1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some searching, located my tripod.... so feeling like playing with the
Rebel. But, of course, after polishing and detailing the car for 8 hours, it's
now raining.

These are just some test shots. Trying to learn the camera a bit.

Shots are taken on Tv, or shutter speed setting. Various shutter speeds.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
It's so wet

:shiftyeyes

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I don't know if this helps zip, but I use TV when I want no camera shake while I hand hold a shot in low light. I know I can hand hold to 1/80th in dim light, but because I am a Monster Energy, coffee, rockstar drinker, I shake a lot. My sharpest shots to date fall at about 1/125th to 1/160th when at a full crop. I'm talking tack sharp details in eye cornea type stuff.

Now if I was shooting at dusk like that I'd go full manual, on a tripod. Pick my aperature setting for depth of field and background blur while keeping as much of the car sharo as possible, then use the shutter speed that puts me dead center on the xti's internal light meter. As long as your on a tripod it won't matter how slow a shutter is required. Hand held is a different story.

As mentioned the view finder will flash in the TV and AV modes when a setting is too far off the spectrum of use.

Hope my methodology helps- it works for me at dusk and dawn very well.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know if this helps zip, but I use TV when I want no camera shake while I hand hold a shot in low light. I know I can hand hold to 1/80th in dim light, but because I am a Monster Energy, coffee, rockstar drinker, I shake a lot. My sharpest shots to date fall at about 1/125th to 1/160th when at a full crop. I'm talking tack sharp details in eye cornea type stuff.

Now if I was shooting at dusk like that I'd go full manual, on a tripod. Pick my aperature setting for depth of field and background blur while keeping as much of the car sharo as possible, then use the shutter speed that puts me dead center on the xti's internal light meter. As long as your on a tripod it won't matter how slow a shutter is required. Hand held is a different story.

As mentioned the view finder will flash in the TV and AV modes when a setting is too far off the spectrum of use.

Hope my methodology helps- it works for me at dusk and dawn very well.
Awesome. Thanks man. I'll start messing around with full manual. It's the one setting I've not messed with on any cameras. Done lots of P and Tv work with my S5, and a little Av work.

Is there a big difference in choosing aperture setting over shutter speeds when shooting with a tripod in low light settings?

And would the settings being out of range account for the different.... coloration of pictures as I tried different shutter speeds? I am certain I shot some of those with the Aperture number blinking at me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.