Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to whoever fixed the title :D

Will I be able to keep my bbk catted x pipe if I get longtubes? If not, (my car is pretty loud as is) would I be able to use a shorty headers or should I just get a different midpipe and longtubes? I basically want the best performance with the least money possible (I'd like to avoid buying another x pipe if possible). And I've heard that shorty headers don't do much. Is this true or is there only a minimal difference? I just don't want my far to bee obnoxious to drive in without the cats. Any opinions are welcome :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Will I be able to keep my bbk catted x pipe if I get longtubes? If not, (my car is pretty loud as is) would I be able to use a shorty headers or should I just get a different midpipe and longtubes? I basically want the best performance with the least money possible (I'd like to avoid buying another x pipe if possible). And I've heard that shorty headers don't do much. Is this true or is there only a minimal difference? I just don't want my far to bee obnoxious to drive in without the cats. Any opinions are welcome :)
If you think like that alot of **** is going to break/not be great quality, when for the little extra money you could of just saved you would of did the install without a head ache with great quality parts. :2cents

Yeah if you get longtubes you would have to get a shorter mid pipe or hack up yours right now. If i were you i would just get long tubes and a new mid pipe and then sell your catted pipe soo you can get some money back. With long tubes you will see a bigger gain than shortys.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes you will be able to keep it if you are getting BBK long-tubes. If you are getting MAC or another brand, I don't know if you would be able to keep your BBK catted x-pipe.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Yes you will be able to keep it if you are getting BBK long-tubes. If you are getting MAC or another brand, I don't know if you would be able to keep your BBK catted x-pipe.
Well this is completely wrong, so don't take this advice

If you go with LT's you'll need a midpipe that is shorter. Like Nico said you'll either have to buy a new one or cut up the one you have. It's your choice whether to go O/R or catted.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two more questions....
1) Do they make short catted x pipes that would work with long tubes?
2) Would having cats reduce the performance or make longtubes not worthwhile?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was researching their stuff a little while ago. I'm almost certain other companies make them, for less. But the cliche "you get what you paid for" comes into play here. And I don't know anyone running them, so I can't say whether they're **** or not.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Here's a catted shorty on AM Clicky
I'm sure other companies make them

I personally don't feel like there's much of a performance advantage of running an O/R pipe over an aftermarket catted pipe. The catted pipes will all have aftermarket hi flow cats, plus there's usually only two of them. The only difference is price and legality

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
just be aware that unlike midpipes for shorty headers, most mid pipes for lts do not fit other brand lts. rule of thumb is to get the same brand mid as the lts you are running.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I'm running BBK LTs and catted x-pipe.

But as you mod your car remember:
Cheap-Fast-Reliable
Pick two.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm running BBK LTs and catted x-pipe.

But as you mod your car remember:
Cheap-Fast-Reliable
Pick two.
So you have bbk's shorty catted x I assume, right? Cant be the same thing that I have

And what do you mean by pick 2? I didnt quite understand what you meant

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Two more questions....
1) Do they make short catted x pipes that would work with long tubes?
2) Would having cats reduce the performance or make longtubes not worthwhile?
So you have bbk's shorty catted x I assume, right? Cant be the same thing that I have

And what do you mean by pick 2? I didnt quite understand what you meant
If you have LTs like Eagle you have to have a shorty mid. Since you have stock manifolds you have a regular length mid.

And he means your car can can either be

Fast and reliable, but it won't be cheap OR
Fast and cheap, but it won't be reliable OR
Cheap and reliable, but it won't be fast

Everyone wants parts that make you faster for rock bottom prices while still remaining reliable, that's not going to happen though. Parts generally have 3 attributes that we are after: they make you fast, they are reliable, or they are cheap.

Best option is to get the parts that make you fast and reliable, but that gets expensive. You can buy cheap parts that make you fast, but generally they are shitty quality and you end up having to buy the more expensive stuff anyway. Or you can buy stuff that's cheap an doesn't do anything for speed/quickness, but then what's the point (generally)

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or would it be ok to use the x pipe I have now, but shorten it or would it be too hard to fit it to bbk longtubes? Or if I did this, would it even have to be bbk longtubes?

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, from looking at the pic on am, it looks like the pipe separates? And the shorty ones look the same but just with a different length of pipe coming out the end. Any ideas?

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly, I would love a different exhaust. I like how the borla stingers and magnapacks sound. I just dont have enough money to change everything. I'm prob gonna do cams before lt's this spring, but I def wanna change it up this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts