Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Should be fine as long as it threads onto the piece that came with the kit, and you can find a tap for it.

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
I'm not a guru on this, but the 16 refers to the pitch of the tap if I'm not mistaken. It has to do with the threads per inch.

The one I used is 3/8 NPT 18.

That said: I have no ****ing idea if the 16 will be ok or not.

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
hope that clears things up! :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually found it out and there is a difference. For anyone else that didn't know make sure you get a npt

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has anyone just drilled a hole in there pan instead of punching it? let me know if you have and if it worked well. i cant find one punch big enough

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
By punching it, the metal of the pan rolls inward on itself. This is what you will use to screw the tap into and make threads.

So you can't just drill a hole. The metal is too thin and you won't be able to thread it. If you did manage to get a thread on it, it would leak like hell.

It shouldn't be hard to find a punch large enough. You start with a small punch and work up to larger ones until the hole is large enough.

I have a regular set of Craftsman punches. I don't recall buying a specific one for this job.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When you use the punch it actually rolls a lip into the metal so the tap actually has enough material to grab onto. If you drill it out there won't be any thing to tap, the oil pan is too thin. Plus you are going to get a ton of metal shavings if you drill it out. Make sure to pack the tap with lots of grease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts