Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 77 bronco 351w c4 dana 20 t case dana 44 front and 9" rear axles. I no this is mustnag board but i always post here.It doesn't want to shift to 3rd untill it warms up. The guy we bought the bronco from said he rebuilt it and the the vacum needed adjusted. I replaced the old cracked line and i didnt help. I dont no that i trust that he rebuilt it. I checked the fluid no sing of mosture but it smells burnt. He said it was from the new clutches brakeing in. I was thinking of just rebuilding it my self never done a c4 or a auto before though i have done 3 manual everyone says autos are easyer?I gess i will do the transfercase as well it has poped out a couple times when you get in a bind.

·
RIP Justincredible! God Speed
523 Posts
Hey! My first ride was a 74 Bronco. Very cool trucks. I miss mine.

Sounds like the 2-3 shift band is not adjusted properly/out of adjustment.

Also...the previous owner is flat out lying about the burnt smell and the new clutches breaking in. Either it was not rebuilt, or somebody screwed up when they did rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Clutches don't make the fluid smell burnt because they are breaking in. Try adjusting the modulator if its adjustable. There may or may not be an allen head or flat screwdriver adjustment bolt in the hole that the vacuum hose connects to. Or it could be a bad trans....

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks will try tonight and let you no i didnt figure he did but any old bronco you can drive home that has little rust is a stell at $2500 he wanted $3200 in the paper. So i cant bitch we are going to get it trust worthy for now and gather parts for it to do a frame off next winter hopfully We want to do efi on it i have a harness a speed density comp a uper 302 intakeand throtle body what else will i need besides o2,map,351 lower intake do i need to make this work would like to find a a9l to i dont no speed density will work right has a 4x4 cam in it the guy said what ever that is lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts