Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my names Chris. Just put a thread in new members section so check it out. I asked the same questions I'm going to ask here. Just wanted to throw em in both sections.

I just bought a mustang and I want to make more power in it. I'm going to start building next year. But I want you to keep in mind I have a budget here. But anything can be worked into it eventually. Heres the questions.

1. I want to make more power. Next summer I will be doing it. I think its best to wait till after winter. What do you recommend along the lines of nice power on a budget? These are my ideas so far.

A. Dual exhaust. Flowmaster. Should sound great.

B. Performance headers.

C. Performance chip.

D. K&N cold air intake.

E. Performance plugs and wires.
What kind of power do you think this will make? Any estimations on cost? Anything else you think would be a good Idea?

2. I hear from everyone that the V6 does the "one tire fire" burnout. As in it only breaks one tire loose. Is it odd that my v6 breaks both tires loose, sends up clouds of white smoke and will spin em as long as I dont let off the gas, even after I let off the break?

3. I would eventually like to make about 220 horsepower. What would it take?

I read on musclecar.com that with a good tune and everything I have listed here its can add up to 40-50 horsepower if done right. I would like to be able to make at least 180 hp and 260 ft lbs of torque with a pretty easy spending budget. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
First welcome to MM :welcome

Start out with getting a tlok, gears (3.73 manual, 4.10 auto), and a tuner.
Then look into getting the flowmaster 40, with MAC longtubes, and a midpipe if you would like. As for the K&N, you are better off going and buying the AmericanMuslce CAI or the eBay one. We recieve like 1rwph or so from the air intakes, if your lucky. So dont buy any expensive ones, like I went and did :(

If you are looking into making 220 rwhp. Go with ported and polished upper/lower intake manifolds and cylinder heads. And possibily a nice little cam.

Now there is alot more stuff than I am saying. But first figure out a budget and what you want to do first and go from there. Good luck on everything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know my budget but I'm not to worried about that. This is about what I can do over time. And anything is possible. What will the 4.10 do to my mileage. I'm not real worried about it just curious.
I might be getting a K&N free. My uncle has a 92 stang that he went out to start one morning. Forgot the ebrake and it rolled over the hill. He said it look like the intake will fit.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
For gas milage it might it hurt on the highway, Ive heard everywhere from 1-3mpg lost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats not too bad. The power is worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just read something online that Im pretty sure is wrong but i wanna check anyway. will 4.10 gears reduce top speed drastically? this guy said about 80 is where it would top.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
80 would not be your top. Your top speed will be reduced but I doubt you'll be hitting anything over 120 on a street car so it's not something to worry about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just bouncing off the limiter on the highway yesterday. And it will be going to the track next year too.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Ok. Don't get a performance chip, get a handheld tuner. Many more options. More useful. Headers will not be worth the money. 1 or 2 HP is not worth the 2-3-4 hundred dollars that the headers will cost. You will not get 40-50 hp with exhaust, cai, and tune. Maybe 20. The box lies. A cai doesn't get you 15 to 20 hp, although they swear it does.

If both your back tires do spin and you burn as much as you say, you probably have 4.10 gears and tlok. And you will not top out at 80 with 4.10 gears. Whoever told you that doesn't know much about cars, and you probably should not have him do any work for you. Your car will more likely stop accelerating due to not enough power than having 4.10 gears. You need approximatly 240 HP to go 150mph.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was just something I found online. 240 hp is something that may be possible in the future. Is there anyway I can tell if its 4.10 and tlock. Far as I know its stock.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
To determine the gears if the rear end is open (not LSD, which would be stock), jack up the back right wheel. Mark the drive shaft and the wheel. Spin the wheel TWO turns and count the revolutions of the drive shaft. About 3 1/2 = 3.55 3 3/4 = 3.73 4 1/8= 4.10
you have to do 2 revolutions because of how the spider gears change the ratio.

If you have tlok though, then jack up both wheels. Make a few test turns back and forth to make sure both wheels are turning together and not spinning independently.Then make the marks and spin the wheel ONE turn and count the revolutions of the drive shaft.

To tell if you have a limited slip diferential or not, although I think I saw you already did this, just find a cleas piece of pavement, and do a short 5 second burnout (anything works as long as you can tell it's yours and you leave rubber on the pavement) and then see if there are two marks.

Easy as zip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll definetly do that. And I dont know if this makes a difference or if it just has to do with power, but it only spins both of them when I rev it up to about 4k rpm. Anything lower and it spins the back right.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Then you don't have tlok. The tlok will make both tires spin more evenly giving you better traction and whatnot.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
id look into an m90 setup or do a splitport swap. Sorry but bolt-ons and even cam or heads or intakes aren't going to get you to 220rwhp. and if they do youll have spent a ton of money to get where a cam only splitport can get.
I really agree with the split port swap. The single port engines put out 145-150 horsepower and the split port puts out 190 horsepower. Toxic mentioned he wanted to get up to at least 180 horsepower and I'm thinking even higher horsepower would be much easier with a split port.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
4.3 stroker and go from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The split port sounds good but looks a little difficult. I hope its easier then it looks. I havent decided yet if I am going to continue to build past the 180-220 Hp mark I have set or if I am going to upgrade to the GT. I do think it would be awesome to have a bad ass V6 that can out pull a GT. If I do keep it and continue the build it sounds like with the split port 300 bhp would be possible. What does a split port cost and how difficult it is? And I am thinking of going with the 3.73 gears for a good middle ground. And I should eventually be making enough power for them to pull well enough.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The split port sounds good but looks a little difficult. I hope its easier then it looks. I havent decided yet if I am going to continue to build past the 180-220 Hp mark I have set or if I am going to upgrade to the GT. I do think it would be awesome to have a bad ass V6 that can out pull a GT. If I do keep it and continue the build it sounds like with the split port 300 bhp would be possible. What does a split port cost and how difficult it is? And I am thinking of going with the 3.73 gears for a good middle ground. And I should eventually be making enough power for them to pull well enough.
Even after getting all these mods done you will most likely only out pull a stock GT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand that. With the weight difference which is only slight between the GT and the six, 220 Hp on mine should out pull a stock GT of the same year. It works out to something like power/weight ratio of 15 lbs per hp on The GT and 14 lbs per hp on the Six. With the gears and tlock installed it should run pretty close. Working up to 240-270 bhp on the six could pull lightly modded GT. And then if i decided to do forced induction from say, vortech, I could pull most anything that is stock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts