Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been considering making some changes to my exhaust setup and since this is my first mustang I would like to get some advice from those of you have more experience than me.

I have an 07 GT and currently have stock manifolds, stock catted H, stock midpipe, and pypes muffler delete axlebacks. It may also be relevant to add that I have the Bama tunes for life deal from AM so I would re-tune after any changes.

What I want...

1) I want a gain in performance, but it doesn't have to be the maximum gain. In other words, I don't want to waste my money for zero gain or a loss but I won't be racing my car so a moderate gain without breaking the bank would be ideal.

2) I want an improvement in sound. I like loud, deep, throaty. That being said, I care about tone quality and don't want to sound like a farm truck.

What I DON'T want...

1) I don't want to lose my cats. I just want to re-tune to stock with my handheld before going to inspection. I also have no mufflers and I have heard that no cats AND no mufflers is a bad combination.

2) I can't afford long tubes.

These are some of the setups i'm considering but I have some questions about each that I hope people can answer for me.

Setup 1 - Short tubes, stock H, pypes muffler delete axleback.
- I noticed a definite loss in low end torque when I put the muffler deletes on, will adding the short tubes along with the deletes, give me a net loss or gain from my current setup?
- Can anyone describe what the change in sound would be from my current setup? I assume it would be louder but how much? How would the tone change? I know it depends largely on what headers I used, so any input specific to that would help too.

Setup 2 - Short tubes, stock H, chambered axleback.
- This would cost me a little more since I'd have to purchase a new axleback along with the headers. Therefore I would only go this route if it was the only way to regain the lost HP from losing the mufflers.
- How would this sound compared to my current setup with the stock manifolds and the deletes? Louder? Difference in tone?

Setup 3 - Short tubes, stock H, resonators welded into midpipe, pypes muffler delete.
- Would the resonators welded into the midpipe give me the hp back I lost when I got rid of my mufflers?
- Does anyone know if there would be any difference between my midpipe with resonators/muffler delete combo and the pypes mid muffler system?
- How would this compare performance and sound wise to the other 2 setups and my current setup.

I know there are a lot of questions here so thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me figure this all out.

HMT

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
LOL, wait til 101 gets a hold of this one!
I was thinking the same...

Hey, don't bother with the shorties... after you put the shorties on(8hours later) you will be wishing you just bought long tubes... trust me... been there...

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
DO NOT BUY SHORTIES..............

also when you say break the bank that's pretty different from person to person.

if you can't afford LT's now just go with some new mufflers. i personally love my slp loudmouths, x+x+x and it will sound great because that's what i think sounds good. someone else might think the same combo sounds like crap.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is what i have and love it
Do you have cats on your x pipe? I have heard over and over again that no cats and no mufflers isn't a good idea sound wise. Not sure if that's true as I've never heard it in person, just what I've heard. If you've got a catted x-pipe, did you put it on after you already had the SLP LMs on? If so, how did it effect the tone volume adding the catted X? I'm leaning towards keeping the catted H cause I like a deeper tone but would consider a catted X, just need to do more research of what exactly it would sound like without mufflers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, the question I'm very curious to hear the answer to is whether resonators welded into the mid-pipe would recoup any the low end torque lost when I lost the mufflers.

And I'm assuming that the people saying not to bother doing shorties are saying that because they think there is not enough noticeable change in performance or sound?

Since I like the way the muffler deletes sound, maybe I'll just stick with them if the shorties aren't worth it. If there was a small increase in performance and a small increase in sound quality I'd sign up for doing them since they are relatively inexpensive. Long tubes are just too loud for me since I live in an apartment complex besides being more expensive.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, wait til 101 gets a hold of this one!
Did 101 install shorties and hate them or something? If I'm asking any dumb questions just educate me. I'm here to learn, that's why I'm asking so many questions to begin with.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Did 101 install shorties and hate them or something? If I'm asking any dumb questions just educate me. I'm here to learn, that's why I'm asking so many questions to begin with.
He really really likes exhaust threads.

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
So I've been considering making some changes to my exhaust setup and since this is my first mustang I would like to get some advice from those of you have more experience than me.

I have an 07 GT and currently have stock manifolds, stock catted H, stock midpipe, and pypes muffler delete axlebacks. It may also be relevant to add that I have the Bama tunes for life deal from AM so I would re-tune after any changes.

What I want...

1) I want a gain in performance, but it doesn't have to be the maximum gain. In other words, I don't want to waste my money for zero gain or a loss but I won't be racing my car so a moderate gain without breaking the bank would be ideal.

2) I want an improvement in sound. I like loud, deep, throaty. That being said, I care about tone quality and don't want to sound like a farm truck.

What I DON'T want...

1) I don't want to lose my cats. I just want to re-tune to stock with my handheld before going to inspection. I also have no mufflers and I have heard that no cats AND no mufflers is a bad combination.

2) I can't afford long tubes.
If you're looking for deep and throaty, the Mac prochamber is the way to go, and it's only a little less performance wise than an X, plus you'll get the deep and throaty sound you want. However, you did mention you don't want to get rid of your cats, I'm not sure how the prochamber fits with that desire. There are a couple options with the prochamber, but I think it has more to do with what long tubes you're using, not regarding cats or no cats.

I know you said you can't afford long tubes, but Macs are $400-$450, compared to $700+ for other long tubes, and Macs have great gains. Plus, if you get the prochamber, that will match nicely with the LTs. Don't get shorties as mentioned already!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you're looking for deep and throaty, the Mac prochamber is the way to go, and it's only a little less performance wise than an X, plus you'll get the deep and throaty sound you want. However, you did mention you don't want to get rid of your cats, I'm not sure how the prochamber fits with that desire. There are a couple options with the prochamber, but I think it has more to do with what long tubes you're using, not regarding cats or no cats.

I know you said you can't afford long tubes, but Macs are $400-$450, compared to $700+ for other long tubes, and Macs have great gains. Plus, if you get the prochamber, that will match nicely with the LTs. Don't get shorties as mentioned already!
This is really helpful thanks. I didn't realize the Mac LT's were so affordable. I found new Mac LT's online for $389. I'm looking into what the prochamber for the LT's with welding my factory cats in vs. catted H or X for LT's would cost.

·
Resident Utahrd
1,411 Posts
No problem. :) If you decide against the prochamber, I'd go more towards the H if you want deep and throaty.

·
Registered
961 Posts
sounds like you want your car louder, and don't want to spend a lot of money. if you already have pypes muffler deletes, throw a catted x pipe on there, foget the shorties(only reason i have them is because they were on my car when i bought it) and i think you'll be happy with that. It'll be signifcantly louder than it is now, it'll be pretty loud/mean/deep, and you'll still pass inspection. if you want it to sound deeper, sell/trade your muffler deletes and get the agressive flowmaster or mac axleback. that should do the trick for you.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
Do you have cats on your x pipe? I have heard over and over again that no cats and no mufflers isn't a good idea sound wise. Not sure if that's true as I've never heard it in person, just what I've heard. If you've got a catted x-pipe, did you put it on after you already had the SLP LMs on? If so, how did it effect the tone volume adding the catted X? I'm leaning towards keeping the catted H cause I like a deeper tone but would consider a catted X, just need to do more research of what exactly it would sound like without mufflers.
i put the loudmouths on with the stock exhaust. it had alot of drone at cruising rpm's and was a bit irritating. due to this i traded out the stock H pipe and used a cut in frpp X pipe which retains the stock cats. no more drone, louder out back, quieter inside with windows up or down, and has just a hint of rasp which i like.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have SLP Loudmouth's and Catted X Pipe and it sounds great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
look at the pypes mid muffler system. no welding, no cutting. puts glasspacks in front of axle. found mine new in box for 250 on ebay. sounds great. it can wake the neighbors but dosent have to. stock manifold, cats, and h pipe. sounds mean when it pulls away from inside or out. although i don't like seeing it drive away i cant help but smile when i hear it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A member on another forums is nice enough to be giving me his used BBK shorties and is also sending me his old or/x for just the cost of shipping.

I'm gonna put the shorties on first (I know people on here said not to bother but they're FREE).

I'm thinking of either welding high flow cats to the or/x and keeping the muffler deletes or intstalling the x catless along with a chambered axleback to replace the deletes.

I watched clips of catted x pipes with muffler deletes and I really liked it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts