Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to by a built 5.0 out of a 93 with AOD (still running in his car) and put it in my stock 89 5.0 with the T5. Will the cranks match up? What about computer issues between the years?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
u can use the engine with no problems as long as u are using your computer and transmission just make sure u use your damper and flywheel...

what is done to it???

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the Trick Flow R intake (2,500-7,500rpm). Is that streetable? I don't want a track car.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That intake will give you more upper RPM airflow than the Street Heat, but having the blower on the car will more than compensate at lower RPM's...

However, it's your total combo which will determine what RPM ranges your motor really starts to pull at.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Brodix aluminum heads, Trick Flow intake, Vortech S1 S/C at 13lb of boost, built by a shop with receipts.
that thing is gona haul some ass

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The cranks will match up fine. The engine is a direct swap. Just be sure to yank the computer and wiring harness from that 93 as sean said, you'll need that with the mass air system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i did this with my stock motor into the car im building now youll have to get the pilet bearin that goes in the back of the crank and what sean said

·
Registered
60 Posts
The cranks will match up fine. The engine is a direct swap. Just be sure to yank the computer and wiring harness from that 93 as sean said, you'll need that with the mass air system.
93 computer harness wont work on an 89.Ford changed it in 91.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take a look at what i wrote again.
Wiring harness from a 93 will NOT plug into an 89 dash harness.Engine harness will work but the computer harness won't.I had to change the whole dash harness when I did my swap.My donor car was a 90 and my coupe is a 91.87-90 had 2 plugs going into the dash harness,91-93 only have 1 plug.Besides the 89 is a mass air car anyway so he doest need to change the harness.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Wiring harness from a 93 will NOT plug into an 89 dash harness.Engine harness will work but the computer harness won't.I had to change the whole dash harness when I did my swap.My donor car was a 90 and my coupe is a 91.87-90 had 2 plugs going into the dash harness,91-93 only have 1 plug.Besides the 89 is a mass air car anyway so he doest need to change the harness.
First of all, not all 89s have mass air. Its possible his doesnt. Secondly, i understand what your saying about the wiring harness from the 93 not working with the dash harness in the 89. 'Computer and harness's'.. what i really meant, and sorry for not being 'specific'.. the ECU, the engine harness, gauge cluster and its harness. Normaly, most people understand "computer and harness's" as being everything as a package.

I see where you misunderstood... I wrote harness... it should have been pluralized.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First of all, not all 89s have mass air. Its possible his doesnt. Secondly, i understand what your saying about the wiring harness from the 93 not working with the dash harness in the 89. 'Computer and harness's'.. what i really meant, and sorry for not being 'specific'.. the ECU, the engine harness, gauge cluster and its harness. Normaly, most people understand "computer and harness's" as being everything as a package.

I see where you misunderstood... I wrote harness... it should have been pluralized.
I think all 89 Mustangs were mass air.It was 88 California cars that had Mass air.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Are you 100% sure? The last 89 coupe i just sold, had speed density when i first purchased it, and i converted it to mass air.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you 100% sure? The last 89 coupe i just sold, had speed density when i first purchased it, and i converted it to mass air.
I did a GOOGLE search and came up with this:

"There was a big difference that occurred in 1989. It was a mechanical changeover in the 5.0 Mustangs. All 5.0 Mustangs in all 50 states replaced the speed density system that was used in 1988 to mass airflow sensor metering. The GTs sold in California in 1988 had already been switched over, but the rest of the models for 1989 were changed."

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I did a GOOGLE search and came up with this:

"There was a big difference that occurred in 1989. It was a mechanical changeover in the 5.0 Mustangs. All 5.0 Mustangs in all 50 states replaced the speed density system that was used in 1988 to mass airflow sensor metering. The GTs sold in California in 1988 had already been switched over, but the rest of the models for 1989 were changed."
Interesting. I dont know what to tell you man. Mine had SD when i first bought it, and i had to change it over to Mass Air. :dunno

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting. I dont know what to tell you man. Mine had SD when i first bought it, and i had to change it over to Mass Air. :dunno
That is weird.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I'm pretty sure all 89s were mass air, I've never heard anything about the harnesses between 93 and 89 being different.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
That is weird.
Yeah. It seemed weird when i purchased the car, but at the time i was under the impression that half way through 89' they switched to Mass Air.. and mine was one that hadnt been changed. Thanks for posting the correct information regarding the year differences.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm pretty sure all 89s were mass air, I've never heard anything about the harnesses between 93 and 89 being different.
Trust me they are.It was not fun having to swap out the dash harness in my 91.It really sucked becuase I had already junked the car before I figured it out.Had to search out a new 90 dash harness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts