Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 GT and i am wanting to get headers for it. Do i have to pull the motor? or atleast take off the motor mounts for one side, jack it up, then do the same thing on the other side? (dont want to pull the motor)

i was also wondering if the heat from the headers would fry the starter?

finally i am on a pretty small budget and is it worth the extra $500 to get long headers? does it make that much of a power/sound difference? any specific brands that are good? bbk shorties??

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
first of all welcome to MM zmaier!

to install your headers the best way is to get the car up on jack stands and lower the k member. and your starter should be fine but with some headers you may have to move an ac line up a bit, i have bbk shortys and this is what i had to do for clearance. LT headers will give you more than shortys but keep in mind with LT headers you must also change your mid pipe. mac and bbk are both great brands with reasonable prices.

im curious, is your exhaust all stock or do you have a cat back???

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Up here in Larimer county, we got rid of our emissions, so hopefully i can continue to keep it registered up here even tho im in college in pueblo. O.R midpipes FTW

From what ive gathered, is that Long Tubes Won't pass emissions only because of the OR midpipe that you have to get with it for them to fit.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Up here in Larimer county, we got rid of our emissions, so hopefully i can continue to keep it registered up here even tho im in college in pueblo. O.R midpipes FTW

From what ive gathered, is that Long Tubes Won't pass emissions only because of the OR midpipe that you have to get with it for them to fit.
Not true, Longtubes wont pass because of the extra flow. It allows the engine to breath a lot more, thus=more emissions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts