Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was sitting around today going through my pads and product and figured I'd do a product review on d151 since I had been talking about it with someone else as a 1 step product for customers.

I drive my truck in the winter and figured it's probably in the shape that a lot of people that would ask for this type of service have. This is a daily driver in the worst weather in Michigan.

My 2005 GMC Sierra has never been clayed (100k miles) or corrected in anyway. It has been through automatic car washes and seen winters/rain/salt etc.

The truck had no wax on it at all as you can see here:

Products
Meguiars d151
Applied with a Griots Garage 6" DA polisher on speed setting 5
1 Hydrotech Tangerine Pad
1 Hydrotech Cyan Pad
Mothers Clay
CG Speed Wipe
CG Honeydew Snow Foam

Process:
First I washed the vehicle and dried it.
Clay'd with Mothers clay and CG Speed Wipe as a lubricant

After I primed the pad with some d151 and a spritz of speed wipe and taped off the sections. I would use each pad on a different section to see how they each finished.

Did 6 passes with the product on speed 5 and moderate pressure then turned it down to speed 4 and did 2 passes with no pressure.

The stuff comes off very easily. Super easy to work with and a little bit goes a very long ways. I do mean a very little bit. I had probably 5 oz. and I have done my wifes Element, the trunk of my Mach, and the hood of my truck and I have maybe used 2 oz?

50/50 with the tangerine pad and d151 and no correction:

Here are a couple videos of the differences between the 2 pads:

I ended up doing the rest of the hood with the Tangerine Pad and here are a few pictures as to how it came out. Sadly the sun wasn't out:

My quick final thoughts:
Pro's:
Easy to work with
A little goes a long ways
Finshes amazing
Has protection built into it
Cheap
No dusting

Con's:
I don't know how good the protection is yet

This can get rid of smaller defects, swirls, and finish like a nice finishing polish without dusting or using a lot of product. For a 1 step product this stuff is absolutely amazing. I could not be more impressed, especially for the price of it.

Update:
So there was plenty of snow the next day.

After all the snow melted here are a few beads and still great reflection.

Update Number 2:
It's been about 9 days since I did this and the truck has been outside almost 24/7 for those 9 days. It's seen snow and rain pretty consitently. I wanted to see how the protection aspect of d151 held up.

It has completely given up. I was unable to take a picture of it earlier but there is no beading left. d151 will give you about 1 weeks protection in harsh weather conditions.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Nice stuff..seems to have a good bit of cut going on for you with that paint.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great write up Shook, I will be using the sample Vader sent us next week so hopefully I'll get similar results!

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice writeup, d151 is a great product
Thanks man. I didn't have a lot of time. The wife and I were going to dinner with some friends so this is what I had time to throw together.

93Mustang said:
Great write up Shook, I will be using the sample Vader sent us next week so hopefully I'll get similar results!
Thanks man. That's what I have been using and it's lasting forever!

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I was sitting around today going through my pads and product and figured I'd do a product review on d151 since I had been talking about it with someone else as a 1 step product for customers.

I drive my truck in the winter and figured it's probably in the shape that a lot of people that would ask for this type of service have. This is a daily driver in the worst weather in Michigan.

My 2005 GMC Sierra has never been clayed (100k miles) or corrected in anyway. It has been through automatic car washes and seen winters/rain/salt etc.

Products
Meguiars d151
1 Hydrotech Cyan Pad
Mothers Clay
CG Speed Wipe
CG Honeydew Snow Foam

Process:

After I primed the pad with some d151 and a spritz of speed wipe and taped off the sections. I would use each pad on a different section to see how they each finished.

Did 6 passes with the product on speed 5 and moderate pressure then turned it down to speed 4 and did 2 passes with no pressure.

The stuff comes off very easily. Super easy to work with and a little bit goes a very long ways. I do mean a very little bit. I had probably 5 oz. and I have done my wifes Element, the trunk of my Mach, and the hood of my truck and I have maybe used 2 oz?

Cyan Pad

Tangerine Pad

I ended up doing the rest of the hood with the Tangerine Pad and here are a few pictures as to how it came out. Sadly the sun wasn't out:

My quick final thoughts:
Pro's:
Easy to work with
Finshes amazing
Cheap
No dusting

Con's:

This can get rid of smaller defects, swirls, and finish like a nice finishing polish without dusting or using a lot of product. For a 1 step product this stuff is absolutely amazing. I could not be more impressed, especially for the price of it.
Thank you for your time sir, i know you were thinkin about your Mach 1 buddy lol.

Im very impressed with the final result man, i am definitely going to pick up a 16oz Sample of D151 to use with clients.

Im actually doing a 2011 Camaro SS soon, its white, and we havent talked numbers but im pretty sure he doesnt want to go all out and spend alot, this will be my suggestion for him.

Plus the stuff is cheap. I think a Buff n Shine white pad will be what will cut and finish the best AIO on this product. Orange is on the heavy side and green is on the light side. Ill probably use my white hexlogics, its medium graded. Im still interested in Hydrotech but its one of those things i dont NEED, i just WANT to try lol.

Yeah I don't know if that paint is soft or not, not 100% sure as to how to tell.
I have a friend who has a 2000 GMC Sierra that ive done some polishing on, i would say the paint is a medium softness, its not hard to polish but its not super soft either, a great test vehicle to do this one.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your time sir, i know you were thinkin about your Mach 1 buddy lol.

Im very impressed with the final result man, i am definitely going to pick up a 16oz Sample of D151 to use with clients.

Im actually doing a 2011 Camaro SS soon, its white, and we havent talked numbers but im pretty sure he doesnt want to go all out and spend alot, this will be my suggestion for him.

Plus the stuff is cheap. I think a Buff n Shine white pad will be what will cut and finish the best AIO on this product. Orange is on the heavy side and green is on the light side. Ill probably use my white hexlogics, its medium graded. Im still interested in Hydrotech but its one of those things i dont NEED, i just WANT to try lol.

I have a friend who has a 2000 GMC Sierra that ive done some polishing on, i would say the paint is a medium softness, its not hard to polish but its not super soft either, a great test vehicle to do this one.
I gotta help out my Mach 1 buddy on here :gay

I was very happy with how this turned out. My hood looks great. It obviously has some orange peel but I don't know how to wet sand yet so it will be that way. Honestly for how cheap this stuff it and for how far it goes I don't see any downfall for the normal person who just wants their car cleaned up for 100 bucks or something. Idk man.

I wish the Mach1registry was half as active as this forum as well lol. I could be in both places.

Another Mach member is coming over tomorrow to pick up that x-pipe I was selling on here. Hopefully the weather is nice, he said he'd drive his Mach if it was. I literally have the only Mach in this entire 60k people city besides one salvaged title (rebuilt with the wrong parts) at a trashy dealership that I test drove once and it's blown out. So I really want to see others lol.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I gotta help out my Mach 1 buddy on here :gay

I was very happy with how this turned out. My hood looks great. It obviously has some orange peel but I don't know how to wet sand yet so it will be that way. Honestly for how cheap this stuff it and for how far it goes I don't see any downfall for the normal person who just wants their car cleaned up for 100 bucks or something. Idk man.

I wish the Mach1registry was half as active as this forum as well lol. I could be in both places.

Another Mach member is coming over tomorrow to pick up that x-pipe I was selling on here. Hopefully the weather is nice, he said he'd drive his Mach if it was. I literally have the only Mach in this entire 60k people city besides one salvaged title (rebuilt with the wrong parts) at a trashy dealership that I test drove once and it's blown out. So I really want to see others lol.
Yea 100 bucks is about the price point i was thinking as well, a wash clay and d151. Good price, you could knock it out in about 4 hours if you work fast. I would adjust the price according to vehicle size, starting at 100 min.

Ive seen a couple mach 1s around me, but very rarely, theres a blue one thats busted, ragged out that ive seen twice. Another blue one thats pretty nice, they turned around and chased me down to ask me what kind of exhaust i had lol. Ive only heard 2 other mustangs in person that sounded similar to mine, one was an 01 cobra of a guy i know, and the other was an 03 cobra that i ran into in town. We took off together and it was like a 32v symphony... ridiculous.

Ive only seen ONE other black mach 1 in person it was BONE stock, i mean STOCK, looked like a different car than mine, lol. I like having a black one cause you gotta get up on it and see the hood before you know its a mach 1 lol. Id love to have a color as rare as SY. Next best was black lol

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
A lot of stock mach 1s around me are very clean

100 is okay for no interior work, but everything in and out would already be 80 for me for a Camaro, if filthy 100 and +40-60 for a one step
Don't ever work for less than you deserve!

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea 100 bucks is about the price point i was thinking as well, a wash clay and d151. Good price, you could knock it out in about 4 hours if you work fast. I would adjust the price according to vehicle size, starting at 100 min.

Ive seen a couple mach 1s around me, but very rarely, theres a blue one thats busted, ragged out that ive seen twice. Another blue one thats pretty nice, they turned around and chased me down to ask me what kind of exhaust i had lol. Ive only heard 2 other mustangs in person that sounded similar to mine, one was an 01 cobra of a guy i know, and the other was an 03 cobra that i ran into in town. We took off together and it was like a 32v symphony... ridiculous.

Ive only seen ONE other black mach 1 in person it was BONE stock, i mean STOCK, looked like a different car than mine, lol. I like having a black one cause you gotta get up on it and see the hood before you know its a mach 1 lol. Id love to have a color as rare as SY. Next best was black lol
That's awesome. You can never go wrong with black if it's being kept clean. It's insane how much depth that color alone has. I can't wait to go to Chicago next year. We go there every year and I absolutely love the skyline highway (at night). Lot's of very cool cars around there and I want to see some more Machs.

The guy couldn't drive his Mach up here because it was snowing yesterday. . Ugh, I don't blame him. I'm not even pulling mine out of the pole barn if there is snow lol.

SON1C said:

100 is okay for no interior work, but everything in and out would already be 80 for me for a Camaro, if filthy 100 and +40-60 for a one step
Does that 80 include just a wash on the exterior and full detail on the interior?

100 for 4 hours is 25 an hour which isn't bad.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts

Yea thats just outside, there will be a separate price for the inside, but its brand new, so it shouldnt require much but a little APC and Innerclean.

I never get less than i deserve lol, cheapest paying client job ive done was 300 so far. One was 240 but that was with a large discount. I try to find a balance, i want to get good money but i dont wanna rip anyone off.

That's awesome. You can never go wrong with black if it's being kept clean. It's insane how much depth that color alone has. I can't wait to go to Chicago next year. We go there every year and I absolutely love the skyline highway (at night). Lot's of very cool cars around there and I want to see some more Machs.

The guy couldn't drive his Mach up here because it was snowing yesterday. . Ugh, I don't blame him. I'm not even pulling mine out of the pole barn if there is snow lol.

Does that 80 include just a wash on the exterior and full detail on the interior?

100 for 4 hours is 25 an hour which isn't bad.
For me the 100 bucks would get the outside washed, clayed, and LSP. I would charge extra for the d151 and then again extra for the inside. The last job i did was a Wash, Clay, 1 step with 205, and NanoCoating. Took me about 5ish hours and i collected 300 :). I usually charge per hour when im polishing:

Its a base price for the wash/clay/wax + $__/hr @ however many hours of polishing i do. The price obviously is flexible based on vehicle size, vehicle condition and the LSP used, obviously Fuzion or hardbody would cost more than XXX or BFWD, lol. Im going to type up a pricing chart soon, along with some business cards. i dont wanna go crazy but i do want to seem legit to people who dont personally know me.

I havent seen the camaro, i will tuesday, idk how much he is trying to spend, im going to recommend the wash/clay/lsp. If he wants to spend more ill recommend a 1 step polish increase reflectivity and eliminate minor defects. Probably will apply Fuzion, i think that if white can look wet, then Fuzion is the one to do it.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea thats just outside, there will be a separate price for the inside, but its brand new, so it shouldnt require much but a little APC and Innerclean.

I never get less than i deserve lol, cheapest paying client job ive done was 300 so far. One was 240 but that was with a large discount. I try to find a balance, i want to get good money but i dont wanna rip anyone off.

For me the 100 bucks would get the outside washed, clayed, and LSP. I would charge extra for the d151 and then again extra for the inside. The last job i did was a Wash, Clay, 1 step with 205, and NanoCoating. Took me about 5ish hours and i collected 300 :). I usually charge per hour when im polishing:

Its a base price for the wash/clay/wax + $__/hr @ however many hours of polishing i do. The price obviously is flexible based on vehicle size, vehicle condition and the LSP used, obviously Fuzion or hardbody would cost more than XXX or BFWD, lol. Im going to type up a pricing chart soon, along with some business cards. i dont wanna go crazy but i do want to seem legit to people who dont personally know me.

I havent seen the camaro, i will tuesday, idk how much he is trying to spend, im going to recommend the wash/clay/lsp. If he wants to spend more ill recommend a 1 step polish increase reflectivity and eliminate minor defects. Probably will apply Fuzion, i think that if white can look wet, then Fuzion is the one to do it.
Very good ideas/info here. I think business cards are ingenious. They cost next to nothing nowadays and do make you seem much more professional.

My wife does pr/marketing/social media for Dow Chemical so if I ever get into this I will have a good go to person lol.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Very good ideas/info here. I think business cards are ingenious. They cost next to nothing nowadays and do make you seem much more professional.

My wife does pr/marketing/social media for Dow Chemical so if I ever get into this I will have a good go to person lol.
WE have a good go to person.....:shiftyeyes

Like i said, im not trying to create a detailing empire or anything lol. But i love doing it and its GREAT side money. But in order to look officially professional, you need business cards. I like my day job, i make good money and have lots of opportunities ahead of me, after thats done, i get my retirement and stock dividends....then ill detail for a living lol.

Its just alot easier to justify spending hundreds on products, and guns and mods if im doing something on the side to pay for it all lol.

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WE have a good go to person.....:shiftyeyes

Like i said, im not trying to create a detailing empire or anything lol. But i love doing it and its GREAT side money. But in order to look officially professional, you need business cards. I like my day job, i make good money and have lots of opportunities ahead of me, after thats done, i get my retirement and stock dividends....then ill detail for a living lol.

Its just alot easier to justify spending hundreds on products, and guns and mods if im doing something on the side to pay for it all lol.
Hahahaha

Heck yeah man, to literally pay for your hobbies out of doing side jobs (that you like doing) is a pretty huge deal.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Hahahaha

Heck yeah man, to literally pay for your hobbies out of doing side jobs (that you like doing) is a pretty huge deal.
Hell yea, ive got about 100 more bucks of products i wanna get, i think ill get most of them for Christmas.

Yeah I usually go through vista print for thousand cards or so, make sure to have their advertising removed as that kills your professional look
I need to order cards, ive already designed one, just need to pic the finish and such.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Products
Meguiars d151
1 Hydrotech Cyan Pad
Mothers Clay
CG Speed Wipe
CG Honeydew Snow Foam

Process:

Cyan Pad

Tangerine Pad

My quick final thoughts:
Pro's:
Easy to work with
Finshes amazing
Cheap
No dusting

Con's:

Update:
So there was plenty of snow the next day.

After all the snow melted here are a few beads and still great reflection.

Update Number 2:
It's been about 9 days since I did this and the truck has been outside almost 24/7 for those 9 days. It's seen snow and rain pretty consitently. I wanted to see how the protection aspect of d151 held up.

It has completely given up. I was unable to take a picture of it earlier but there is no beading left. d151 will give you about 1 weeks protection in harsh weather conditions.
Shook, so you only used d151, you didn't use a sealant on top for added protection after cutting into the clear coat? i was thinking about doing a car with d151 and then topping with a sealant (BFWDPS) and then collinite #845.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts