Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 GT and was wondering if my cams are the press on gear or bolt on? I would like to know because I plan on tearing into it to replace cams and would like to have everything there when I do. Thanks

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
i believe that they are press on but you can replace them with bolt on ones as well.

the windsor engines are press on.

·
Registered
806 Posts
ya you have pressed on gears. you can pick up a bolt on set to put on after cam swap for like $70-80

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
If your motor is stock they are press on. Just buy some new or used stock cam sprockets, and new cam bolts. For a 1996-96 or 2001-2004 gt.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If your motor is stock they are press on. Just buy some new or used stock cam sprockets, and new cam bolts. For a 1996-96 or 2001-2004 gt.
96-98,01-04 gt :D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
is it possible to do cams without pullint the front timing cover?....i mean its not a big undertaking to get it off nor am i scared to do it by any means...just a simple question weather or not it is possible

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
is it possible to do cams without pullint the front timing cover?....i mean its not a big undertaking to get it off nor am i scared to do it by any means...just a simple question weather or not it is possible

Yes it is possible. I did mine that way using a cam retention tool from Anderson Ford Motorsports. It holds everything in place while drop in the new cam. You have to very close attention to detail. If you are changing valve springs you would need to do those first.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
yes it can be done,lot's of people have done it.anything over a stage 1 cam I would'nt Though. depending on cam size degreeing them would be prefered. and valve spring change's would be difficult if not impossible
How would removing the timing chain cover help with changing valve springs? Remove the lifters and rockers change the valve springs then the cams.

I recommend degreeing a high lift, long duration cam though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts