Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so got a few questions before I do my next oil change...and sorry if this isn't really meant for the v6 section, I use this section a lot so I just posted it here

my 01 v6 has 80k miles on it, and I have been using plain old Pennzoil 5w-20

Would it be ok for me to switch to full synthetic with that high of a mileage?

And is there any special way to do that, or is it just changing the oil like normal and just using the new oil? I've heard some people say you run the new oil for a few hundred miles and change it again...

Also, I am thinking of switching to mobil 1 full synthetic, switching from pennzoil to mobil won't need anything more than a normal change will it?

I've tried to use the search, and anytime I find an answer, it's for a low milage car, I just want to make sure all of this is ok for an 80k mile car

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
changing oil is changing oil lol its exactly the same as if u were using regular oil. For how long to switch it for i cant tell u, i have 98k on my mustang, i just use castrol gtx 5W30 because im just stock and i really dont see the need to switch to synthetic because of that fact. as im sure u know its a lot more expensive too lol

mileage wise u should be fine its not like synthetic is made only for low mileage cars the synthetic has better heat properties and better physical properties so its made to be easier on the parts in the engine. I would say go for it...the only thing is iv never heard anyone using 5W20 before, r u in the south? for the 01 i believe the recommended is 5W30, thats wat it is for the 00 u should check ur owners manual

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
you have nothing to worry about when switching over to synthetic as long as you continue to use the same weight. Synthetic is a great way to improve performance/engine life. Christorrres will prolly jump in a say reg oil is just as good as long as it is changed routinely (which is also true).

Royal Purple FTW

·
Registered
186 Posts
if your going synthetic, go royal purple....its worth the extra money, there is a video on royal purple somewhere, but everytime i want to find it i cant....but they hand test all the oil and a whole long process for there oil. and it helps rebuild seals. which can be very good for those high milage cars....i sware by royal purple. love the stuff. and i use royal purple tranny fluid too. And as it was previously stated...changing to synthic is the same as a normal oil change. nothing differently done.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
^^ except you dont have to change the oil every 3k. You can go a lot longer with synthetic than regular oil as long as you change the filter. EX. change your oil every 7k, but change the filter at 3.5k

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet, that's what I figured... I didn't see any reason I couldn't just switch by a simple oil change, idk where I heard all of those rumors about a certain process, but it sounded like a bunch of bs to me, but I wasn't about to take a chance with my car...

and I've been running 5w-20 because my manual and the cap both say 5w-20... seemed odd to me too...should I be using 5w-30? I live in ohio btw

·
Registered
10 Posts
Switching to Synethic is fine if you are willing to pay the extra. Regular and Synethic additives wear out the same but the molecular structure last longer for better lubrication. If your planning on switching I do suggest you change your oil within the first 200-500 miles to get rid of the old convential oil. The structure between the two are far different and can cause engine buildup.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
When you switch you might experience minor dripping, after the first change. Make sure you check it. Syn can usually go easy 6k. Get a high quality filter and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
finally someone else from ohio lol i think iv met one other guy from ohio on these forums (and right after i post this ill find like ten other guys lol) where in ohio r u?

Idk the 5W20 still sounds kinda wierd to me i would ask one of the engine builders around this site who would know more about it, torres would probably know

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, going with motocraft filter, I've used fram before, but found out about how crappy they are made.

I think I'll try the royal purple if it's not too much more expensive than some of the others...

What weight should I be using? the manual recommends 5w-20, but that still seems odd to me...

(and completely off topic, but NewNoise, the way you wrote the N's in your name is awesome, haha)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
finally someone else from ohio lol i think iv met one other guy from ohio on these forums (and right after i post this ill find like ten other guys lol) where in ohio r u?

Idk the 5W20 still sounds kinda wierd to me i would ask one of the engine builders around this site who would know more about it, torres would probably know
I'm in Toledo, (also lived in cincy for about 6 months)

AND TIRED OF THIS DAMN SNOW!!:mad:
at least its warming up now...
:lol

there's a few ohioans here... idk how often they get on though

and yeah, I have always thought 5w-20 sounded weird... but I did run it all through winter, and it still running...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts