Modded Mustang Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Just re-watched and yeah that XXX looks amazing as far as water sheeting/beading goes for a cheap wax! Think i'll pick that up when i pick my supplies up. Is getting some applicator pads worth it? like all the videos have the pads to apply the wax.

Just re-watched and yeah that XXX looks amazing as far as water sheeting/beading goes for a cheap wax! Think i'll pick that up when i pick my supplies up. Is getting some applicator pads worth it? like all the videos have the pads to apply the wax.
Yeah. Foam applicator pads can be had for cheap and that's what you will want to use for applying wax and sealant.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Well, good stuff guys! thanks for all the help tonight! learned a lot and y'all pointed me in the right direction! I will post again if I have some results/questions, i'll also probably post asking how bad my paint is to the trained eye, because I could never tell you lol.

Well, good stuff guys! thanks for all the help tonight! learned a lot and y'all pointed me in the right direction! I will post again if I have some results/questions, i'll also probably post asking how bad my paint is to the trained eye, because I could never tell you lol.
Just put some sort of light directly above the paint and take a picture of it. If you see cobwebbing/swirls then it could probably use a compound.

This is what bad-ish looks like:

Here's a side 50/50 of when I was doing the correction on my Mach. On the right (half closest to the camera) you can see the swirls/scratches and on the upper half where the light is you don't see it anymore.

Make sure you use a really bright light source like the sun or leds. The light reveals all in your paint. You'll be amazed how much a simple proper wash/clay/wax will make a difference.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Btw on the matte vinyls on my car, best to stay away from them with wax, but it wouldn't kill anything if i got a tiny bit on it or trim, like it would remove fine right? if i were to use the XXX?

use painters tape bruh

use painters tape bruh
F that noise lol. I wouldn't painters tape my entire car off everytime I was going to wax. An extra 30 minutes at least just to put on tape.

Btw on the matte vinyls on my car, best to stay away from them with wax, but it wouldn't kill anything if i got a tiny bit on it or trim, like it would remove fine right? if i were to use the XXX?
Don't use wax on trim/vinyl/matte or any of that stuff. If some happens to get on there just wipe it off then, don't let it haze up or it will be much tougher to get off. It's easy to be more precise with applicator pads while waxing so it shouldn't be too tough of a task to not hit that stuff.

UGH more work!? lol jk. Good call though. If you want it done right (to your specs), do it yourself. That IS the saying correct?

Except sometimes it can lead to :baller::baller::baller::baller::baller:
Just tape off the matte stripes. Getting wax off of trim isn't too hard and will probably be quicker compared to taping off everything you don't want wax on.

Also...this is an incredibly ADDICTING hobby :bubba:. I also call it a productive hobby as to justify the $$ going into it :lol

lol I don't tape anything off,I don't have to worry about it with the stuff I use.

Alright, new to this, never once applied wax or done anything besides washing my car (which i've apparently done wrong, used dish soap :facepalm: I'm ashamed). This thread is to get some questions answered about the art of proper detailing.

1. What are all of the things one should buy in order to get a proper, clean, and sexy shiny surface out of the car? Like the towels, mitts, waxes, car wash brands, all of that sort of stuff? I saw the big thread about beginners, but it's all kinda jibberish to me for the most part. I'm not looking for 'show quality' just looking to start treating the paint job better on my car and having the washes I do last a little longer.

Youll need the proper products and equipment to do the following:
Washing
-I suggest the 2 bucket method with grit guards as a MUST standard for hand washing, this will reduce wash induced swirls and marring. Youll need 2 5gal buckets, 2 gritgaurds, a quality soap (i use chemical guys), a quality microfiber/wool mitt.
Drying
-The cheapest way to go here is using a big Microfiber made for drying, like a waffle weave. BUT after you wash your car you want to rinse with an open-ended hose, this will sheet most of the water off, then follow with a Quick Detail spray and towel. The QD spray will help protect your paint as you dry
Claying:
You will need to claybar your paint. Simply search this term and youll understand why.

2. Any recommended brands you think have the best effects with rain protection? (florida has a lot of rain obviously)

Florida, i would use a paint sealant topped with a good wax. Youll here alot about BFWD paint sealant, its great BUT...
For cheaper, and just as good protection, I would get Four star ultimate paint protection its similar to BFWD and top it with Chemical Guys XXX paste wax. Both of those are rather cheap and will give you months of protection

3. i see these threads about clay-bar, IPA wipedown, all these steps for the car to be waxxed and polished and sealed (idk what I'm talking about with that stuff..) but How often does someone need to do that sort of deep cleaning? I know the wax can last a good month or so at least, but how often should you re-do the whole process? besides washing the car once a week just washing it.

It all depends on how well you maintain your ride man. IPA is for cleaning the paint of oils so your wax or sealant can bond well. It can be mixed at any desired ratio

Sorry for the long post, i'm just starting to be interested in this whole detailing scene and looking to gather as much info as possible before i waste time and money doing something incorrectly.
Im thinking about doing a newcomers video soon that would benefit those like yourself.

Im really glad you are here man, we are going to turn you into a detailing machine! lol

I gotta go to work, but ill be back on tonight, i may do a large writeup for newcomers as we have had alot recently.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.