Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when installing your throw out bearing do any of you put any type of lubrication on the imput shaft of the tranny or pivot ball stud?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Put grees on the input shaft and dab some grees in the pocket where the pivot ball goes

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Exactly what stal said ^

This will keep the pedal nice and smooth. If there is any notching or groves in the shift fork or pivot ball, replace them. Unless you want unpleasant ness in the clutch pedal down the road.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tranny is freshly rebuit.

well the thing is i lubed it the first time about 3-4k miles later the it went out (the TOB) and everything im reading now says not to lube the imput shaft ( the part the TOB slides on) but the imput splines need to be lightly lubed before going in the pilot bushing.

on another form someone brought up a good point when they said dont lube the shaft because clutch dust will settle on it when the car is not being driven and will start to form more abrasive material and be detrimental to the TOB. and i must say that was a good point.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
The shaft needs to have a THIN coat of (this is coming from the workshop manual) Motorcraft Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or XG-1-K equivalent. This can be found at a parts store real easily. Also, put a thin film of this on the face of the TOB. Make sure that both are cleaned prior to greasing.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill take a look at napa.
thanks

also the dust shield is it suppose to have some sort of gastket ?
( my car did not have a dust shield when i bought it. so i picked one up at the junkyard)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts