Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Im pretty sure its the rods.. The heads would be fine.. But if you in there you might aswell get a fully forged rotating assembly.. Ajm beat me..

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
rods are powdered metal and are junk, pistons are hyperutectic and the ringlands can crack fairly easily with too much power/psi. i've had 2 pistons go off at once with broken ringlands. car still ran though sparkplugs were smashed flat lol.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh i see.

So is it 400HP or 400RWHP?

I took a ride in a Supercharged mustang this weekend and well, now im thinking i need to speed up my plans for the car haha. I want a minimum of 430RWHP.

If the heads are strong enough then i'll just leave those.

How much am i looking at for rods and pistons?

Do you guys think i should Build my engine first or should I just get the supercharger and get a Safe tune and then save up again to do a engine build later on?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
ahh i see.

So is it 400HP or 400RWHP?

I took a ride in a Supercharged mustang this weekend and well, now im thinking i need to speed up my plans for the car haha. I want a minimum of 430RWHP.

If the heads are strong enough then i'll just leave those.

How much am i looking at for rods and pistons?

Do you guys think i should Build my engine first or should I just get the supercharger and get a Safe tune and then save up again to do a engine build later on?
If it was me i would just build it.. I wouldnt take the chance of waiting and blowing your motor and risk damaging your supercharger and or your heads.. Some have made that on a stock motor safely and others have blown with less than that..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i think anyone here will tell you "do it the right way and rebuild first blah blah blah" im not saying i disagree BUT most importantly, its your car. if u want the s/c and think u'll have time to save up before it breaks then go for it. u know your car better than anyone else.

^^^^you see....

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i think it has alot to do with how hard the car is driven on a day to day basis, run boost all the time its gonna blow but but if your careful i would say it will last...
i agree, there are a few things that will effect what'll happen. 1)tune/combo-with a bad tune or trying to run 14 lbs of boost on a stock motor, chances are it's not going to last. 2)How you drive it-If the boost gauge is pegged all the time, you're on borrowed time. 3)Maintenence-If you don't change your oil on time, etc...you're on borrowed time as well.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
^^^:yes

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
you could run 450rwhp as long as it is running efficient. Ported heads, good cams 10 pounds of boost, few bolt ons. youll be over 430rwhp. Unix is running 470rwhp on his stock shortblock with just cams and d1sc and stock heads. As much talk about the "weak rods" that i hear, i have yet to see a post about a broke rod. I have seen ONE where a piston went to **** but not a rod yet. Im at 427rwhp at 9-10 pounds with 147000 miles and have some stage 2 heads sitting in the garage. There is no DEFINITE number on the stock shortblocks power levels. The tune will play a VERY big part on its life.

An efficient 440rwhp (ported heads, good cams, LT's, etc) car is way better than a car with 15 pounds of boost to hit 440rwhp.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
my vote hands down....

BUY SUPERCHARGER 1st and get you a good tune. Then save up for the shortblock. Ive saved up for the shortblock but hell, my car is running perfect as it is so why change it. So ill just hang on to that money.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you could run 450rwhp as long as it is running efficient. Ported heads, good cams 10 pounds of boost, few bolt ons. youll be over 430rwhp. Unix is running 470rwhp on his stock shortblock with just cams and d1sc and stock heads. As much talk about the "weak rods" that i hear, i have yet to see a post about a broke rod. I have seen ONE where a piston went to **** but not a rod yet. Im at 427rwhp at 9-10 pounds with 147000 miles and have some stage 2 heads sitting in the garage. There is no DEFINITE number on the stock shortblocks power levels. The tune will play a VERY big part on its life.

An efficient 440rwhp (ported heads, good cams, LT's, etc) car is way better than a car with 15 pounds of boost to hit 440rwhp.
Damn Baker. Me and you need to have a Sit down and talk. haha. Soooo you have 147,000 Miles on your Motor? thats crazy, and you motor is holding up at 427RWHP. that awesome. All you have to your engine is Cams and the Prochager and a couple other bolt ons in your sig. seems pretty easy to reach 430 then...

See my problem is i dont want to get cams and do all that stuff on a engine that could blow. then i just paid all that money to get the cams installed and what not just to have to pay all over again. Seems risky. I don't plan on going over 10LBS of boost. I am very confident in our Local tuner. he is a very reputable tuner. If any of you guys have heard of Alternitive auto Alternative Auto Performance - Mustang and Ford Performance Experts thats where im getting it tuned when the time comes. i guess i should give him a call as well and see what he suggests.

yeah maybe ill just do the charger and then build an engine as i get the money or something. i cant afford to do both right now.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i agree, there are a few things that will effect what'll happen. 1)tune/combo-with a bad tune or trying to run 14 lbs of boost on a stock motor, chances are it's not going to last. 2)How you drive it-If the boost gauge is pegged all the time, you're on borrowed time. 3)Maintenence-If you don't change your oil on time, etc...you're on borrowed time as well.
what do you mean by pegging? sorry...

I keep up on my maintance but don't know what the previous owner did, but so far no problems for the 3 years i've had it and Daily Driven.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i guess he means if you just run it wide open in boost all the time.

Yeah dude, the car runs strong as ever. The blower has been on the car for almost 2 years so.... And i beat the piss out of it when i drive it. Its mostly drove by farrah (gf) and she stays in vaccum 100 % of the time so she doesnt hurt it at all. Just runs like it was made at the factory with 427rwhp. Holla at me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
alternative auto is Lidio Iacabelli (sp?) isn't it? If so he's an excellent tuner and nationally known.

·
Registered
828 Posts
rods are powdered metal and are junk, pistons are hyperutectic and the ringlands can crack fairly easily with too much power/psi. i've had 2 pistons go off at once with broken ringlands. car still ran though sparkplugs were smashed flat lol.
powdered metal rods are considered forged...so I don't think those are stock. I thought the stock rods were cast iron and thats why they were junk :confused:

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
definitely plenty and i can rape 90% of the cars im going to see on the street. I just had to be able to shock the lsx cars. (corvettes, old and new camaros, TA's)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts