Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so im having the detroit locker pulled out of my 03 next week to put in ford racing carbon fiber clutch packs because the detroit is too much for a street car regardless of the good traction. the car has 3.73 ford racing gears in it and only 36k miles. i'm not sure how many miles the car had when the 3.73/detroit was installed. For the detroit to work, it requires a lot of backlash and thats why it is clunky on the street. The gears don't whine now, maybe very faintly at 40-45mph but you have to listen for it. If i have the new clutch packs installed and they reset the backlash to what the factory setting is(i think its .008 or something like that) will the gears whine because they have been driven with the backlash required for the locker? thanks!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The clunkiness should have come soley from the locker. Improper backlash can cause some clunking but it's typically marked by loud howling or whining. You don't really set up gears for factory settings... you set the lash anytime and everytime the gear set is changed or the carrier is changed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the backlash isnt improper right now, detroit lockers just require alot to function properly. Everything in the rear is going to stay the same (the frpp 3.73 gears and bearings) when they do the work. The only thing they are switching out is the detroit locker for the clutch packs. I didnt know if the excessive backlash required for the locker wore in the gears at all to work at that backlash and if they set the backlash to the specs for clutch packs, if it will cause any issues. I dont think it will but just wanted to double check.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
No you will not have any issues with your gears as long as the new backlash is set properly.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, thanks! what else do i have to bring for the install besides the clutch packs? i bought 3 quarts of RP gear oil. The shop(mpe racing) is doing it for $200 which is really good and the guy knows his stuff about mustangs. He did the gears in my old v6

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
You shouldnt need to bring anything else a shop like that should have everything you need. I actually bought a Supercharger system from them many years ago, they seemed like good folks.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Main too bad I didnt know about you doing this sooner. I would've traded you my 31 spline trac loc for your D Locker straight up.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went by Mpe racing today and he said he thinks the gears will wine if he takes out the locker and installs the carbon fiber differential because he said patterns were worn into the gear driving with that much backlash and if I change it it could be noisy? What do you guys think? Worst comes to worst I can upgrade to 4.10 but I really like my 3.73 because they give better traction

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I'd go 4.10 anyway. If you don't want 4.10s re-use what you have. If they're set up right (and not destroyed from prior mis-installation) they won't whine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats the thing, i dont think they have anything wrong with them. The car only has 35k on it. I dont want to spend the money and have it whine. My car is a DD and strictly street car. I wouldnt mind 4.10 but traction is going to be an issue until spring lol unless one of the ultra high performance all season tires is up to the task but i doubt it

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
My only gear is 4.10. It's certainly not the gear for everyone, but it's right for me. I do my own work so it's very easy for me to say throw them in...... if they were raising hell in mine I'd simply fix the problem... very easy to say when you don't have to pay labor cost right? If the gears aren't ruined from poor installation, they'll be fine. If poor installation has lead to signifigant wear, they are going to raise hell. If you have had no noise issues with the gears, they are most likely just fine and will give you no issues whatsoever. Again, I do my own work and labor cost for a re-set isn't a concern for me..... and I hate 3.73s that's why I said I'd go 4.10. Re-read the first two sentences for why I said 4.10.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
If I had the time I would just send you my rear diff with 4.10s already in exchange for just your locker since I will be switching to 4.30s soon anyway. But tis the case, I have no time to have the car down

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm alright i think i might do the 4.10. Im staying N/A anyways and with the cams the car has it will probably help to always be in the power band when i get on it. The tire situation is was has me holding back. I DD the car in New England weather. I want to get Nitto tires but clearly they would only be good for half the year. Didnt know if anyway has any experience with like contiental extreme contact dws and 4.10 gears. Im also doing MM HD LCA soon too

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You can't have it all. Cold weather tires aren't made for hooking 4.10 gears on snow, they're made for better traction on snow/cold weather surfaces.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just want to get a few more opinions on if the gears will whine when the rear end gets reset up without the detroit locker. I really want to stick with 3.73

1 - 15 of 15 Posts