Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 03 Mach 1 and it had flowmaster exhaust on it and otherwise its stock. I bought a 2 year warranty for it and was kinda wondering if i got RAI would I void my warranty? I was going to get an intake spacer and RAI for intake and then probably shorty headers but dont want to void the warranty.
Also do all Mach's chirp 4th? I have heard people do 3rd but I get 4th which seems a bit odd for basically stock.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
4th ide say your either running bald tires or your a pretty good shifter. I couldnt chirp third until I got my mgw short throw in. but ive never chirped 4th.

by the way JLT for the win!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Dude I think the shaker hood is a great way of getting air, dont do intake, do long tubes and the rest of the exhaust. That intake is not holding you up one bit. Unless of course you can find dynos proving me wrong but man id much rather do long tubes and maybe some chassis work

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
C&L (which is what I have) has an intake that utilizes the shaker, so does K&N and steeda. The intake won't do anything to the intake, but the intake spacer will. The headers will probably give you warranty trouble as well. I would say get a good intake and MAF setup then just do mid pipe and cat back, and a twin 62mm or twin 65mm TB

Link to C&L setup. They have great stuff. There is a dyno chart on the same page. C&L MAF system for 03-04 Mach 1 Mustangs

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Dude I think the shaker hood is a great way of getting air, dont do intake, do long tubes and the rest of the exhaust. That intake is not holding you up one bit. Unless of course you can find dynos proving me wrong but man id much rather do long tubes and maybe some chassis work
He is going to need to get an aftermarket intake inlet. The stock one is restrictive. The shaker isnt as functional as you think it is. And he might not have enough time or money to do long tubes just yet.

Get the intake dude, its a worthwhile mod. And I also have the C&L and I love it. People complain that the C&L's have heatsoak issues but I have yet to experience any.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You can get any mod you want as long as you talk to the dealership. The dealership by me will let just about anything go as long as they install or certify the install of the stuff.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
The intake shouldn't void anything. I've heard good things about the C&L RAI and I personally have a JLT RAI with no complaints from it. There is a performance difference, but just like any other mod you need to do more mods to get more from the first. A midpipe would be next on the list for me if I were you. What good is a bigger intake if you can't get it out because of the restricted exhaust?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The intake I was looking at had an intake inlet with the package. I read I think on the JLT website that you gain 16 hp to the wheels which is damn good and the C&L gained about 9. Also JLT was 160 which is almost 100 bucks less. Not sure if the hp gains are true or not with the JLT.
What will the intake spacer do? The shaker should still be functional with one I would think.
Heard Long Tubes are a pain in the a to put on. I bought my car from a Mazda dealership of all places and they gave me a 2 year extended warranty with the exhaust already on it so I could probably get headers put on there and say it came with the car lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also thanks for the C&L link, Ill read up on them for sure

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
um excuse me?

2003-2004 MACH I JLT Ram Air Intake With SHAKER hook up! 2003-2004 MACH I JLT True Ram Air Intake [RAI-FMM-0304] - $150.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

this is what i bought. and infact the shaker does stay functional.

and how can any of you say that the shaker is useless? when you hit the throttle air gets sucked through the intake pipe. both places ( fender and shaker) feed air( not so much the shaker until ur on the throttle) but I am a firm beleiver that when your on the throttle the shaker indeed provides a good sorc of cool air. to say its useless is insane. IMHO

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
also i highly doubt ANY intake is adding more than about 5 whp if that.

im adding jlt intake ( keeps shaker functional), dr gas x pipe, and a sct xcal tuner, and expecting to gain 35-40whp. when something advertises " 25hp added" basicly u gota figure the advertising gimic which means they over advertise to make a sale and also they are refering to crank HP NOT WHP. so that 25 actually is gona turn into something way lower like 18 crank or some crap. im not sure how much is actually lost from the crank to the wheels but I know its no where near what you think..

i am learning alot of people also tend to think trans am's have 350hp stock.. bc its got a ( for example) LS1 350 .. well they have 320hp.. and thats NOT wheel hp either. haha

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I highly doubt a JLT intake is gonna give you 14-18rwhp, especialy on a stock MAF.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I highly doubt a JLT intake is gonna give you 14-18rwhp, especialy on a stock MAF.

like i said, i dont think any intake is going to add anything near 14-18 RWHP.. if anything crank hp. big difference!!

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Yea no doubt. I would say get a bigger MAF no matter which intake you go with. The intake pipe itself is not the big gain piece. Its the MAF and TB.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
You're not going to gain that much hp with just the intake alone. That's why I said in my previous post that bolt-ons, for the most part, compliment each other. The more you get the better gain you will see from each individual mod.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought that seemed high but I got this from the JLT website.....

stock with Accel Drop in filter
This car had great gains. Peak gains were 14 RWHP and 19 RWTQ. These gains were through out the rpm range!

The JLT is in red. This car went way rich after the JLT CAI install and still made huge power. I have seen a JLT RAI on a MACH I with a custom tune gain as much as 40+ RWHP!!! A tune will help any mod.

Is there something that im missing that adds the extra power. The only thing I see unless I am blind which is quite possible is that CAI adds more power than RAI. Also, says the car went rich.....this isn't common is it cause I dont have the extra money for a dyno tune just yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What MAF and TB do you suggest for the Mach and how much will I be looking forward to spending.....and again can't void the warranty. I talked to the place I bought the car from and they are really lienant with what they care about. Just no chips or cam or anything of that sort.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
um excuse me?

2003-2004 MACH I JLT Ram Air Intake With SHAKER hook up! 2003-2004 MACH I JLT True Ram Air Intake [RAI-FMM-0304] - $150.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

this is what i bought. and infact the shaker does stay functional.

and how can any of you say that the shaker is useless? when you hit the throttle air gets sucked through the intake pipe. both places ( fender and shaker) feed air( not so much the shaker until ur on the throttle) but I am a firm beleiver that when your on the throttle the shaker indeed provides a good sorc of cool air. to say its useless is insane. IMHO
Who said anything about the shaker not being functional or useless? If you would read I stated that it is not as functional as you think it is. And it is indeed not. Go to the registry and ask them. Some people believe it is USELESS, but I am not one of those. But I do believe people overestimate the 'power' gained by the shaker system.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Who said anything about the shaker not being functional or useless? If you would read I stated that it is not as functional as you think it is. And it is indeed not. Go to the registry and ask them. Some people believe it is USELESS, but I am not one of those. But I do believe people overestimate the 'power' gained by the shaker system.

yeah I know what you said. I was just stating that people say its useless.. etc... everyone beleives what they want I care not!

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
yeah I know what you said. I was just stating that people say its useless.. etc... everyone beleives what they want I care not!
i had heard at one point in time that the aerodynamics of our cars make the shaker ineffecient at best, not totally useless. but who knows

1 - 20 of 22 Posts