Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set-up;
Vortech FMIC with the biggest K&N they make in the fender followed by a 4" DIY power pipe

So we have had a crazy amount of rain in the last few days and I had to daily my car all summer due to the wife getting a lease (against my will) that quickly ran out of miles.
Anyway,

A few years ago I drilled and tapped my intercooler on the bottom of each end tank just in case I ever ended up with water in the cooler. I haven't had any issue until now so I'm glad I did.

Symptoms:

Problems start at about half throttle or when ever the blow off valve decides to close allowing air to be forced into the engine. The water will be picked up and tossed at your MAF and right down you intake causing what feels like a complete shutdown of the combustion process. When it happened the motor shut down so immediately (also with some possible backpressure) that the rear wheels chirped from stopping.

I knew that the rain had been really bad so I opened up the bolts in the bottom of my inter cooler and revved the motor a bit. I probably drained about a cup out of the IC.

I drive 30 miles to and from work and it had been heavy rain for almost 4 days straight.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I had that happen once and my CAI is up by the hood in the standard ProCharger position. I went through water so deep it actually came in under the doors. Water went into the CAI, through the head unit, through the intercooler, through all the piping and fouled the MAF. The car didn't want to run. It would maybe only go a couple of hundred rpm above idle. Every time I opened the throttle it coughed and sputtered and tried to die.

I had it towed to the shop. They cleaned the MAF. Apparently the water fouled the MAF to a point that it stopped metering air. That meant the ECU stopped adding fuel so when I opened the throttle I got all air and no fuel. After they cleaned the MAF the car ran great.

I am really grateful that I was not running a power pipe with the CAI in the fender. I did not get as much water as you did. I have read posts about people hydro-locking their motors. Water does not compress. If it gets into the cylinder the result is usually a bent pushrod.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Sorry to hear, but still don't get how this happens unless you're almost dragging your filter on the ground or going through some huge streams or puddles. Wet road with a littke splash should not be enough for the filter to suck up water. Drove mine through blizzards and parked outside in winters and never had an issue. Bottom of the filter was even with the bottom of the bumper and partially covered by the inner fender splash guard.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
When it's raining out you can get a pretty good mist going, which will easily go through the filter. In addition with high humidity, a low duty cycle and a very efficient intercooler it's also very easy to condense a lot of water out of the air in the intercooler.

What happens is in that condition you condense a lot of water, but the air isn't moving fast enough to move it out of the intercooler so it just collects. Then as soon as you step on it, this huge slug of water comes into the engine and usually it just falls on its face.

There's all sorts of things you can do to mitigate it, some more practical than others.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I have always told my wife that it is necessary to romp on it every day to clean the carbon out.:wink2: Now I can add condensation in the intercooler as another reason.

P.S. I also tell her I have no idea why my back tires wear our faster than my front tires. But she doesn't believe me.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear, but still don't get how this happens unless you're almost dragging your filter on the ground or going through some huge streams or puddles. Wet road with a littke splash should not be enough for the filter to suck up water. Drove mine through blizzards and parked outside in winters and never had an issue. Bottom of the filter was even with the bottom of the bumper and partially covered by the inner fender splash guard.
This was no normal rain man it was some torrential **** that lasted 4 days and I drive about 55 miles a day in stop and go conditions. Like I said I have never had this issue before and I have driven in normal rain many time this year without any issues. For whatever reason it happened and when I was installing the supercharger I had read a thread on this forum where a guy had this issue and blew through cash replacing coils and MAF among other things before finding out it was a water logged IC. So while it was getting installed I drilled and tapped it. Just so happened it was a good Idea, but I bet I could just as easily take the exit pipe off the IC and rev the car a few times to blow the water out. Then just leave the pipe off for a day or so to evaporate the residual water.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Could try to make a splash shield underneath the filter to keep anything from kicking up into it. Not sure where your filter placement is on a power pipe though. My procharger i just ran a giant silicone elbow and a filter right on the end of it. Never had an issues with that.

Are the drain cocks you put in the intercooler well sealed? Is water pouring in theough there when fording deep puddles?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could try to make a splash shield underneath the filter to keep anything from kicking up into it. Not sure where your filter placement is on a power pipe though. My procharger i just ran a giant silicone elbow and a filter right on the end of it. Never had an issues with that.

Are the drain cocks you put in the intercooler well sealed? Is water pouring in theough there when fording deep puddles?
I want to say the are 3/8 fine thread and I slapped some pipe dope on them when I putt them in. I highly doubt they are leaking. I never normally drive the car in rain unless it is unanticipated but sine the wife decided to lease I have no choice but to daily the car all summer. It will go back to being a fair weather car when I get my new Ecoboot Flex back from having the transfer case TSB performed. Already have a catless set of down pipes and an sct x4 for it. That is going to be a fun daily/family car.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
I had this very same issue every single time I drove in heavy rain. Best thing I ever did was get rid of the powerpipe and just threw a filter right on the head unit. I gained 1-2 psi and never had a problem again. Also if you have a good IC, I have the mishimoto R, the temp diff between the engine bay and fenderwell when being sucked up and compressed is almost negligible.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/foru...s-intake-questions.html?nocache=1534464000000

look at post #9

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Mostly it is the MAF signal getting messed up from being sprayed with a light mist of water. Definitely not good on your engine to have that amount of water in your intake side.

Reactions: Eagle2000GT
1 - 10 of 10 Posts