Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this pi thing ive never really heard of it can some one explain it to me umm somewhat detailed they seem to be the thing to do to 96-98's and i might have to pick one up

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
pi = performance improvement
better heads, cams, and intake manifold. Because the performance of the 96-98's sucked so bad, ford Improved the engine for the 99-04 models. The parts improved are called PI. To get this improvement, all you have to do is upgrade you heads, cams, and intake manifold to PI stuff. You can get everything brand new for under $1,500. A full PI upgrade on a stock 96-98, should put you at 265fwhp. If you plan on doing this, you should look into upgrading to stage 2 heads and cams for only a little more. With full exhaust, you could be looking at over 300rwhp.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
yes very good juco....by stage II he means either find a company that already makes stage I,II,III heads (no not aftermarket heads) OOORRR take your PI heads and get the ported and polished and get better cams.....VT I,II....Comp 270's and 278's (i think)....and Crower makes nice cams I,II,III.....OORRR you can go even further and get custom ground cams by any of those makers (except VT) and they will make your cams for exaclty what your looking to do with you car!!!!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
and they dont make any aftermarket heads other then svo's iirc... sad, all the stage 1s and 2s are just portjobs...

·
Registered
187 Posts
stage 2 VTS FTW.. best performance,best sound;)

you need to change your valve springs for stage 2s. with the VTs i had to go with crower cause comp cams dosent make a spring to support that lift.

imo go with stock pi heads ported out.

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
when you go with vt2's you have to change the valves and springs?

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
yup....usaully any stage II cam you need a new valvetrain to support the high lift and all that good stuff about cams

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
stage 2 VTS FTW.. best performance,best sound;)

you need to change your valve springs for stage 2s. with the VTs i had to go with crower cause comp cams dosent make a spring to support that lift.

imo go with stock pi heads ported out.
Crower has been on back order for these springs for ever. I went with comps and will have no problem at all...

·
Registered
187 Posts
just got a set of crower springs. last one on the shelf, along with the second last sets of +1mm intake and exhaust valves from manley. busy time of year.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
just got a set of crower springs. last one on the shelf, along with the second last sets of +1mm intake and exhaust valves from manley. busy time of year.
no ****.......... people store/work on there cars when snows on the ground and they can't drive them....

****, i haven't put more then 200 miles on my car since xmas

·
Registered
187 Posts
no ****.......... people store/work on there cars when snows on the ground and they can't drive them....

****, i haven't put more then 200 miles on my car since xmas
my babys been under 2 feet of snow since december 1st :(

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pi = performance improvement
better heads, cams, and intake manifold. Because the performance of the 96-98's sucked so bad, ford Improved the engine for the 99-04 models. The parts improved are called PI. To get this improvement, all you have to do is upgrade you heads, cams, and intake manifold to PI stuff. You can get everything brand new for under $1,500. A full PI upgrade on a stock 96-98, should put you at 265fwhp. If you plan on doing this, you should look into upgrading to stage 2 heads and cams for only a little more. With full exhaust, you could be looking at over 300rwhp.

alright so if it comes ona 99-04 why pay 1500 bucks when you can get the whole damn engine for around a grand outa a junkyard and the installation is prolly cheaper too maybe

·
Registered
187 Posts
Got my pi block for 400. Installation is probably around 1000 with a good Tune.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts