Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much do our stock ones wieght with control arms? going to drop mines to do long tubes but do want to find out the hard way on how much it wieghts lol

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
probably about 50lbs

i just installed LT's on my car, its nice to have a buddy there for help. its not a huge pain but it is time consuming.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
with arms prob close to 85lbs give or take. Its easier to just suspend the engine and remove the engine mounts.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with arms prob close to 85lbs give or take. Its easier to just suspend the engine and remove the engine mounts.
i tried it that way damn things hit the bell housing n wont let them go in, or what do you mean by suspend ? i lifted the motor up by a jack on the oil pan with a block inbetween

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
get the car at a decent height on jack stands. Then attach a cherry picker/engine hoise to the front and lift the engine as high as you can in the bay with the mounts off the engine and off the stands, you have more than enough room to get any header in there. Takes me 3hrs doin it this way

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
now you can also push the engine left and right for more clearance on the side you are working on.

6 pairs done how I said above longest took 5 hrs cause I was tired and cranky

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn dont have a cherry picker ill see if one of my boys has one tho thanks for the imput 86er n joshc

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
youve done this on a 4.6 car?
yup, and if you need a smidge more room, run the trans mount bolts down about half way out and it gives you some room to come up with the engine

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
1 nice... are you looking for 1/4 mile use or open-track with your ride? The "K" you purchase should be dependent on this decision.

Jazzer :)

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
yup, and if you need a smidge more room, run the trans mount bolts down about half way out and it gives you some room to come up with the engine
wish i would have heard about this before the weekend, would of given it a shot, got a cherry picker and everything.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 nice... are you looking for 1/4 mile use or open-track with your ride? The "K" you purchase should be dependent on this decision.

Jazzer :)
not looking to buy a new k member just yet jazzer, just want to install my long tubes

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
If you must drop the "K" to install your tubes, it makes purrrfect sense to install a new one :yes

I would seriously consider doing them both at the same time, so save a few more $$$ and do it once :D

Jazzer.... pimpin' special K :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok sounds reasonable any good cheap ones you know of jazzer lins would help to

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what kind of screws did u use?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Went to Lowes and got two 3/8 by 12in eye bolts and put a chain link on the eye bolt at the bottom and ran the alt bolt through the chain link

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
get the car at a decent height on jack stands. Then attach a cherry picker/engine hoise to the front and lift the engine as high as you can in the bay with the mounts off the engine and off the stands, you have more than enough room to get any header in there. Takes me 3hrs doin it this way
+1^ I've never dropped a k frame to do long tubes either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts