Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing with the timing now trying to get this car up to its potential. Heres what I have done

I set the initial timing while the car was idling with the spout connector in place to 10 BTDC. Took a test drive and it had more power, but less than it did before the rebuild.

I just tried setting timing with the spout disconnected, and I set initial timing to 18 BTDC (someone said it is safe to go this high). I turned the engine off and then plugged the spout back in. When i started the car again the timing was sitting right around 30 BTDC! Is that normal? Is that what is supposed to happen. I let it idle and revved it a few times but I am afraid to drive it like that until someone tells me I should.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT I am running about 16-18 PSI right now on my IHI

·
Registered
660 Posts
to set the timing you have to pull the spout so it doesn't add the eec's share of timing in.

set it with spout disconnected at 10 BTDC. Then drive it. If it's running ok, and no detonation, then pull the spout and set it at 18 BTDC. Drive and check again.

Got detonation? Power loss?

If yes, then pull spout and set timing at 14 BTDC. Drive again.

Keep doing this until you clear yourself from any detonation, then pull the spout and back it off 2 degrees from that setting and leave it there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well so far the power has only gone up with no detonation to 18 BTDC. Am I to assume I should go up another two degrees? Then more? At what point am I wasting some of the power created during combustion?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
With a decent amount of boost you should not set the timing that high. Will most likely blow the head gasket very soon, unless the hardware and gasket are better than factory pieces.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a full set of sealed power gaskets for turbo engine in it. Honestly if a blown head gasket is all I have to worry about it, bring it on! That's about a five minute repair on this engine!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Haha No doubt! Most time consuming part is getting everything out of the way to pull the head! lol

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
What if that blown gasket allows coolant to get on top of a cyliner? Then it's more than a 5 minute job! Not worth the risk for an extra few hp, for me at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts