Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, this is about as rice as i get, but im genuinely interested in doing this and im also still seeking opinions on what to do about my filter setup

first things first, i may or may not have seen a member here do a write-up on how to do the ram headlight mod. after a little searching some results came up but the threads were so old that the photos never showed up. any current pics or links would be greatly appreciated

also looking for opnions on velocity stacks (bellmouth)
im not looking for mega gains or really any gains at that, it just seems to make more sense using these when taking the filter off for the track.
Velocity Stack 3.5"- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

so heres what im thinking:

for track/dyno time; velocity stack straight on supercharger

street use; filter only on supercharger

or possibly fabbing up an intake pipe in such a way that the velocity stack sits right behind the headlight for track use only ofcoarse

heres a quick pic of the setup

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bring me this man you call bulloch27......and you shall be heftily rewarded with luscious reps!!!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I have as threads from a few years back about making my ram air headlight. I'm on my phone and can't search it

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Off topic, may I have sex with your intake?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Someone screen capped me. I do, in fact, have a headlight cut out. I don't have a headlight cut out for ram air. I have a headlight cut out to help control ambient air temp and allow somewhat cooler air a direct path to my filter. As i've gone over before, when I was using the car's fuel system to provide fuel for nitrous I learned that ECT of >200 and IATs of >100 spike fuel pressure as high as 65 psi to prevent vapor lock. Mine was simply to control the IATs and is still used.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just wondering why you would try to "ram air" on a S/C car?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
There's no ram air effect until you're over 100 MPH or so. I believe the main purpose is just to get cooler air into the filter..

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I followed most of this but some of it is beyond me. I fail to see how a diverging scoop compresses air. I was aware that the air had to be slowed down. I thought that was what the scoop was for. Air is moving up over the vehicle. The scoop grabs it and slows it down creating a pressure inside the scoop. And there is force associated with that or else people who try to make their hood scoops functional wouldn't have the problem of them being ripped off the hood. But a diverging scoop? I am not an engineer but I know that a fluid entering an expansion chamber expands and cools. Less mass means less pressure.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I followed most of this but some of it is beyond me. I fail to see how a diverging scoop compresses air. I was aware that the air had to be slowed down. I thought that was what the scoop was for. Air is moving up over the vehicle. The scoop grabs it and slows it down creating a pressure inside the scoop. And there is force associated with that or else people who try to make their hood scoops functional wouldn't have the problem of them being ripped off the hood. But a diverging scoop? I am not an engineer but I know that a fluid entering an expansion chamber expands and cools. Less mass means less pressure.
Yeah it gave me flashbacks of taking compressible fluid dynamics in college and the pages upon pages of converging/diverging nozzle problems, and I'm not so sure about the author's conclusions.

I would say "ram air" in this case is beneficial, but not in the sense that it creates increased pressure. You're still dramatically dropping IAT and intake restriction.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woah guys im waaaaay past the whole ram air idea, im not looking for any gains what so ever, i just simply called it a ram air headlight for searching purposes. The reason i like the idea of it is to bring in said fresh air and ambient temps wile at the track or dyno in an efficient manner. It just seemed like it made sense to throw a 40$ velocity stack on to decrease the turbulence of the drawn in air along with fresh air coming in from the headlight.

With that being said the pics look very nice and very well done, i have a spare headlight to toy around with so i said why not, and more pics or non-ancient writeups would be nice

Also for those with it done what would be the best tool and method for this job

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have as threads from a few years back about making my ram air headlight. I'm on my phone and can't search it

I believe it was your thread where the photobucket phtots didnt show up

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I believe it was your thread where the photobucket phtots didnt show up
Yes that would be i

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20