Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HID help please.

I already have a set of HID's on my car that kinda suck. So i got some 55watt from DDM tuning.

For some reason they dint give me the wire that connects to the battery (wiring harness?)

I was wondering if i can just replace my old ballasts with my new one and the bulbs and make it a easy install?

Update: i switched out my 35w ballast with 55w ballast but left out my old 8000k bulbs that came with the 35w kit and used the old relay\wiring harness..should i not be doing this?

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
You might be able to. If your wiring harness is made for 35w you might melt some wires in the relay. Ask me how i know :dunce:

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
Lmao crap! then i guess i must buy some wiring harness :(
It should work for now. I ran it for at least 2 weeks before I ran into that issue. :dunno sorry man.

Oh and the thing you're looking for is called a relay harness. Though I'm sure your kit should've came with one? Ask DDM about it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should work for now. I ran it for at least 2 weeks before I ran into that issue. :dunno sorry man.

Oh and the thing you're looking for is called a relay harness. Though I'm sure your kit should've came with one? Ask DDM about it.
I just switched out the ballast's only, it was simple plug and play, removed the old ballast and connected the new 55watt ballast

They were so much brighter than the 35w! but it looks like i have a slight flicker on my right headlight.. and other than that it seems fine

I am very worried though lol,

i dint even switch out the bulbs.. i was wondering if putting 55wat ballast with 35wat bulb will affect anything? acutally the bulbs are 8000k

also i thought my FOG lights were also HID's but i couldnt find the ballast for fog lights anywhere under the hood....got me wondering why theyre blue lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just switched out the ballast's only, it was simple plug and play, removed the old ballast and connected the new 55watt ballast

They were so much brighter than the 35w! but it looks like i have a slight flicker on my right headlight.. and other than that it seems fine

I am very worried though lol,

i dint even switch out the bulbs.. i was wondering if putting 55wat ballast with 35wat bulb will affect anything? acutally the bulbs are 8000k

also i thought my FOG lights were also HID's but i couldnt find the ballast for fog lights anywhere under the hood....got me wondering why theyre blue lol
It doesn't matter. I install professionally for ddm and the 35w and 55w are the same bulbs. You just tent to wash out a little bit of the color with the 55w. You should be fine with the 55w on the same harness because ddm only sells one harness for all their kits. I want to say that there is only about a 1 amp difference while they are on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't matter. I install professionally for ddm and the 35w and 55w are the same bulbs. You just tent to wash out a little bit of the color with the 55w. You should be fine with the 55w on the same harness because ddm only sells one harness for all their kits. I want to say that there is only about a 1 amp difference while they are on.

Thanks but i forgot to mention that my old HID kit was from xenon lights i think, and the new ballast are DDM.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The input and output on the ballasts should be the same because they are intended to operate between 10 and 20 volts. You will be fine. 55w is what your factory bulb is so the harness is there more for the high low kits so that there isn't any outside interference

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
Bulbs dont really matter a whole lot. Hrm. Suppose I didn't bother asking if he got a Hi/low bulb LOL. Figured he did because I did. My bad dude.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

This is correct. The bulbs are the same 35w or 55w ballasts. I just installed some DDM tuning hi/low 9007 hids and was impressed with the relay harness and ease of installation.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright thanks guys,

the 55w ballast still isnt as bright as i thought it would be, its definitely brighter than the 35w ballast but, its still kinda hard to see, these smoked headlights are getting on my nerves!!

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
have you properly adjusted your lights?

If not, drive up to a wall 3/4 inch away turn lights on and mark a spot on the wall with something where the center of each light hits. Then drive back 10 feet or so and adjust the lights so they point at the marks on the wall again.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well i think it happened, last night was driving both my headlight HID stopped working...Then came on for like 2 minutes then went off again for good...

:( no idea what it could be lol. But im assuming its the harness maybe

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
Damn that's rough. Checkout the wiring on the relay and see if anythings melted or loose. I found the loose wire and crammed it back in then super glued it into place so I could drive home safely :lol.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn that's rough. Checkout the wiring on the relay and see if anythings melted or loose. I found the loose wire and crammed it back in then super glued it into place so I could drive home safely :lol.
Ugh, this is so frustrating, i tried putting the old 35w ballast back to see if theyd work and they still did not work.

So maybe something to do with the wiring correct?

Wish i was a little more informed.

If one of my HID bulbs stop working does that mean the other side will stop also?

If not then it has to be my wiring or maybe i blew a fuse or something...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you still running the relay harness to the battery? I dont think both bulbs would go out at once. I personally dont have the relay harness for my HID's and so far no flcker.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is my 55W HID Kit from DDM tuning, (I have the other bulb, dint put it in the picture):

My question is what the hell do i do with the blue thing? I have no idea where it goes, it does not fit the wiring harness that is already installed in my car

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
If one bulb blows the other will continue to work. You should be able to tell if a bulb is gone though. If you've swapped the ballasts out for your old working ones and the problem persists that mean's it's most likely not the ballasts. You could take off the relay and just run the bulbs without it to see if that helps any. If it's not any of that you can grab bulbs(experiment with a new color!)+a relay for $45 or just a relay for $20.

Orrrrr

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
The blue connector is labeled "E" in the second diagram and it SHOULD run to your stock wiring harness...but you're saying it doesn't?

·
Registered
148 Posts
double check and make sure the pins at the blue connector are actually going into the OE harness, double check your grounds, maybe even your fuses. there will be one for L and R. if all looks good, power the ballast and bulb directly from the battery bypassing the harness.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts