Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my fuel pump replaced, and now the repair man 'forgot' the gasket that goes around the pipe that comes from the side of the car into the tank. It is loose, and now gas is leaking out of it whenever I take a left turn.

I am fairly certain that he will replace it no charge, but I need to get it down there, and its a 30 mile drive there, with many left turns.

Could I put Duct/Gorilla tape around it, just to stop it from leaking?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
You could but its not a great fix. I had the same problem, its the filler neck gasket(mine went). Filling your tank up only 1/2 way should help with the spill, just try the duct tape if it doesnt work.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How full is your tank currently?

If I recall gas dissolves the glue on duct tape so that wouldn't really work well. If your tank isn't full I'd just take it slow, maybe stuff a rag in there or something to slow down the leakage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea. Its about 3/4. I have to go to school tomorrow, so its ganna be a slow ride.

I'm ganna stop by a dealer tomorrow and get a new one, and replace it myself, rather than driving 30 min out to the repair joint, and 30 back. (maybe twice)

Scholl, you said you replaced yours? was it difficult? How much was the part?

Also, i heard year 99+ had to be cut off, then replaced. True?

Autozone guy said no to tape, could gunk up the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I replaced mine just over a year ago.

It's a $20 part from the dealership. My dealership didn't have one in stock and took 3 days to get me one. It was easiest just to cut the old one off and the install involves dropping one side of the fuel tank which is going to be bad with 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

I'd definitely take it back to whoever worked on it. You might also be able to force it back in place if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Why would you have to drop the right side? You can take the fuel filler pipe out with like.. 7 bolts?
The filler pipe extends into the tank like a foot and since it has a solid bend in it you can't physically get it out unless the tank is at a different angle or down lower. You can unbolt it and give it a try but I wasn't able to get mine out without dropping the tank part way.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I don't understand why everybody takes the gasket out...I've swapped my fuel pumps several times and all you have to do is drop down the other side of the tank and support it with a jack. Then remove the fuel pump. Then it saves time and $20.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't understand why everybody takes the gasket out...I've swapped my fuel pumps several times and all you have to do is drop down the other side of the tank and support it with a jack. Then remove the fuel pump. Then it saves time and $20.
Because we're retarded and don't know what we're doing. I really just didn't want to try to put a different pump in while still under the car.

Why have you swapped fuel pumps multiple times?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you talking about the infamous grommet that seals the filler neck into the tank that rots out and leaks?
Yes. That is exactly what I'm talking about. [Don't worry, I replaced it today.]

The filler pipe extends into the tank like a foot and since it has a solid bend in it you can't physically get it out unless the tank is at a different angle or down lower. You can unbolt it and give it a try but I wasn't able to get mine out without dropping the tank part way.
You Liar. xD... I replaced it today without dropping the tank. I didn't touch the tank at all. You just have to know what to disconnect when. Did you pass the "Put the triangle through the triangle hole, Square though the Square hole" test in kindergarten? Or did you always get stumped why you just couldnt get the square through the triangle?

haha just messin'. I might have been lucky.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
You Liar. xD... I replaced it today without dropping the tank. I didn't touch the tank at all. You just have to know what to disconnect when. Did you pass the "Put the triangle through the triangle hole, Square though the Square hole" test in kindergarten? Or did you always get stumped why you just couldnt get the square through the triangle?

:lmao :lmao

·
Registered
662 Posts
lol i dropped the tank to replace mine too. then well after it was done i looked at a write up on actually how to do it and im retarded apparently. all you have to do is peel back the carpet in the trunk and take out like 2 screws holding the filler neck to the body and take the rest of the screws out of the filler neck that hold it in the hole of the gas door. and everything slides out lol.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Because we're retarded and don't know what we're doing. I really just didn't want to try to put a different pump in while still under the car.

Why have you swapped fuel pumps multiple times?
1st time was putting in the focus pump for my supercahrger, second time was putting the stocker back in when I soold everything, 3rd time was just putting in the twin pumps for my turbo build.

I just figured I'd say so people don't have to spend the $20+. I just wish I'd have ran my car out of gas before I stored it for the year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol i dropped the tank to replace mine too. then well after it was done i looked at a write up on actually how to do it and im retarded apparently. all you have to do is peel back the carpet in the trunk and take out like 2 screws holding the filler neck to the body and take the rest of the screws out of the filler neck that hold it in the hole of the gas door. and everything slides out lol.
Yea, I kinda figured, I know Ford may cut corners here and there, but there is no way they are going to make it that time costly to replace that gasket. I was still awkward to weave it out of the two holes, pipe is bent too sharp. If they had another inch of the whole in the trunk, towards the left, it would be no problem. It just keeps bottoming out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
yea. it took me and my dad about 45 minutes to do total. we just said **** it and dropped the tank even though we really didnt want to.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Glad yours was easy.

I tried for like 10 minutes on mine and couldn't get it out that way. I was replacing my fuel pump so I was planning on dropping the tank anyways.

It probably didn't help that I was quite sloshed at the time. Putting my half full fuel tank back in by myself proved to be quite a challenge too. I was juggling a floor jack, milk crate and 2x4 trying to leverage it in place then get some bolts in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts