Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night I hopped in the mustang and headed to the track. I got there had the car inspected and it passed. Got in line and waited a lil bit to get up there. Finally got up there. Did a small burnout not in the water. Drove up the light. Lights came down I let er rip and immediately the car dies. The tires hooked so good that it bogged the motor down and I killed it instantly. I had to ride the clutch more. I've never raced a stick shift before at the track. This was my first time. YES it was embarrassing. I hurried up started the car and took off did a 18 something @91mph.

Second pass

I said this time I'm doing it right. I get up there lights go down and boom I kill it again. I was like WTF am I doing wrong. Embarrassed again I just mossy on down the track did a 22sec pass.

Third pass

Ok this time I'm not going to F*** up. I get up there to the lights. Lights come down I revved the motor up and let er rip this time I take off good didn't spin what so ever motor did bog down a bit but it was going shift into second @ 5000rpm then into third gear I was cooking beat the car on the side of me. Take the strip and I was happy. I get my ticket 14.99 @ 92mph well alright better than I expected. I'm happy with 14.99.

Fourth pass

This time I let it rip and spun the tires thru first. Ran a 15.43

Here is a picture.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Now you're hooked :)

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
welcome to the addiction my friend, prepare to stay broke

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
BTW, what track is that at?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Do you have 2.73 in that? My 1991 does and even though I went down the track at least 100 times in that car, I don't think I EVER had a launch that did not bog or spin too much. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I think my best 60ft was about a 2.4. I typically had 15.1x at 93.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
BTW, what track is that at?

That's a GIR went for the tuesday night T & T

I race their all the time with my other car. This was the first time in the mustang and a stick shift. It was horrible compared to what I'm use to.

my 60' was 2.179 1/8 was 9.627 72mph 1/4 14.99 @ 92.32 mph

Yes I still have 2.73's the motor is stock I just have an off-road X pipe thru mac mufflers. Full exhaust out the back.

That was my test. I got a number stock. In a few month's I'm going with 3.55 gears see what I gain. What do you think with 3.55's. I'm shooting for low 14's maybe a 13.99 that's a stretch.

I bracket race this car often on braket race night at Gateway Internation Raceway. Nice track

here is another fellow stang i saw at the track last night. I wanted to talk to him about it but I didn't.

want to see more pics here is the link to the track photo's

Racing Perspectives : GIR 2008-04-01 TUESDAY

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
3.73 gears and some 26 x 10.5 ET streets, launch at 4000 rpms or so and you will see high 13s.

Also a cheap $30 ebay cold air intake with large piping and fenderwell air filter is worth a few HP

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if I lauched properly.

I just sat there at Idle then when the light came on I reved it up real quick and went. As you can tell from what I wrote that didn't work for me.

How do you launch a stick shift car?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
With sticky tires, I typically hold the rpms around 4500 to 5000. When the last yellow flashes I simultaneously mash the gas pedal while quickly releasing (not really a dump, but very quick) the clutch pedal. you do not want to feather the clutch, that will just cost you ET and ruin your clutch.

If everything goes right the car will take off and you will need to grab second in a hurry.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
With sticky tires, I typically hold the rpms around 4500 to 5000. When the last yellow flashes I simultaneously mash the gas pedal while quickly releasing (not really a dump, but very quick) the clutch pedal. you do not want to feather the clutch, that will just cost you ET and ruin your clutch.

If everything goes right the car will take off and you will need to grab second in a hurry.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that was a freakin good launch. Very impressive what was the ET on that pass.

I don't know what RPM i'd lauch at with a stocker. Maybe start around 2500 rpm. I wasn't doing that at the track. I was just sitting there at idle.

Different story with my other car I stall that car up before I go. But I'm foot braking with that thing.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I think that was a high 11 second pass. hopefully I'll be working on 10s this year.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
That is in Byron, IL

I've been to gateway, but never raced there. How much is it to test and tune? Is the inspection pretty thorough? I might not pass a full NHRA inspection... :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes and no it depends on who techs it. The guy that did my car doesn't look to close but he sort of knows who I am.

My mustang passed. He kind of looked at it and put me thru. Didn't even tell me to take my center caps off. But they can't fall off so maybe he knew that I doubt it.

I never have any trouble with my other car. Everything is good on that.

Cost me 20bucks last night to race. Last year it was 15 on street tire night and 20 on slick night. This time it was 20 I guess they went up on the price.

On saturday bracket race I pay 40 for a tech card and that's street class. 20 dollar buy back first round only

Here check this out
Gateway International Raceway

if you ever go let me know I'd like to see your car. I'll bring mine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts