Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have had a long time dream of racing harnesses in my car.
I think it would make the car look alot cooler.

I was wondering :

A. Will my stock seats be ok?
B. Iv seen some people mount them to the 4 bolts that hold the seat in. Is that safe?

If you have any suggestions let me know

My goal is to have the front to be on a harness and the back seats be still be usable.
I dont mind having to have someone crawl under or sit between the straps.
Also how much better do you think il be able to pick up chicks?

Thanks!

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Get some GOOD racing seats and anything more than your stock 3 pt. harness is not necessary unless it is a rules requirement or something.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Harnesses are a cheap way of making up for the stock shitty seats. I recommend seats over harnesses. That being said, you can use the stock seats if you fab up a bit to hold the shoulder straps in place. The other issue is where you mount the should straps behind you. I can't remember the angle, but there is an angle that you don't want to go past between the seat and where you mount the rear belts. Too sharp an angle and you can compress your spine in an accident.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hey all,

I have had a long time dream of racing harnesses in my car.
I think it would make the car look alot cooler.

I was wondering :

A. Will my stock seats be ok?
B. Iv seen some people mount them to the 4 bolts that hold the seat in. Is that safe?

If you have any suggestions let me know

My goal is to have the front to be on a harness and the back seats be still be usable.
I dont mind having to have someone crawl under or sit between the straps.
Also how much better do you think il be able to pick up chicks?

Thanks!

thats gotta be a joke.........right?:confused:

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Note really a joke, idk iv always loved racing harnesses, Yes i know there total overkill but idk I just really love them. I think seats might be the better option for now.

I saw a car at a carshow with the harness bolted to the 4 floor bolts. At first glance it looked good but idk i had some concerns about the seat snapping and back getting hurt in a collision.

Also i wouldnt call it rice lol... My car isnt the fastest in town. But I take it to Mustang shows often. So for me looks matter.

how hard is it to change out seats in these cars?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I disagree that racing seats are overkill :no

Pepe my sig and see the Recaro's I run that are extremely comfortable. The "slippery as blocks of ice" stockers I had in my car when I purchased it, were a total joke. Long before I went Griggs, I went Recaro's to keep me planted reguardless of how I drive. I slid all over the place and was downright dangerous to take even the most moddest turn on those things. I run the stock 3 point belts and am completely motionless 100% of the time I drive including my day around Infineon and about 7 AX events so far.

Jazzer... on plantin' that ass :)

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Also i wouldnt call it rice lol... My car isnt the fastest in town. But I take it to Mustang shows often. So for me looks matter
Race Harness = Race Car:p

Are You taking that thing to HIN...

Im not trying to give you a hard time here, just giving you my honest opinion
If i seen your car at a Show.And seen it had 5 point harness i would laugh...

11.99 E/T

By the time a car is capable of running between 11.00 and 11.99 seconds in the quarter-mile, safety requirements are especially important. Up until this point, factory seatbelts are acceptable, but in the 11-second-and-quicker time zone you need a quality safety harness. The minimum requirement is a 3-inch-wide, five-point harness meeting SFI spec 16.1. The 1995 National Hot Rod Association Rulebook outlines the proper way to mount the shoulder harness and belts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a harness Bar

Several companies make harness bars for road track events. I like mine. I am not sure this is the way to go for straight line super cars!
Rick

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Iv heard of these bars.

Where would I be able to find one?

What do you all think would work better
Racing seats or a Harness?

My seats right now have seat covers and the seat overall is very slippery. I end up having to try to hold myself in place when i drive "Quickly".

Also i think my car runs somewere in the 13's. I havnt been able to run it seeing as my parents refuse to sign the waiver.

Motor wise im starting to get to the point were I want it. My original goal was to be a Camaro killer and as I am now able to keep up with some corvettes im very happy with my car =)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do a google search on mustang harness bar

Iv heard of these bars.

Where would I be able to find one?

What do you all think would work better
Racing seats or a Harness?

My seats right now have seat covers and the seat overall is very slippery. I end up having to try to hold myself in place when i drive "Quickly".

Also i think my car runs somewere in the 13's. I havnt been able to run it seeing as my parents refuse to sign the waiver.

Motor wise im starting to get to the point were I want it. My original goal was to be a Camaro killer and as I am now able to keep up with some corvettes im very happy with my car =)
If you are running in the 13s and just doing straight line you really should be ok with just twisting the seat belt a few times before you click it. Road track leather seats are slippery.

Good luck..

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Seeing as you think it will go 13s.You have more done to it now then you have listed in your Garage right?
And what corvettes are you keeping up with a 93 TPI Corvette?Or am i missing something?

And that sucks they won't sign the waiver.My dad was quick to when i was younger because he knew it would keep me off the street:yes

Honestly i would but the summit race seats there all black and look like leather i think there pleather:eek:,And it will hold you in place for your "Quick" Driving.

Harness bars are $100 +/-
Mustang 99-04 03 Seat Belt SeatBelt Harness Bar BK 9057:eBay Motors (item 280332273417 end time Oct-06-09 15:08:39 PDT)

Then you can get a Wrap around harness (Black,Blue,Red)
G-FORCE Racing 7140BK - G-FORCE Camlock Drag Racing Harness Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

There is also this style which is a tad cheaper
RJS Racing Equipment 50502-16-234 - RJS Latch-Type Harness Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
im putting 4 point in my bullitt using the bottom 2 bolts from the original seat belt, the cross bar, from where the highest point og the seat belt was, and for the shoulder straps. ill probably just use the rear floor bolts for the seat. you only live once right???!

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Do NOT put a 4, 5 or 6 point harness in your car if you don't have a rollbar in it. That's a HUGE no-no, and incredibly unsafe should you ever be in a rollover.

If you're not wanting to put a rollbar in, go with what Jazzer said and put good seats in.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Do NOT put a 4, 5 or 6 point harness in your car if you don't have a rollbar in it. That's a HUGE no-no, and incredibly unsafe should you ever be in a rollover.

If you're not wanting to put a rollbar in, go with what Jazzer said and put good seats in.
not entirely true. A Harness bar would be fine. But it needs to be installed correctly.

Ok, when installing the harnesses, you can not have the mounting location of the shoulder straps be greater than a 30 degree angle from the horizontal. That means, no you CAN NOT mount it to the 4 bolts your seat is mounted with.

You also, need to make sure your lap belt is positioned correctly, twisting the belt a bunch of times is not a good idea, its adding stress to a belt specifically designed for a certain application. You don't bash a hammer with the handle end and expect it to work correctly do you?

The roll bar concern is that the harness will hold you in a more rigid position than the stock belts will in the even of a roll over. I don't really believe that is true, but its up to you. I don't recall hearing a good answer to this.

My 2 cents, get race seats. I had an evo for a while and it had normal belts, but recaro seats. They held me in place without an issue, despite the normal 3 point belt. I am planning on pulling the 4 point harness I have in my mustang currently, and getting racing seats instead. Maybe some day, when I get a roll bar, I will put them back in, but not likely (I'll get 5 points instead).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts