Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
F*stocker
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday was the last SASCA autocross for 2012, and my goal for the event was improving on my crappy two seconds off top PAX performance from the week prior. First time course designers Minh and Ira set up a fast layout with a skidpad like crossover and a couple of tight sweepers with a kink at the finish that left several cars with +5 penalties and DNFs by overrunning the box.

Without further ado, here's a video of my fastest run, a 42.06.

It was about three tenths faster than my third "money" run, but I also had a passenger and wasn't as clean through the first element, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p In any case, it was a marked improvement for me from last week, with ninth fastest raw time and third PAX time out of 81 drivers. A few of our national level regulars failed to show up, but considering top PAX was set by seven time national champion Dr. Erik in his three-rotor SSM RX7 and I was only .488 off, it felt like a win to me :banana

Some of my friends accuse me of being better on power courses since I did several track days and the Skip Barber three day school before ever setting foot on an autocross course, maybe they're right? :dunno Hopefully I can get shocks on there soon and improve my results on the tighter, more technical courses!

·
n00b
171 Posts
Holy power course batman!! I see a few places in the high-speed sections where some rebound control would definitely have let you keep your right foot planted. In time, eh! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some of my friends accuse me of being better on power courses since I did several track days and the Skip Barber three day school before ever setting foot on an autocross course, maybe they're right? :dunno Hopefully I can get shocks on there soon and improve my results on the tighter, more technical courses!
I definitely think that having some high speed road course experience helps with the more open, power courses. I came from a FWD car with pretty stiff suspension and big tires but it was supremely stable at high speed, in the Mustang with all the movement in the chassis it's been hard for me to get into a comfort zone on high speed courses on high grip surfaces. On the other hand, I tend to do a lot better time-wise against my usual crowd when the events are held on loose, gravelly surfaces or in the rain where grip/speeds are low. (I think maybe I just need to grow a bigger pair :gayfight2:)

·
F*stocker
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see a few places in the high-speed sections where some rebound control would definitely have let you keep your right foot planted. In time, eh! :)
Hopefully before the Texas tour in March :D

I came from a FWD car with pretty stiff suspension and big tires but it was supremely stable at high speed, in the Mustang with all the movement in the chassis it's been hard for me to get into a comfort zone on high speed courses on high grip surfaces.
I'm the opposite, put me in a fast STS Miata with stiff "concrete" springs (think 700lb front and 450lb rear) and the special sauce 195/50-15 R1R, and I can barely come within two seconds of the owner. And this is after codriving the car for three full events :p But in the Mustang, the body motions make it easier for my subconscious to judge the limit of grip (though familiarity with the A6 helps too lol). Guess it's a matter of trust.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I seriously enjoyed the super stiff special sauce STS miata I drove only twice this last season. I was actually shopping for one after the last event, until I took time to breathe!

I will be probably campaigning 1/2 a season in the miata to see if my results were just a fluke, and 1/2 the season still tweaking the mustang for ESP slowly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts