Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, new to this, never once applied wax or done anything besides washing my car (which i've apparently done wrong, used dish soap :facepalm: I'm ashamed). This thread is to get some questions answered about the art of proper detailing.

1. What are all of the things one should buy in order to get a proper, clean, and sexy shiny surface out of the car? Like the towels, mitts, waxes, car wash brands, all of that sort of stuff? I saw the big thread about beginners, but it's all kinda jibberish to me for the most part. I'm not looking for 'show quality' just looking to start treating the paint job better on my car and having the washes I do last a little longer.

2. Any recommended brands you think have the best effects with rain protection? (florida has a lot of rain obviously)

3. i see these threads about clay-bar, IPA wipedown, all these steps for the car to be waxxed and polished and sealed (idk what I'm talking about with that stuff..) but How often does someone need to do that sort of deep cleaning? I know the wax can last a good month or so at least, but how often should you re-do the whole process? besides washing the car once a week just washing it.

Sorry for the long post, i'm just starting to be interested in this whole detailing scene and looking to gather as much info as possible before i waste time and money doing something incorrectly.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
IPA is Isopropyl alcohol mixed 50-50 with distilled water.

After your car is washed, a clay bar removes contamination of the clear coat by pulling out surface bonded contaminants. You would be very surprised how dirty your car is after cleaning it.

Use Microfiber cloths only, they really do make a diffrence. Look for the Always Clean crew members they will point you in the right direction.

Detailing can get very expensive get some stuff locally like meguires or mothers. Try it out and make sure detailing is for you, before you pay 120$ for a wax.

Reactions: Walkin Kamikaze

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would i say i've got good condition paint? considering it's from 03, but it's only got 47k miles and it was garage kept before i got it, the paint looks really good for its age. Or would i be best off getting the compound and doing that all to the car at least once anyways? Also what kinda applicators/towels would be best for washing/drying/applying wax/polishing and such? love to learn anything I can.

Oh and is the IPA wipedown a good idea before the wax on each section then? Every time I want to re-wax? I know IPA is good at dirt and oil removal.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reps for any and all helpful, informative answers. I literally don't know anything about this stuff, been searching youtube for how-to's and still have the questions like "in what order do i apply things" which was answered.

After the first wax, what are the steps you take to re-do the wax and stuff? literally re-do the car every month or what?

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Sealants can hold up literally for months, and usually a wax only stays for weeks. Its good to layer a sealant first, and then a wax.

Generally to use a compound or polish, you would need a tool called a DA ( Dual Action polisher) a good example is a portercable 7424 xp. Again make sure this is for you before you begin spending your money.

At your stage, buy a

Claybar at walmart 18.00
A spray bottle with IPA >5.00
Meguires Gold class wax, or what ever wax you feel like you like.

Clean, Clay, and wax whole car, If at this point you decide you love doing this instead of loathing, you can begin to spend your money on more quality products. I can not stress enough how expensive this can get, Some people really enjoy it, but there is a reason that people pay for the service

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
you detail your car as it needs it, is stuff stuck in the clear? Clay it. Does it have tiny scratches? Compound it. Is the surface dull or milky? Polish it. Do you need to protect the surface again? Wax and glaze it. You do this as needed. When it needs it.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Use Foam/ Microfiber applicators. Microfiber drying towel, and a few microfiber clothes.

Microfiber is just awesome and fits perfectly in the detailing world.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
you detail your car as it needs it, is stuff stuck in the clear? Clay it. Does it have tiny scratches? Compound it. Is the surface dull or milky? Polish it. Do you need to protect the surface again? Wax and glaze it. You do this as needed. When it needs it.
or until your order of cool new products shows up....
Must beat Modded Mach to the review...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sealants can hold up literally for months, and usually a wax only stays for weeks. Its good to layer a sealant first, and then a wax.

Generally to use a compound or polish, you would need a tool called a DA ( Dual Action polisher) a good example is a portercable 7424 xp. Again make sure this is for you before you begin spending your money.

At your stage, buy a

Claybar at walmart 18.00
A spray bottle with IPA >5.00
Meguires Gold class wax, or what ever wax you feel like you like.

Clean, Clay, and wax whole car, If at this point you decide you love doing this instead of loathing, you can begin to spend your money on more quality products. I can not stress enough how expensive this can get, Some people really enjoy it, but there is a reason that people pay for the service
Hm, alright that was a good bit of advice, i know it can get expensive, but this is a good tip, gotta start small and see if it's worth it and i like it, then if i do, get into the better and more complicated procedures.

So you suggest not doing a sealant or anything at first besides use the clay bar (with a Quick detailer for lube like in the youtube vids?), then just wax the car and see how i like doing that for a little bit?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more good advice, but i guess i've never taken a close enough look at the paint to tell you if it "needs" it, but a wax would never be a bad idea considering it'll help get water off and keep it cleaner for a little longer. i generally wash it once a week and it's dirty after a few days.. :facepalm:

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
IMHO sealants can sometimes tough to apply, I do recommend for a daily driver or someone that doesn't have a garage. Learn one technique at a time and master it. Clay bar and QD is a great way to start, and it eventually leads to products like Clay bar lube that are specifically designed to amp up the clay procedure.

I do suggest a sealant, its tough and requires cure times but it works. However I would also say master the application of just regular wax and claybar first. There is plenty of time, I would hate to see you apply a sealant that lasted 6 months incorrectly and get a bad taste in your mouth for detailing.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMHO sealants can sometimes tough to apply, I do recommend for a daily driver or someone that doesn't have a garage. Learn one technique at a time and master it. Clay bar and QD is a great way to start, and it eventually leads to products like Clay bar lube that are specifically designed to amp up the clay procedure.

I do suggest a sealant, its tough and requires cure times but it works. However I would also say master the application of just regular wax and claybar first. There is plenty of time, I would hate to see you apply a sealant that lasted 6 months incorrectly and get a bad taste in your mouth for detailing.
yeah, i mean i'll definitely get a sealant on it once i get the whole wax and clay bar procedure down, i've watched a few videos and they seem mostly straight-forward for the clay and wax part. i'm going to give it a try sometime soon then! The sealant can wait a little while while i master this stuff. Slowly i think i'll get into it more. it seems like instant gratification and that is always a good type of thing to get into, you feel good about it as soon as you're done.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
We can recommend quality products to you all day, but in the end its what about what you think. I love Zymol products, its great and it works for me. People swear to other products. Which is best? There is no answer, just because I like they way Zymol makes my car look, doesn't mean you will.

Its like asking people what the best car is, you will get a different answer every time. However it is common opinion that Armoral or turtle wax leave much to be desired. Again, that is up to you to decide.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
yeah, i mean i'll definitely get a sealant on it once i get the whole wax and clay bar procedure down, i've watched a few videos and they seem mostly straight-forward for the clay and wax part. i'm going to give it a try sometime soon then! The sealant can wait a little while while i master this stuff. Slowly i think i'll get into it more. it seems like instant gratification and that is always a good type of thing to get into, you feel good about it as soon as you're done.
Oh man, you don't even know. I hate cleaning my car, I'm just addicted to how it looks after I'm done.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We can recommend quality products to you all day, but in the end its what about what you think. I love Zymol products, its great and it works for me. People swear to other products. Which is best? There is no answer, just because I like they way Zymol makes my car look, doesn't mean you will.

Its like asking people what the best car is, you will get a different answer every time. However it is common opinion that Armoral or turtle wax leave much to be desired. Again, that is up to you to decide.
well, what i'm asking is a product that will sheet and bead well as well as give a somewhat good finish, i'm working more for the reaction with water than the super show look. I have no clue where to start searching for a decently priced wax, that's more the reason i ask. I mean i see these write ups on $50 pots and i'm trying to find a decent one for less than that obviously.

If you have your bang for your buck brand/type of wax, hook me up with a link or name and i'd gladly give it consideration. Already learned a decent amount in one night!

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Meguires Gold Class is a good entry level wax IMHO that can be bought locally. Others will chime in

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll check it out, as well as some micro-fiber packs lol. to apply should i get an applicator pad of some sort or just use another micro-fiber for that too?

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
+1 i would pick up meguiars smooth surface clay kit from walmart it is a good entry level clay and i have had great results from it
+1

1 - 20 of 54 Posts