sound, I just didnt want anything to get effed up.

I may get the cold air kit turbot mentioned if its still up for sale.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your not going to gain much of anything...like op said...just put a k&n in it or buy a cheap cold air...i bought a nice 1 on egay for 35 bucks shipped and it was new...i have a pic here...the guy was selling them for 35 bucks shipped with everything including a filter....
heck he even reimbursed me 10 bucks because the filter was a little damaged in shipping, so i paid 25 shipped for what you see with filter and all hardware you see..i'm not sure if he still sells them on ebay, but it's worth the money...

what kind of gain in power do you think it made?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
it does the same job, your paying for the name and heavy gauge material....for what it is it did the job and was cheap...

·
Registered
997 Posts

cant beat 25 bucks...

·
Registered
433 Posts
usually youll get like 5-10 at the wheels with a cai. JLT is a great quality intake to get man. i wouldent get one like the one pictured simply because the material its made of tends to get hotter than a JLT which isnt metal so the jlt would keep underhood temps slightly down
Plus hot air is less dense, which defeats the whole purpose. Thats why its called "cold air intake" although most of the metal ones heat up so much they perform worse than stock.

I think the best bang for your buck is keeping the stock plastic (i.e. wont get hot) elbow and getting an adaptor and a cone filter. This will allow the most air in with the highest density.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Can't remember but somebody on MM posted facts and data saying how air travels so fast through the intake that air doesn't heat up much passed what it came in as. The material doesn't matter as much as where the air is drawn from.

·
Banned
491 Posts
Well I took it off, and well, the engine sounds different around 35k rpms. Is this causing my engine to work for air or is it suppose to sound different?

the silencer/boot as i call it is gone and well it has a bigger opening to breathe from just dunno if it can harm anything. personally it sounds better.
HOLY ROTORY POWER BATMAN!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts